•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thermal Modeling and Athermalization in Telescope Optical Design

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:22 PM

Telescopes are typically stored and operated over a wide range of temperatures. Changing temperatures and extreme temperature ranges affect nearly all materials used in constructing telescopes, as well as the optical properties of the air in the immediate vicinity. This article discusses the two principle effects of temperature on telescope materials: (1) changes in optical and structural material dimensions with temperature, and (2) changes in optical glass refractive index with temperature. These two temperature-dependent material properties usually combine to negatively affect optical performance in refractive and catadioptric systems if not compensated for, and system optimization must account for these properties in the design phase to minimize temperature effects on telescope performance.

Click here to view the article
  • Asbytec likes this

#2 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:39 PM

Mike,

This is a great subject and you've done a really nice job with it!

John

#3 GJJim

GJJim

Skylab

• Loc: más y menos

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:07 PM

Good article that goes beyond the simple, linear models assumed in most thermal-compensation focuser schemes. 

#4 jabil

jabil

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:48 AM

Dear Dr.Mike

Nice work done on thermal modeling.

Ismail

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics