•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astroluxe v Fujinon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Jerlogan

Jerlogan

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:35 PM

Looking for experiences/comparisons Nikon Astroluxe 18x70 v Fujinon 16x70 for astro touring a la Herrington.

Best to all,

Jerry

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:49 AM

Hi, Jerry, welcome to Binoculars.  

If you look at the "Links to 433+ Binocular Mini Reviews in this Forum" pinned at the top of the forum, you'll see a number of archived posts and tests listed alphabetically regarding the Fujinons and the Nikons.   Also make yourself comfortable with the "Best Of" section also pinned at the top of the page.  There's lots of useful information about binoculars in general, their optics, mounting options and useful accessories to be found there.  

Both binoculars are about as good as it gets for "astro touring" in this magnification/ size class.  They are excellent binoculars but they have strengths and weaknesses that may make one more suitable than the other depending on your individual requirements and tastes.  Both are relatively heavy and their higher magnification requires mounting for best results.  As with any standard straight- through design binocular, viewing astronomical objects at higher angles can be hard on the neck with typical tripod/head combos.

Rich

#3 Jerlogan

Jerlogan

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:45 AM

Thanks for the nice welcome Rich!  I appreciate you suggestions and even after viewing much of the material I'm left with the puzzle of why the Astroluxe carries a much more substantial street price than the Fujinons. In review they seem to be essentially similar in capability and build quality, yet the Astroluxe is 2x+ the Fujinon price. I'm just checking to see if I've missed something obvious that accounts for the price difference.

Again, many thanks and my best regards,

Jerry

Edited by Jerlogan, 07 December 2014 - 01:46 AM.

#4 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:06 AM

I have had the 10x70 fujinons, and they are great binoculars
are the nikons better-maybe?
are they worth the difference-doubtful?

most will be very happy with either

edj

nikons also require a special adapter

Edited by edwincjones, 07 December 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#5 galazie

galazie

Vostok 1

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:45 PM

I have compared side by side these two, plus the Kunming BA8:

http://www.cloudynig...ikon/?p=6265867

The Fujinon is good but get the Nikon if you have the money.

I can live with the Fujinon, but can only live happily with the Nikon.

I am a big big fan of the Fujinon 10x50, but the 16x70 is a drop in quality level.

If you consider the Fujinon, then rather get the Kunming BA8. 95% quality with just over half the money.

#6 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:20 AM

I disagree about the BA8s being 95% of the quality of the Fujinons.  That's a pretty big leap; IMO, the Fujis are superior optically and mechanically to the BA 8s and not by just a few percentage points.  

Regarding the 18x70s compared to the 16x70s, EdZ did an in-depth comparison and came up with a very different conclusion than the one you made as per the link you provided.    He's always been very thorough and objective in his comparisons.

EdZ's Nikon 18x70 measures; Oct. 2010

No binocular is perfect; some are better suited to our individual needs or tastes than others. To each their own, I suppose...

Rich

#7 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:42 AM

Hi Jerry,

Both are very fine binoculars, but they differ a little.

The Nikon fit my face better, but that is a personal thing.

Flattest sharpest edge-edge view: Fuji

Biggest "I am floating in the universe impression": Nikon

Side-side, I preferred the views in the Nikon, that's why I bought them.

The real world prices are more comparable than list prices suggest.

Both work best by far on a tripod. That cripples them a little for hand held astro touring a la Harrington. 

For hand-held astro cruising, I use my Zeiss 10x56 the most. For detail observations the Nikon 18x70, albeit on a tripod.

#8 galazie

galazie

Vostok 1

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:46 PM

I disagree about the BA8s being 95% of the quality of the Fujinons.  That's a pretty big leap; IMO, the Fujis are superior optically and mechanically to the BA 8s and not by just a few percentage points.  

Regarding the 18x70s compared to the 16x70s, EdZ did an in-depth comparison and came up with a very different conclusion than the one you made as per the link you provided.    He's always been very thorough and objective in his comparisons.

EdZ's Nikon 18x70 measures; Oct. 2010

No binocular is perfect; some are better suited to our individual needs or tastes than others. To each their own, I suppose...

Rich

That night when I compared the 3 binos I had a friend joining me.

He agreed that the Fuji and the BA8 are very comparable, but disagreed with me on the superiority of the Nikon.

To him the 3 binos are comparable.

To me the Nikon stands out.

I agree EdZ's work is very objective and factful. The 'feeling' factor is what makes you love something/someone or not, but that is a personal thing.

#9 galazie

galazie

Vostok 1

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:47 PM

Maybe that is exactly why I prefer the Nikon.

#10 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:13 PM

The only applicable comparison I can give is with my Nikon 18x70 (recent model) to my 22x85 BA8 stopped down to 70mm. So effectively a 22x70 but with a longer relative focal length. Again, both binoculars are excellent and are very satisfying to use by themselves. Side-by-side, the Nikon stands out with its overall brighter image, and very tight and intense star images. The BA8 has some very slight flaring on the very bright point objects. The Nikon has no flaring at all. And yes, a very real "picture window" effect. Indeed, an "I am floating in the universe" impression.

The Nikon just makes me feel like I am seeing to the theoretical limit that this aperture is capable of. And take off the eyecups and holders and use every bit of the huge 72° AFOV it gives you.

#11 galazie

galazie

Vostok 1

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:30 PM

Comparing many 15/16/18x70mm binoculars with my Fujinon fmt sx 10x50, one common thing I see is that the 70mm ones exhibit more of a 'hazy' image compared to the 50mm. I explain it to myself that it is because of higher magnifications.

What I see among the Fujinon 16x, the BA8 15x and the Nikon 18x is that the Fuji gives the most hazy image, then the Nikon. The BA8 is best in this regards.

I've owned both versions of the Fujinon 16x, old and new (I am still a Fujinon fan), and this is consistent in both of them.

I don't know why. But that is one of the reasons I don't have good impression of the Fujinon 16x.

BUT, that is when using in daytime/cityscape. At night and under the stars you won't see that.

#12 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:41 PM

Comparing many 15/16/18x70mm binoculars with my Fujinon fmt sx 10x50, one common thing I see is that the 70mm ones exhibit more of a 'hazy' image compared to the 50mm.

What I see among the Fujinon 16x, the BA8 15x and the Nikon 18x is that the Fuji gives the most hazy image, then the Nikon. The BA8 is best in this regards.

I've owned both versions of the Fujinon 16x, old and new (I am still a Fujinon fan), and this is consistent in both of them.

I don't know why. But that is one of the reasons I don't have good impression of the Fujinon 16x.

BUT, that is when using in daytime/cityscape. At night and under the stars you won't see that.

You might experiment with some extended dew shields & see if they help to eliminate the haziness. 

Please Click Here

Stan

#13 galazie

galazie

Vostok 1

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:46 PM

You might experiment with some extended dew shields & see if they help to eliminate the haziness. 

Please Click Here

Stan

Do you mean it's a dew problem or the shields help to prevent stray light?

#14 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:22 PM

Please Click Here

Stan

the shields help to prevent stray light? 

Correct

http://www.cloudynig...ar-dew-shields/

Stan

Edited by hallelujah, 16 December 2014 - 11:29 PM.

#15 galazie

galazie

Vostok 1

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

Thank you, Stan. I don't think I'll do this because it'll become clumsy for me, and the Nikon 18x70 currently works fine for me. But that's a good tips that could be useful for other members.

#16 Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:15 AM

Maybe that is exactly why I prefer the Nikon.

After having compared the Fuji-16x70 and the N-AL-18x70, I was ready to pay twice the price for the second one and have never regretted having done so. 

For me, it just has the greater "wow-factor" under the stars.

Which results from better eye-relief (which, since I'm not "flat-faced" is relevant for my personal observing-comfort), better "floating in space"-quality, better coatings (other than the Nikon's, the prisms of the F-16x70 look uncoated when flashlighted from the front).

But of course, many of those who have gone the cheaper way will oppose... IMO, there is a tendency not to buy what was first compared and then preferred, but rather to prefer an defend what was bought without comparing first of all...

Edited by Fomalhaut, 23 December 2014 - 05:21 AM.

#17 DDwa

DDwa

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:31 AM

Are you sure that the prisms of the fuji are uncoted?

#18 Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:33 AM

Are you sure that the prisms of the fuji are uncoted?

Yes, I am.

If their prism front surfaces were coated, then much less efficient than in the Nikon anyway (reflection in the F16x70 was a bright yellow instead of a very weak purple in the N18x70).

At least in this comparison, they certainly did not look coated at all which was also confirmed by different posters in different threads, here and abroad.

Plus the Fujinon 10x70 had a different, green, less bright or then IMO at least more efficient prism front surface coating than the 16x70.

Speculation was, that maybe the 16x70s are more critical due to higher magnification and therefore => not exposed to the stress maybe exerted by the process of coating.

All of this has already been discussed in length and therefore this will remain my only contribution to this thread. 

On the picture below, you see the efficiency of Nikon-18x70's (front lens) coating compared to the one of Zeiss 15x60 BGAT*  -  both binoculars looking directly into the sun!!!

As can be seen, also the Nikon's front prism surfaces, due to their excellent coating, are almost invisible...)

iw9s-18-17e6.jpg

Edited by Fomalhaut, 24 December 2014 - 03:43 AM.

#19 tropical

tropical

Viking 1

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:59 PM

I think I also prefer the Nikon to the Fujinon even it is 2x the price.  For some reasons I do not know why I always picked the Nikon (and I had 2 16x70 Fujinon's)  when I wanted to scan the sky.  So I sold the Fujinon's and keep only the Nikon.  The Fujinon is easier to obtain (cheaper and more available) than the Nikon, though.

#20 galazie

galazie

Vostok 1

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

I did some comparison of coatings on the Nikon 18x and the Fuji 16x FMT-SX under a desk lamp. Here are some interesting (at least to me) photos.

1st one - reflection on the objectives. Left is Nikon. Right is Fuji.

Attached Thumbnails

• SAM_5959_zps47d3eaa1.jpg

Edited by galazie, 28 December 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#21 galazie

galazie

Vostok 1

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:02 PM

Reflection on the prism in the Nikon. Purple tint.

Attached Thumbnails

• SAM_5979_zpsb4098e71.jpg

#22 galazie

galazie

Vostok 1

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:03 PM

Reflection on the prism in the Fuji. No tint no matter how I tilted the light direction.

Attached Thumbnails

• SAM_5981_zpsee6f1c2b.jpg

Edited by galazie, 28 December 2014 - 10:03 PM.

#23 galazie

galazie

Vostok 1

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:04 PM

There's some strong reflection from inside the prism complex inside the Fuji.

Attached Thumbnails

• SAM_5991_zpsedf5bd10.jpg

#24 galazie

galazie

Vostok 1

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:05 PM

The Nikon has this too. But less, and more difficult to see (I had to tilt the binos more to catch this).

Attached Thumbnails

• SAM_5994_zpsbf9c0aae.jpg

Edited by galazie, 28 December 2014 - 10:06 PM.

#25 galazie

galazie

Vostok 1

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

The 2 binos concerned.

Attached Thumbnails

• SAM_5969_zps15c67082.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics