•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Going 2 inch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 February 2004 - 06:32 PM

Friends:

New here and have read many past posts to get caught up.

Asked and answered, I know (El Nino and deja vu all over again): BUT, as far as I can tell from this and related groups, a 2 inch visual back and nice diagonal are worth it, and I am convinced to get these for my 9.25 GPS (which I love) but why not 2 inch EPs? Maybe the 2 inch VB is not actually sending thru any additional light? Any fresh opinions would be appreciated. I'm saving for a big dob to complement the 9.25, so the 2 inch EPs would serve double duty.

P.S. Report: Got the 9.25 in November, works well in backyard and dark sky site, where it hunts down faint galaxies almost as well as the big guys, though with less visual bang. I did just learn about alt calibrate (mentioned somewhere here), as OTA would not come up to level during alignment, and that seemed to fix it. Go to and tracking are fine on a leveled tripod. HC "wing" from S and S Optica in Denver makes HC easier to use and offers platform for a handwarmer to keep HC from freezing, but I also drive with The Sky and NexStar Observer List (NSOL), which is totally wonderful freeware! Thanks to Michael Swanson! BTW: posted recipe for portable observing light-blocking panels on "articles" discussion list, FYI.

Cheers,
Bill Travis
9.25 gps
big dob dreams

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 February 2004 - 07:55 PM

Hi Bill and Welcome! I opted for a 2" WO diagonal, specifically for a purchased 35mm Panoptic. Absolutely no regrets. They provide quite the view and I start virtually all my searches with them. Provides 1 degree of true FOV. However, I haven't purchased another 2" EP. Expect I might in the future but I've got a few shorter focal length EP on my shopping list. 2" EP do not exist for focal lengths under ~26mm unless you can go for Naglers.

BTW, I wasn't able to find S&S in Denver. I'm very interested in learning more about the HC wing. Thanks!

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 February 2004 - 08:28 PM

Dennis:

Right, S and S Optica, the C dealer in Denver, has no website of which I am aware. The wing is a sturdy dark plexiglass contraption that slots into the HC receiver on the fork and offers a small tilted table on which the HC hangs, facing you. I don't know if they created them but I had the impression they frabricate them here (no brand name on it), but I have seen at least one similar item somewhere on the web, made of metal I believe. Around 20 bucks. 303-789-1089, closed Mondays, I think, and a very nice locally-owned business. However, the HC is still up above you when you're seated, an tilted upward, so not a perfect solution.
PS: I did lift 9.25 and 11 before buying at S and S and actually felt the weight difference, as did my wife. We like the 9.25.
I'm in for a 2 in diagonal and EP, then, but did you change to 2 inch visual back?
Cheers,
Bill

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 February 2004 - 08:50 PM

Yes, got a Televue 2" visual back. The WO 2" diagonal has the 1 1/4" adapter so it works for all EPs.

I did the same lift test before deciding on the 9.25. I keep it on the tripod on my porch and carry it assembled out to my lawn. Was worried that the extra 7 pounds might have been just enough to pop who knows what!!!! :shocked:

Thanks for the number for S&S. I'll give them a call tommorrow!

Till next time ...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics