•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay and other vintage telescope ads

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
474 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:50 AM

Time to lock the old thread and start a new one.

There are some new rules concerning this thread, so please read them all carefully before you post.  Let's try and maintain the spirit of the thread.  Please PM me or any other Classics forum mod if you have questions, we'll get back to you as soon as possible.   Thank you!

A few reminders:

1) The basic guidelines for this thread is to list ads that we find that others may be interested in. It is not attempting to replace CL or EBay as a site to find ALL possible classic ads.  Please keep to actual 'classic' equipment.  (If you have to ask if its 'classic', it probably isn't.)

2) Do not post your own ads or the ads of your friends. This is considered sale promotion in the open forums and this is a violation of the CN TOS. Please post your ads in the S&S forum or the CNC.

3) Do not post photos from ads.  If you must have some reference to the photo in the post, then post a URL link to the photo, not the photo itself.

4) Do not post the entire ad text (or large blocks of it) without permission from the author.

5) Try to concentrate on the item for sale and not the seller.

6) When posting ads, please describe the item (make/model/price or if unknown basic type info (3" refractor on a Gem), not something completely generic) as text in the post. This has been the style that this thread has used over the years. If you have any trouble interpreting this, look to the old threads for the style used.

7) Future ad posts that do not follow posting guidelines or appear to be for items that really have no business in this thread may be removed at moderator discretion.

8) Buyer beware - there are some scams floating around, so do your homework before pursuing any ad.

9) Please limit yourself to 1 'found ad' post per hour.  If you find more items, just edit your prior post and add them, or simply wait to save your post until you are done looking at the other sites.

10) Discussions can occur about the equipment in the ads.  Please keep the non found posts to the actual topic of the items in the ad post.

11) Posts may be moved to new threads if the noise level gets too high on particular ads.  If that occurs, all additional comments on the ad should be in the new thread.

12) Ads that are odd or have humor may find a better home in the Favorite Used Telescope Ad thread.

CN is in no way responsible for the content of these linked ads.

#2 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:57 AM

Lets start this off with a real bargain... NOT!

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2056016.l4276

Guess if a tray light is $500 a motor drive is a deal a t $1100.

#3 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:06 AM

I love it when I see listings like this.  There are times I hope the seller gets the price and sets a new standard for asking prices for Unitron gear.  you cannot keep the prices of this gear surpressed for ever,  One of the main problems I do see in pricing is that they get stagnent for a long time. Everyone thinks that what it sold for 10 years ago is the the price it should sell for today. That seems to hold true for any vintage telescope.  If the scope sold for $200 years back that is what it should sell for today.  When I started making a spreadsheet of sales for the last 10 years that is what I found. Prices in general stayed about at the same price.  This must be the only hobby I know of where that is the case.

#4 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:21 AM

You'd  think for $1100, they'd at least offer free shipping.  TANSTAAFL!

#5 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Soyuz

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:06 AM

I love it when I see listings like this.  There are times I hope the seller gets the price and sets a new standard for asking prices for Unitron gear.  you cannot keep the prices of this gear surpressed for ever,  One of the main problems I do see in pricing is that they get stagnent for a long time. Everyone thinks that what it sold for 10 years ago is the the price it should sell for today. That seems to hold true for any vintage telescope.  If the scope sold for $200 years back that is what it should sell for today.  When I started making a spreadsheet of sales for the last 10 years that is what I found. Prices in general stayed about at the same price.  This must be the only hobby I know of where that is the case.

i personally think it wastes people's time to post ridiculously high prices for things that no one will pay.

#6 fjs

fjs

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:01 AM

Here is a good focuser for 60mm. LINK

#7 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

Buyer beware of the C5 on the Phoenix Craigslist. I sent an email asking if he would ship and he said that he would but would only take Western Union or ****. He also gave a phone number for a place in New York.

#8 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

Buyer beware of the C5 on the Phoenix Craigslist. I sent an email asking if he would ship and he said that he would but would only take Western Union or ****. He also gave a phone number for a place in New York.

I would report that as a scam.

#9 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:18 AM

That's nuts! One can get a more dependable, completely comparible "custom" Unitron drive that is battery operated and comes with a hand controller for a fourth the cost at the Astronomy Shoppe. 

http://www.cloudynig...unitron-drives/

You can also buy very nice red flashlights! :lol:

Edited by terraclarke, 15 December 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#10 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:58 AM

I would report that as a scam.

Scam Indeed.

I made the same inquiry and he asked for Western Union and to send the money to an address in Kentucky:

Receivers Name : JAMES NEAL ,
Address                 : 7200 Houston RD Apt # E08,
City /States           : Florence, KY , 41042

When pressed for shipping details he said $5 total for shipping ... that's $60 in total shipping included.

#11 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

Prices do plateau. The market is not that large. You can get a Clark or similar near the price of a larger Unitron. Don't expect the prices to go up very much on the Unitrons. Personally I think the "run" on Unitrons is nearly complete and the prices will remain stable or drop a little in the next few years. I could be wrong, but the prices skyrocketed in a few years to near old Zeiss and top end antique levels.(Not quite for the 60mm units). They made a lot of 60mm scopes and there still seems ample supply. There are rarer and perhaps more desirable Japanese scopes at that price point.

#12 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:59 PM

i personally think it wastes people's time to post ridiculously high prices for things that no one will pay.

That is a good point.  And I agree that some of the prices I have seen for vintage gear is rather ridiculous.  

#13 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that, apart from the smaller 60mm scopes, larger instruments consume a good deal of space. Shifting demographics would seem to indicate that younger folk are not all that interested in the classic house-with-a-yard that preceding generations desired, and storing a large refractor or reflector in a modest apartment can be problematic.

Until our larger classics become certifiable antiques (and even then), prices may indeed stagnate, or even drop. Remember, the flip side of inflation in necessary goods (food, etc.) is matched by deflation in the price of most luxuries, and telescopes are definitely luxuries.

#14 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

Telescopes are not a luxury item.  They are a necessity in most of our lives.  I cannot imagine living without one.

Edited by starman876, 15 December 2014 - 04:26 PM.

#15 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:44 PM

Telescopes are not a luxury item.  They are a necessity in most of our lives.  I cannot imagine living without one.

I seriously doubt anyone here has one scope. Sort of like Lays potato chips, "no one can ... just one". :lol:

More like ... sixty?

#16 chrisastro8

chrisastro8

Mariner 2

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

Early Unitron 140 (75mm) here on CN and here in Houston (tempting) but in rather scary condition for me to take on as a project. 

http://www.cloudynig...el-140-w-boxes/

#17 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

Telescopes are not a luxury item.

Just for lulz, tell that to the next person you see swiping an EBT card at the supermarket, or better yet entering a food bank, and report back to us.  :)

Nice RV-6 in Phoenix on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19f8b22e9f

Edited by amicus sidera, 15 December 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#18 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:27 PM

Early Unitron 140 (75mm) here on CN and here in Houston (tempting) but in rather scary condition for me to take on as a project. 

Oh man, why did you have to go and tell me that?  Argh!

I saw that earlier and even though it's beat, it's definitely restoreable.

#19 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Apollo

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:03 AM

Houston isn't too far for shipping. Oh man. Here we go again.

#20 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:42 AM

This 75mm needs to be completely restored.

The condition of the objective is uncertain and it is missing the finder objective.

But for $275 ...

I an sure someone here will pick it up !!

#21 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:09 AM

The condition of the objective is uncertain and it is missing the finder objective.

But for $275 ...

It really is not worth restoring for $275.  You will put far more into it then it is worth.

#22 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:15 AM

You're probably right ...

Sure would hate to see it left in that condition though.

#23 Dartguy

Dartguy

Apollo

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

https://louisville.c...4763959491.html

This has to be worth $35, right?

ps. Hello!

#24 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:38 AM

But for $275 ...

It really is not worth restoring for $275.  You will put far more into it then it is worth.

I imagine that would depend upon the abilities and resources (physical, not monetary) of the restorer.

Also, nothing says it will actually sell for that price.  If I didn't have the BC, I'd be VERY tempted here.

#25 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:47 AM

https://louisville.c...4763959491.html

This has to be worth $35, right?

ps. Hello!

Offer the seller $30.

Hello, welcome!  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics