•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binocular FAQs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:19 PM

I am putting togehter a FAQ for the first CN FAQ. I am pretty thin on binocular terms and definitions. We have lots of normal astro terms and defs...

What is BAK4? Roof binocs? etc...

Don't assume I have any data! Give me as much as you can stand and it will make it into the first pass of the FAQ.

Thanks, Tom

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:39 PM

it would take 20 pages of typing to answer Binoc FAQ. Instead, refer to the best of posts. I know that's not what your looking for, but that's kind of what prompted us to put together the "Best Of Binocular posts" in the first place. It's all out there, the best of posts just direct you to it.

edz

#3 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 29 February 2004 - 11:00 PM

I don't want 20 pages (yet), but 20 definitions would help. This is a pretty daunting task and we are just trying to get started on the doc. It looks good so far...just wanted to include a small section on binoculars that we can add to on an ongoing basis. I'll dig through it and see what I can pull out.

Thanks Ed!

#4 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 29 February 2004 - 11:07 PM

You may get a lot more answers to FAQ's by having a look at that article. You could cut and paste from it and it's all in one place.

edz

#5 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 01 March 2004 - 11:04 AM

That's what I meant when I said I'll dig through it. I'm sure it will do me good to read it again anyway! :)

#6 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 01 March 2004 - 11:15 AM

Also, I see in the "Best Of" links a number of topics not covered in my articles.

Bak4 vs Bak7
Twilight Factor
Terrestrial Viewing
How to Focus
Zooms

edz

#7 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:42 PM

Tom ,

I am quite willing to provide you with a "basic list" of the kind of terms I assume you are thinking about.

Let me know if you do and I'll send it as a P.M to you.

Regards --Kenny.

#8 edcannon

edcannon

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 March 2004 - 04:41 PM

I've collected some "basic" information links here:

http://wnt.cc.utexas...ars.html#basics

There are more advanced articles under "comparing/rating".

You could also Google or Yahoo for "binoculars glossary",
"binoculars terms", or "binoculars eye relief exit pupil angle field", that type of thing. There are several good glossaries out there.

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA

#9 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 01 March 2004 - 05:44 PM

Kenny, please do! I would greatly appreciate it.

Ed C, I am trying to establish a Cloudy Nights FAQ created by its members so I have been careful to only add content that has been given to me by members, in their own writing. I don't want to put CN into a potential problem with copyrights, etc... I must say that your link you provided is outstanding and would encourage EdZ to think about having a sticky thread that contains links of interest such as this.

#10 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:42 PM

Hi Tom,

I'll keep my promise --but not tonight !

I've got WAY behind with things I intended to do tonight due to an unexpected visitor.

Back soon -- Kenny.

#11 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:52 PM

Kenny, not a problem. There is no deadline other than we want to get something out to get started. Target is the next few weeks. I am working with margin_walker (Jason), Schultze (Michael) and DesertStars (Tom W) and we have gathered quite a bit. To add your name to our list of contributors would be very good for the binocular crowd and I thank you for offering to help!

#12 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:54 PM

Tom,

I'm not trying to get myself out of a little work here but if that work is not really needed then it might literally be a waste of my time :-)

Having just taken a quick "peak" at what EdC has put together there , it seems kinda crazy NOT to use it.

Great compilation Ed !

Is this REALLY a potential problem with "copyrights etc " ?

If so , what's the difference between Ed C's page and having the same info available on CN ?

Can someone please explain ?

Regards -- Kenny.

#13 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:59 PM

If we reference something in the CN FAQ from a pay per view article, then yeah...there's a problem. Actually, anyone publishing someone elses data without their consent is a potential problem.

You still have time to back out! ;)

#14 edcannon

edcannon

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 March 2004 - 11:47 PM

Thanks Tom and Kenny for the kind words. In my (hopefully less and less) naive way I've been reading and thinking a lot about binoculars for at least a couple of years and wanted to share in some way things I'd found, plus I use the links for my own site-hopping. (There is more good stuff out there yet to be found, I'm sure -- much more "yet to be written"!) BTW, I'm open to suggestions on my page.

What I meant here was just possibly to use those sites as resources in working on FAQs, as memory aids or whatever. But we have people here who know the stuff by heart, so it's just the matter of writing it up -- not necessarily a quick and easy job.

I'm very curious about 10x40 or 10x42 porros, but I still ought and prefer to keep my budget under US$200, especially since there are still the bigger ones plus tripod and mount somewhere down the road.

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA

#15 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 02 March 2004 - 02:41 AM

Tom,

If you require any kind of contribution from myself here it wuld help me greatly if I knew how much info you have got already with regard to this binocular F.A.Q project.

Little point in spending much time concentrating on anything you already have.

Regards --Kenny.

#16 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:37 PM

I have been giving this matter some considerable thought over the past 24 hours.

Basically , I want to help our friend Tom with his little project , because I think a Binocular FAQ could provide a very useful , interesting and valued feature of the CN site as a whole.

The more I think about this , the more I am coming to realise that if such a feature is to exist on CN at all , it would be a discredit to the site if it were not to be as accurate, informative and interesting as possible.

When I agreed to help Tom out with this , I started out by listing the "usual suspects" such as:

Different types of binoculars
Magnification
Objective Sizes
Exit -Pupil
Eye -Relief
TFOV and AFOV
Prisms
Twighlight factor
What one can expect to see through binoculars
Hand -holdability
Aberrations
Resolution
Contrast
Advantages of "two eyes versus one eye"
Most useful configurations ( 7 x 50 v 20 x 80 etc )
"What to buy"
"Best Buys"
"Worst Buys"
"Where to buy"

etc -- etc

I soon realised that to cover even these most basic aspects by means of definition and application ,in a way that could not infringe on "copyright" whilst remaining as concise and informative as possible , at the same time as presenting something that little bit "extra" over and above what can be found at countless existing web pages , is a challenge that could probably be better taken up by a "group" effort rather than by any one individual ( especially myself ! )

As an example ,I have tonight listed a series of "questions and explanations" that I consider anyone interested in such a FAQ feature might expect to see displayed for basic educational purposes , apertaining to just ONE of the many aspects previously mentioned - i.e "PRISMS"

1. Why do binoculars have prisms ?

2. Porro prism and Roof prism Binoculars :

(a) Differences in APPEARANCE between a porro and a roof prism binocular

(b) Differences in DESIGN between a porro and a roof prism binocular

© Differences in PERFORMANCE between a porro and a roof prism binocular

(d) Phase Correction in roof prism binoculars

(e) Why are “giant” binoculars usually of “porro prism” type ?

(f) Potential problems and faults with prisms

(g) Different types of prism “clusters”

(h) What are the differences between Bak 4 and Bk 7 prisms ?

These are just 8 questions that sprang to my mind whilst "brainstorming" the topic -- and I know there are many members amongst us with greater brains than I have.

I COULD make an effort to explain these things myself , but I KNOW that there are others members who could do the job far better.

I am therefore most humbly appealing to any fellow -member who feels capable and so inclined to at least offer to lend a hand with this little project.

With a combined effort I feel the end result COULD be a truly invaluable source of information readily available at the touch of the fingertips and a lasting "showpiece" that would be of great credit to this wonderful site.

Regards to all -- Kenny.

#17 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:04 PM

When Tom first mentioned the FAQs, I commented that in a sense, that was what got our "Best Of" threads started. These are not simple definitions you are looking for. These are, in many cases, complex explanations.

We found a way to highlight lengthy discussions and brought to the fore front the best of those discussions. Even that task requires page after page of notations and selective highlighting of posts within threads. To properly post descriptive explanations for FAQs would nearly require our readership to do it all over again.

the free flow of these forums provides as an end result the very descriptive discussions that in the end become the answers to the next groups FAQs. The real challenge is to highlight the best of that information so it does not get lost in the closets of the past. To type it all over in an effort to develop a FAQ list is a monumental task and would take a tremendous effort, a huge amount of space, a comprehensive index and a duplication of all that has been written by those that have taken the time to answer all those questions already.

I think this effort to develop a list of FAQs needs to be undertaken a different way. Go and access the material you already have. Don't try to recreate it.

I say, if you want answers to FAQ, in the binocular forum go to the Best Of threads. that's what they were created for. I think any other approach is a waste of a valuable asset, all the previous posts created by our members, and hence a waste of valuable time.

My 2 sense.

edz

#18 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2004 - 10:37 PM

You have 2 senses??? ;)

Ed, I plan to take your original suggestion (because it was good) and go through that article you directed me to, and dig through it, pull out the definitions that people take for granted, and define them for the newby. Then, I think we can expand on the FAQ.

Guys, I posted an Astronomy FAQ help thread in the Off-Topic forum, got a great response and it generated about 10 pages of FAQs already.

Those definitions you assume we all know...we don't...they need to be defined. Don't make this more than it is, ok! I will dig through that article and pull out those items that I see as needing definition, define them, and then move on.

Ed, please freeze this thread. I'm done.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics