•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Ultima 80

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gianluca67

Gianluca67

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

I had the opportunity to observe the sky with this spotting scope during my holidays last Summer. My Father in law happened to own the Celestron Ultima 80 for nature watching and shooting sport and had left the scope at his holiday house near the seaside where I spent my holidays with my family. The sky there is pretty good so you can see 5.0-5.5 magnitude stars with the unaided eye at the zenith.

Click here to view the article

#2 Bill Steen

Bill Steen

Viking 1

• Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:13 PM

I have not been exposed to spotting scopes at all, so your review is very interesting to me.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.  Looks like that could be a good scope for general purpose daytime viewing.

Bill Steen

#3 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the review.  A terrestrial spotting scope, perhaps of a somewhat better quality, may be a viable choice for the casual observer.  Not ideal, but certainly useable. 

#4 Gianluca67

Gianluca67

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:48 AM

Yes, I agree.  Sometimes even less than ideal scopes can be effectively used by the casual astronomical observer.  Perhaps a good quality spotting scope, perhaps with Ed lens and with more comfortable viewing angle, can deliver beautiful views of the night sky in addition to daytime observing.

#5 Waxing Gibbous

Waxing Gibbous

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Victoria, Australia

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

I've had one of these for about two years and couldn't be happier.
I got it for trundling around in the bush so dust and moisture were a big factor.

I haven't experienced any of the optical or build quality problems you seem to

have regrettably experienced.  Could be just a QA problem on your model but sorry to here about the duff bits anyway.

#6 ileddysd

ileddysd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:22 AM

Sounds like you had some fun anyway, that's the main thing.

It's nice to know a few facts about this scope.

#7 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:51 AM

There was a 100mm ED Celestron Regal in local clasifieds, that dropped to 350 euros, but I didn't buy it. It should be better as an ED. I like terrestrial but I thought that a dual purpose telescope, like my WO 66ED (with 90 degrees and 45 degrees diagonal) is a better buy and more versatile. But for birding and outdoor activities these spotting scopes are more rugged and appropiate.

Nice review.

#8 penguinx64

penguinx64

Soyuz

• Loc: Manama, Bahrain

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:53 AM

Thanks for this review.  I considered buying this scope for convenience.  I tried a couple of other spotting scopes, but had problems.  First, the zoom eyepieces have a narrower field of view than a stand alone eyepiece.  Second, most of them don't stay focused when you zoom.  Third, mine didn't have a 45 degree angle.  A straight through spotting scope is difficult to use for astronomy without an angled eyepiece.  45 degrees is an improvement, but it would be better with a 90 degree diagonal that can use interchangeble eyepieces. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics