•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DIY ET-8 GOTO Mount

astrophotography eq mount
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
285 replies to this topic

#276 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

I am using the Dev branch because I am developing a fork mount but you may want to use the stable branch.

#277 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:38 AM

Steve

I got it working, who does the android app?  I have some comments/suggestions

#1) Add a Connect button and don't try to open up the blue tooth connection until its pushed.

#2) If you don't specify exactly 3 digits in the Longitude, you get a failed to upload, i.e. -074 works but -74 fails

#3) It sure hangs alot if there is any issue with the bluetooth

Edited by mark77, 04 August 2015 - 09:42 AM.

#278 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:44 AM

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear you got it working. How do you like the shield form factor?  What mount are you planning on converting? Howard Sutton did the android app. He follows this forum so your comments should reach him.

Steve

#279 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:51 AM

I think the Arduino Shield is great, the only thing I would have done different is to make sure another board could be placed on top of it.

I have an Astroscopics 16 inch Newtonian and a Cave/Astrola 10 inch Newtonian, both with Byers Gears. I have to convert the worm drives to stepper motor.

I am right now working on the permits to expand my garage and build a 15 foot dome,

BTW: I do alot of Arduino development, I will probably add a graphics display support to the the code and graphically show what is going on and what the current settings are.

Mark

#280 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:03 AM

I understand you complaint, I am not sure I want another board on top, just to keep the pcb fills from shielding the Bluetooth any more that it is now, plus its difficult to keep the dimension of a shield board with all the IO coming off the OnStep..2 motor assemblies, PEC sensor and limit switch assembly.  Did you see my LX50 conversion project page https://sites.google...ojects/lx50goto

#281 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

No I hadnt seen that, very nice,

do you have the heat sinks, I imagine they are a good addition.

I very likely will do the graphics via a serial port to another arduino and just output serial commands. This will allow it to be remote located and avoid pin conflicts. (hopefully you did not use the other serial port pins)

Mark

#282 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:00 AM

You can check out the schematic on my site (https://sites.google...tep-electronics) for the latest OnStep hardware pin usage, The Bluetooth module uses RX1/TX1 but the remainder of the pins are unconnected and pass thru. I made the heat sink for myself but started offering on cloudy nights as an option for the board, if you want one I can send you a "kit" with the mounting screws and some heat conductive paste.

#283 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:07 AM

Anybody interested in an ST4 partial shield board for their OnStep Hardware?  I call it a partial board because it is mounted with two spacers on the right side, it is inserted into the 2 x 18 header and hangs off the header to the right. Also, I guess, this board could be used directly with the 2560 as well,(if you didnt have the Onstep board).

I put together a schematic and a pcb. I added a slight twist to the schematic by adding a set of LEDs that would strobe as the correction signals changed, just thought it would be cool to see the signals, they may change so quickly as to be meaningless so there is a jumper to disable the LEDs if they become annoying..

Attached Thumbnails

• st4schematic.PNG
  • st4brd.PNG

#284 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:22 AM

YES, I will take 2, I was thinking it would be nice to have LEDS to know what its doing.

Mark

#285 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:21 PM

So I have put together a design of a ST4 Interface for the OnStep software and have been working with several other members of the yahoo forum to define some features for the board.

The ST4 board can be stacked on top of a Arduino board (2560)  and used with your existing DIY prototype or it can  stack on top of the Rev C OnStep board.

The design is ready, a complete description of the board can be found on my projects page here (https://sites.google...interface-board).

I will  be posting the project to hackaday with gerbers, bom and schematic so you could build one yourself.  We are currently planning to build a number of units with the bulk of those units going to members who have already spoken up for a board. If you  want one built for you, let me know off forum asap. The cost of a built board is $20.

#286 hjd1964

hjd1964

Ranger 4

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:15 AM

Steve

I got it working, who does the android app?  I have some comments/suggestions

#1) Add a Connect button and don't try to open up the blue tooth connection until its pushed.

#2) If you don't specify exactly 3 digits in the Longitude, you get a failed to upload, i.e. -074 works but -74 fails

#3) It sure hangs alot if there is any issue with the bluetooth

Hi Mark,

If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you join the OnStepTelescope Yahoo Group.  I have a link to the beta version of my Android App there and I post regularly about bugs fixed and improvements to OnStep also.

Howard

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics