•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

new PN in glare of Aldebaran ?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:26 PM

Last night I took some images of the Aldebaran field [below] and comparing them to Wikisky DSS2 for stars mags. 

On Wikisky I noted a circular and evenly illuminated but faint disk-like object ~22"-arc in diameter in the glare of Aldebaran.  It's located 9'-arc Sf Aldebaran @ RA04 36 30 Dec+16 26 03 [2000.0] and looks like planetary nebula with central star !  There are many faint galaxies in the field too at ~m15 and fainter.

A check of POSS1/2 blue/ red plates and Hubble images all showed the same object at the same location which ruled out an artefact from Aldebaran or cometary in nature.  A Google search by myself and a deepsky observing buddy both drew blanks - he thought it may be a galaxy but I still favour a PN.  This internet image [seems identical to Wikisky DSS2] @ https://coraskywalke...aldebaran32.jpg shows the object near centre of the lower left quadrant.

I hope to reimage the area soon.  :waytogo:

What does the Forum make of it?

Attached Thumbnails

• atau-pn141129x45smg.jpg

Edited by nytecam, 30 November 2014 - 02:33 PM.

• Sasa likes this

#2 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

Looks like a planetary with a nice central star. Doesn't really look like a galaxy to me, but who knows. I examined the field using Aladin; the object is visible in a bunch of surveys, but apparently has not been cataloged. Good find!

#3 kt4hx

kt4hx

Ranger 4

• Loc: Fredericksburg, Va

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:28 PM

To my eye, looking at WikiSky, it appears like it could be a face-on galaxy with a very bright core.  I also see what appears to be foreground stars involved with the halo to the 10 and 3 o'clock positions.  But I could be wrong.  Have you considered contacting either the RAS or a local observatory to see what they make of it?

#4 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

My impression is that this is likely a galaxy. A PN would be rather more interesting, though.

#5 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Cosmos

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

A PN would definitely be extremely interesting! Someone with a big scope and a spectroscope needs to look into this.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#6 scopethis

scopethis

Voyager 1

• Loc: Kingman, Ks

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:34 PM

do nebula filters reveal more?

#7 WeltevredenKaroo

WeltevredenKaroo

Ranger 4

• Loc: 31°51'09" S 24°25'47" E Weltevreden farm, Karoo highlands, South Africa

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

Simbad in a hirez DSS image shows what appears to be a face-on spiral in your coords. Distinct core and one arm on r. side seems evident, though background scatter in surrounding 4 fields of the same dia. make it chancy to ID as a grand design. NED gives "no results" for a 3' dia search but returns 3 objects in a 4' search. One, at 04h36m31.5s +16d29m07s, is CXO J043631.5+162906 (crosshairs in att'd image), an x-ray emitter. GALEX doesn't return any info on a position search for this, but the position wrt yours would indicate a possible soft xray source on the edge of bulge. Your object's core doesn't seem notably brighter than the hinted spiral structure, so the xray source isn't an AGN suspect. Pity about the unlikelihood of a PN, but you enlivened the godawful mist above my astro-pad with something to call a sighting for the night. =Dana

CXO J043631.5+162906.png

#8 WeltevredenKaroo

WeltevredenKaroo

Ranger 4

• Loc: 31°51'09" S 24°25'47" E Weltevreden farm, Karoo highlands, South Africa

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

PS about the pic position. I wanted it at the bottom. Dunno how it got where it is. =D

#9 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

PS about the pic position. I wanted it at the bottom. Dunno how it got where it is. =D

I fixed it for you! :grin:

#10 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:33 PM

I processed the wikisky image in a couple different programs to try an extract it a little better. I'm guessing it's a galaxy based on the knotty core.

Neat find.

Pete

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20141206_232424.jpg

#11 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:29 AM

Oh my, just dawned on me. If this is glowing gas we'd be obligated to call it the Nyte Nebula. 

Hmmm... could work.

Pete

#12 kt4hx

kt4hx

Ranger 4

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:42 AM

How would you pronounce that, like nightie?  :)

Edited by kt4hx, 07 December 2014 - 12:43 AM.

#13 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Vanguard

• Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

Looks like a PNe with a bright central star.

#14 blb

blb

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

Until someone with a big scope and a spectroscope looks into this, all we can do is debate what it looks like for whoever is looking at the photo. So, has it been reported to anyone who can identify this object?

#15 kt4hx

kt4hx

Ranger 4

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:55 PM

Well I suggested the OP contact the RAS or a local observatory asking what they make of it, but he's not commented further in this thread.  I know someone affiliated with McDonald Observatory, but was waiting for the OP to make his move since he spotted it first.  I'm sure several here likely have contacts at observatories or universities.  Whether such places would devote any time to checking into is another matter.

#16 Feidb

Feidb

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:02 AM

Hard to say what it is for sure. In the first image, I think the box was off a tad because I couldn't see anything at all. I'm glad for the enhanced image Pete posted. Now it actually looks like something but whether it's a galaxy or a planetary, I still can't tell for sure. My guess is a galaxy, just because of the cut through the glare. For some reason, I just don't think a planetary would show through the glare like a galaxy would. It will be interesting to see what this thing really is.

#17 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:40 PM

Thanks everyone for your interest and comments :waytogo:

Well I suggested the OP contact the RAS or a local observatory asking what they make of it, but he's not commented further in this thread.  I know someone affiliated with McDonald Observatory, but was waiting for the OP to make his move since he spotted it first.  I'm sure several here likely have contacts at observatories or universities.  Whether such places would devote any time to checking into is another matter.

Hi Alan - I have been active on this one [even before my post here -  one suggested I post here!] and contacted a number of top AP in UK and one on CN but no results so far.  A couple responded that they don't aim their cameras so close to a star this bright as it could damage the sensor - a very reasonable restraint.  This is probably one reason the object is not catelogued by the professionals.

Ideally it needs a spectrogram.  It needn't be of high resolution but a slit spectrograph to isolate the object from Aldebaran.  Even so there will be a spill-over of Aldebaran's glare in an exposure sufficient to record onto object's spectrum.   The characteristic emission lines of H-alpha/beta and OIII would be sufficient to define a PNe and a general continuum [even spectrum and no emission lines - mostly] for a galaxy.  As Aldebaran in orange star with K-type spectrum then a green filter, or better an OIII/H-beta filter[s], would partially supress Aldebaran.   Perhaps even some careful photometry with these filters could define a PNe or otherwise.

I've done some low-res spectroscopy in the past but this object is too faint for me here under London LP. I have some more to contact at an amateur level doing top spectroscopy so we shall see. 

Thanks again for your interest. :grin:

• IVM likes this

#18 kt4hx

kt4hx

Ranger 4

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:29 PM

Thanks, glad to know you were working it behind the scenes.  I do understand the point about not aiming so close to a bright star due to the sensor.  Hopefully someone can employ the correct tools to sniff out its true nature.  Or, it may simply remain one of those mystery objects.  Thanks for the follow-up!

#19 Jan Hattenbach

Jan Hattenbach

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chile

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:34 AM

Hi,

first off, I am new here and would like to say "Hi" to everyone!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but in a German forum someone dug up a different image, done by a British amateur, which might show the object as well.

I did a crop of it in my blog (scroll to the last image).

Very interesting indeed!

CS, Jan

Edited by Jan Hattenbach, 17 December 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#20 Jan Hattenbach

Jan Hattenbach

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:01 AM

It's also visible in all ther 2MASS bands - different instrument, different wavelength: https://twitter.com/...228837370724352

#21 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:07 AM

Hi,first off, I am new here and would like to say "Hi" to everyone!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but in a German forum someone dug up a different image, done by a British amateur, which might show the object as well.

I did a crop of it in my blog (scroll to the last image).

Very interesting indeed!

CS, Jan

Thanks Jan for the post and investigation - a spectrum should confirm either PNe or galaxy but it's too faint for mine.
As the 'finder' of the object I'm hoping for PN Gavin1 but Gx Gavin1 would do - haha  :waytogo:

best
Nytecam aka Maurice Gavin - Worcester Park Ob - UK  http://home.freeuk.c...in/cnlinks.html

#22 Jan Hattenbach

Jan Hattenbach

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:16 AM

Hi,

I sifted through Aladin Lite yesterday, and found the object on 2MASS and WISE images:

Somehow attachments are 'too big', I put them in my blog: http://skylightsblog...tshined-by.html

CS, Jan

#23 JakeSaloranta

JakeSaloranta

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Finlandia

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:28 AM

Quite a bit of hype on an object that looks like an obvious galaxy but a keen eyed discovery none the less. It is also already cataloged as a 2MASS-object (04363007+1626035).

Also, I'd like to point out that amateur discoveries aren't "very rare" - there just aren't many people doing them and especially publishing their finds. Finding anonymous objects from a DSS-photograph are nearly like a dime a dozen - although it is getting a bit harder than it used to be 10 years or so ago. The main problem - like in here - is to find out what kind of object it really is. For it, you either need good contacts or a decent equipment of your own.

Edited by JakeSaloranta, 20 December 2014 - 05:31 AM.

#24 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:00 AM

Thanks Jake for your support - I seemed to have joined you in the 'dime a dozen' stakes - still awaiting your SN discovery though :waytogo:

#25 Jost Jahn

Jost Jahn

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:33 PM

And here is my image:

nebula-near-aldebaran.jpg

• nytecam and Feidb like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics