•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Alignment stars database

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Don257

Don257

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:27 PM

Just bought a new 8SE (yah!) and took it out for a backyard first drive.

I did the two star alignment and went looking for some first mag biggys.  Many weren't in the DB?!?!  Castor, Rigel and others?

I dug up a list at http://www.celestron...barticleid=2415 and scratched head.

Am I missing something here?

don

#2 Dwight J

Dwight J

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

Perhaps Don.  Your question is a better fit in the mounts forum.  Perhaps a moderator could move it there for you.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:32 AM

Better yet the NexStar forum.

Just a quick comment ...

Those bright stars certainly are in the DB ... List - Named stars - scroll up/down.

But ... they may not always be listed in the DB if the scope believe that they are not visible in your sky. The most common reason for this is that your location information is incorrect. In addition to the obvious time/date/location you must also set the time zone and DST correctly. Another reason that they could be filtered out (Filter Limits). 

If you think you've got all the data entered correctly and the scope is still not displaying what is obviously up in your sky then consider doing a Factory Settings reset of the hand controller and re enter all the data again, sometimes you can have bad data stuck in a few locations which can create situations like you've described.

You can test everything indoors by doing a simple one star or solar system alignment (by just roughly guessing where the object is) and then see what the hand controller displays ... but remember many popular stars and objects may not have risen early in the day so they won't be displayed. 

Edited by mclewis1, 18 December 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#4 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:41 AM

This is the main reason I bought the GPS then the starsense accessories. That said, putting the information in manually is certainly possible, I just didn't want to take the time to do it, and wanted alignment to complete while I did other setup tasks.

Edited by Relativist, 20 December 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#5 Davemartin888

Davemartin888

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:33 AM

Is there a toggle between the Western versus Eastern stars that are being shown during the alignment process. Maybe the stars you were looking for weren't displayed as a choice because of which set of stars you were using? Ignore if this is way off base but I know I had a similar issue when first using my Celestron mount!

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:42 AM

It's a good point that many beginners overlook but East/West filtering applies to EQ oriented mounts ... not the alt az (SE) setups. The SE hand controller should be offering appropriate bright stars all over the sky for alignment purposes ... and certainly when you ask it to list the named stars visible. If it's not 99% of the time it's a time/date/location/DST/time zone issue.

Edited by mclewis1, 20 December 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#7 Davemartin888

Davemartin888

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:28 AM

Thanks Mark, good point on the Alt/Az versus EQ mount- guess I was way off base! :lol:  Thanks to the help you provide here on Cloudy Nights.

#8 Don257

Don257

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:38 PM

Thanks all,

Didn't know about the editing of non-viewable stars and position sensitivity.  Nice info.

Guess it's time to learn a few new stars and give up on some old favorites and learn Celestrons 82 stars.

No big deal.  Sorta.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics