•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New ! Lunt Engineering Magnesium Series Binoculars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes, Lunt Solar Systems, Lunt Engineering)

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

GrandCanyonWithLEBinocularPDistasio-580x

By George, I think we’ve got it!  Lunt Engineering is proud to offer four binocular models in the Magnesium Series line, starting with a classic 7 x 50 and finishing up with a high-power 16 x 70 model, for long range views of land and sky.

All of the Lunt Engineering Magnesium Series Binoculars offer superb, fully multi-coated optics, an armor-coated magnesium body for lightweight yet rugged performance, and generous eye relief. They are waterproof and fogproof, with a rating of IPX-7, which means LE Magnesium binoculars are tested to withstand water damage for up to 30 minutes in three feet of water. Magnesium binoculars come with a carry case and a tripod adapter, allowing you to quickly and easily attach your Magnesium binoculars to any standard camera tripod for hands-free viewing.

Lunt Engineering 7 X 50 Magnesium Series Binoculars

LE7x50Binos-580x338.jpg

If you are looking for a pair of binoculars for most any situation, look no further than the 7 X 50 model from the Lunt Engineering Magnesium Series. With front objectives of 50 mm and a magnification of 7, a 7.1 mm beam of light will reach your eye, which just happens to match the maximum size that our pupils can dilate. This is not an accident! More light means more detail, especially in low light conditions, and we’re not just talking about the obvious “low-light conditions” experienced during evening hours, but the less obvious but very common problem of viewing an object in shade or shadow. Let’s look at the many features you’ll enjoy if you pick up a pair of LE 7 X 50 Binoculars:

Amazing Optics: The heart of a pair of binoculars is the optics. It doesn’t matter how beautiful they are, or how much they cost if the optics don’t give you a clear, sharp, true color image of the world around you. Lunt Engineering Magnesium binoculars, regardless of their magnification or aperture, use quality glass and BaK-4 prisms to yield high contrast, tack-sharp images over their entire field of view. Special coatings on all optical surfaces enhance the final result producing true-to-life color.

IPX-7 Water Protection: The International Electrotechnical Commission, or IEC, classifies and rates the degree of protection provided against the intrusion of water into a system that would suffer from damage were that to happen. The LE 7×50 Binoculars have an IPX-7 rating, which means they are capable of withstanding water entry for up to 30 minutes in 1 meter of water. We realize this sort of mishap will most likely not happen, but this superior protection will keep your binoculars safe if they get rained on or splashed. Nitrogen-purging also renders these binoculars fogproof. Their objective lenses will not fog up internally in super high humidity, and you will not be the victim of creepy, crawly fungus invasion, a fate all too often suffered by optics that live in coastal areas.

Rugged, Lightweight Body:  Lunt Engineering binoculars have a body made from Magnesium, the lightest of the metal elements. Magnesium is also noted for its strength and resistance against corrosion. The binocular body is over-coated with a rubber armor, which further protects the binoculars and offers a slip-resistant grip without adding much weight. Focus is achieved by adjusting each eyepiece individually so that you can match your unique vision precisely. A tripod adapter port is located on the bridge and is covered by a metal beauty cap. To access the port, simply unscrew the cap and attach the included tripod adapter.

Good Eye Relief: The Lunt Engineering 7 X 50 Magnesium Series Binoculars have very comfortable eye relief of 23 mm. The term “eye relief” has to do with where your eye has to be placed to see the full image being produced. The lower the eye relief, the closer your eyes will need to be when positioned against the eyepiece. If you happen to wear eyeglasses and wish to observe with them on, eye relief becomes very important. Since Lunt Engineering Magnesium binoculars have great eye relief, all you have to do if you want to wear glasses is to fold down the rubber eyecups. For non-eyeglasses wearers, keep the eyecups unfolded.

Nice Accessories: All Lunt Magnesium Binoculars come with a tripod adapter, a Cordura-type soft carry case, a binocular strap, lens caps, and eyepiece caps.

Optical Characteristics
        Model: 7X50

Magnification: 7 Power

Objective Diameter: 50 mm

Exit Pupil Diameter: 7.14 mm

Field of View - Angular: 7.5°

Field of View at 1000m: 131m

Eye Relief: 23 mm

Minimum Focus Distance: 16.4 ft. (5m)

Lens Coating: Fully Multi-Coated (FMC)

Prism Coating: FMC

Prism Type: Porro Prism

Prism Glass Material: BaK4

Mechanical Characteristics
        Minimum Interpupillary Distance: 56 mm

Maximum Interpupillary Distance: 74 mm
    Environmental Characteristics

Water Protection: Waterproof, IPX-7 Rating

Dimensional Characteristics

Weight: 2.86 lb. (1300g)

Special Features
        Carrying Strap: Yes

Covers & Caps: Yes

Metal Tripod Adapter: Yes

Foldable Eyecups: Yes

Nitrogen Filled: Yes

Carry Case: Yes

Our Price : US $ 285.00 only....>>>> Delivery from Stock, Lunt E. Tucson, Arizona

Lunt Engineering 11 X 70 Magnesium Series Binoculars

LE11x70Binos-580x388.jpg

A good pair of 11 x 70 binoculars can be an amateur astronomer’s best friend. Step outside on your porch and scan the skies for the latest comet, or grab a lawn chair and peruse the Milky Way to discover wispy galaxies and clusters of stars that shine like jeweled boxes in the night. However, don’t put your LE 11 X 70 Magnesium binoculars away once the Sun comes out! These big binoculars, with their over-sized 70 mm optics, are a joy to use for nature observations. Unlike many telescopes, the 11 x 70’s are portable and easy to take along on a trip, with or without a tripod. Let’s look at the many features you’ll enjoy if you pick up a pair of LE 11 X 70 Binoculars:

Amazing Optics: The heart of a pair of binoculars is the optics. It doesn’t matter how beautiful they are, or how much they cost if the optics don’t give you a clear, sharp, true color image of the world around you. Lunt Engineering Magnesium binoculars, regardless of their magnification or aperture, use quality glass and BaK-4 prisms to yield high contrast, tack-sharp images over their entire field of view. Special coatings on all optical surfaces enhance the final result producing true-to-life color.

IPX-7 Water Protection: The International Electrotechnical Commission, or IEC, classifies and rates the degree of protection provided against the intrusion of water into a system that would suffer from damage were that to happen. The LE 11×70 Binoculars have an IPX-7 rating, which means they are capable of withstanding water entry for up to 30 minutes in 1 meter of water. We realize this sort of mishap will most likely not happen, but this superior protection will keep your binoculars safe if they get rained on or splashed. Nitrogen-purging also renders these binoculars fogproof. Their objective lenses will not fog up internally in super high humidity, and you will not be the victim of creepy, crawly fungus invasion, a fate all too often suffered by optics that live in coastal areas.

Rugged, Lightweight Body:  Lunt Engineering binoculars have a body made from Magnesium, the lightest of the metal elements. Magnesium is also noted for its strength and resistance against corrosion. The binocular body is over-coated with a rubber armor, which further protects the binoculars and offers a slip-resistant grip without adding much weight. Focus is achieved by adjusting each eyepiece individually so that you can match your unique vision precisely. A tripod adapter port is located on the bridge and is covered by a metal beauty cap. To access the port, simply unscrew the cap and attach the included tripod adapter.

Good Eye Relief: The Lunt Engineering 11 X 70 Magnesium Series Binoculars have very comfortable eye relief of 23 mm. The term “eye relief” has to do with where your eye has to be placed to see the full image being produced. The lower the eye relief, the closer your eyes will need to be when positioned against the eyepiece. If you happen to wear eyeglasses and wish to observe with them on, eye relief becomes very important. Since Lunt Engineering Magnesium binoculars have great eye relief, all you have to do if you want to wear glasses is to fold down the rubber eyecups. For non-eyeglasses wearers, keep the eyecups unfolded.

Nice Accessories: All Lunt Magnesium Binoculars come with a tripod adapter, a Cordura-type soft carry case, a binocular strap, lens caps, and eyepiece caps.

Optical Characteristics
        Model: 11X70

Magnification: 11 Power

Objective Diameter: 70 mm

Exit Pupil Diameter: 6.4 mm

Field of View - Angular: 4.8°

Field of View at 1000m: 84m

Eye Relief: 23 mm

Minimum Focus Distance: 32.8 ft. (10m)

Lens Coating: Fully Multi-Coated (FMC)

Prism Coating: FMC

Prism Type: Porro Prism

Prism Glass Material: BaK4

Mechanical Characteristics
        Minimum Interpupillary Distance: 56 mm

Maximum Interpupillary Distance: 74 mm
    Environmental Characteristics

Water Protection: Waterproof, IPX-7 Rating

Dimensional Characteristics

Weight: 4.35 lb. (1974g)

Special Features
        Carrying Strap: Yes

Covers & Caps: Yes

Metal Tripod Adapter: Yes

Foldable Eyecups: Yes

Nitrogen Filled: Yes

Carry Case: Yes

Our Price : US $ 469.00 only....>>>> Delivery from Stock, Lunt E. Tucson, Arizona

#2 ryderc1

ryderc1

Viking 1

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:31 AM

Markus-

The 7x50's spec's and appearance are remarkably similar to the Fuji FMT-SX's at about half the price. Do the Lunt 7x50's also have a field flattener as well? Thanks.

#3 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:40 AM

the Lunt MS Binocular  have all  field flattener build in yes !

#4 ryderc1

ryderc1

Viking 1

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:54 AM

Wow! Great news. I'll have to buy a pair.

#5 trener

trener

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:04 AM

Field flattener sounds good. Let's hope it will work just as well  :)

#6 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:20 AM

it does work as well !

#7 johnpd

johnpd

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:12 AM

Markus,

What about the 16x70? Info, price, and availability?

JohnD

#8 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:59 AM

please check out the Lunt Webside, it is shown there

http://luntengineeri...ies-binoculars/

we get first small run at Lunt E. in house very soon

and

the new models:

12x50 MS and 20x70 MS coming in now also for testing by us

#9 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:00 AM

I follow the discussions, if anybody has a question, let me know, I have them by hand, I have them checked and I have all design infos.

1, the MS Series does not use ED Glas and it is not needet to have ED Glas. Every model include the 20 x 70 show no CA at all.

2, the 10 x 50 and 16 x 70 have been redesigned from a famous US designer after we found the  first sample showed CA..now after redesign it does not show anymore CA

3, the 12 x 50 sample was the only one I got , which have had not a edge correction I liked to be good enough, so this model is right now re designed and going into production

4, there is a plan for making them also as 80 mm and 100 mm with diffrent magnification's

I have a PDF file with all technical datas, but PDF cannot be uploadet here to my knowledge

so feel free to ask any question, I am allowed to answere

Markus Ludes

co. Owner of Lunt Solar and Lunt Engineering

#10 JCB

JCB

Ranger 4

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Thank you Markus for all the details.

Do you mean that even the 80 mm and 100 mm will have no ED glass?

What I found interesting in your technical data, is that the 10x50, 12x50, 16x70, 20x70, and the 80 and 100mm models have complex eyepieces with 8 elements in 5 groups.

For me, the perfect binocular would have a 4mm exit pupil, about 65° apparent field of view, and excellent sharpness almost to the edge, with no severe illumination fall-off.
Almost all binoculars fail to provide a wide field of view with good edge sharpness, and I don't understand why manufacturers always use simple eyepieces.
Canon is one exception. In their 10x42 IS binocular, they use a complex eyepiece which has 7 elements in 5 groups, and the image is sharp to the edge, so they demonstrate it is perfectly possible.
Another exception is probably the Swarovski EL Swarovision series (6 elements in 4 groups after the prisms). But they have too much angular magnification distortion to be pleasant when panning. And all of these binoculars have small dimensions because they are designed for handheld use.

I thought the New Lunt/APM 100mm ED would satisfy my needs, by allowing the use of the excellent 24 Pans, but the 21.5 mm field stop is still too narrow for them.

So I hope that these new Lunt series will be the binoculars I am looking for. There is no reason to accept a soft image at the edge with an 8 elements eyepiece!

Edited by JCB, 28 January 2015 - 06:36 PM.

#11 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:08 AM

the 100 mm ED has 23mm field stop in our today serial production, just for your info

the MS Binoculare's ARE sharp to the edge !!

the 80 mm and 100 mm MS Binoculars do not have and do not need ED Glas. Who produce such standart straight Binoculars with ED Glas ? I never heard of any

#12 mmx_4

mmx_4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:38 PM

Markus, can you show light transmission graph of MS x50 abs x70 ?

(Fujinon's has excellent transmission... )

#13 mmx_4

mmx_4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

Front element of barrel  (with red ring) - rubber or metal ?

What's size of ocular lens ?

overall length  of 11x70 and 10x50 (in specs I see only weight) ?

Edited by mmx_4, 30 January 2015 - 08:47 PM.

#14 mmx_4

mmx_4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:01 PM

"What I found interesting in your technical data, is that the 10x50, 12x50, 16x70, 20x70, and the 80 and 100mm models have complex eyepieces with 8 elements in 5 groups."

and for 7x50 / 11x70 ?

#15 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:31 AM

MMX4:

- light transmission would need to be measured, do you have a measured curve of a Fuji ? we can make a measurement but the results can be compared only to another measurement not to a paper value, riht ? The specs state over 90%

- front element barrle : Metal

- size of lens  I can check on monday in the office

- eyepiece in 7 x 50 : 5 elements in 4 groups ( 50 degree )

- eyepiece in 11 x 70 : 5 elements in 4 groups ( 50 degree )

- length of 7 x 50 : 197 mm

- length of 11 x 70  : 305 mm

#16 trener

trener

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

Markus, can you send me PDF file with technical datas via Private Message ?

Edited by trener, 31 January 2015 - 02:39 PM.

#17 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:47 AM

no, I can send PDF only to real e-mail adresse , acccept you tell me how to upload a PDF at CN

#18 JCB

JCB

Ranger 4

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:42 PM

I've changed the documents into images, for those who are interested. I hope that causes no problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• MS series.jpg
  • MS series giant.jpg

Edited by JCB, 02 February 2015 - 04:00 AM.

#19 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:40 AM

thank you

#20 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:44 PM

Hi Everybody

We at Lunt Engineering are very busy in creating and delopment of new quality product’s. We do not want to be another supplier of standart products most vendors/dealers offering.
We at Lunt Engineering like Quality , as you know from our division Lunt Solar.

We are not set up as a retail store or large Internet Sales platform, we are OEM , we like designing and manufacturing , that’s the field where we are experts.

Bringing the amateur astronomer product’s to you, the customer’s , we like to do this with the help of retail expert’s.

We have agreed with a well known and well respected large Retail store

to be from now on our Exclusiv Representative for our follow Amateur-product’s for USA and Canada

- Lunt Engineering MS Binocular’s
- Lunt ED Apochromatic Refractors
- Lunt ED Apo Binocular’s

Please contact Farah Payan and/or Daniel Mounsey at WLH ( Woodland Hills ) for your order and technical questions

#21 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:17 AM

Here a picture of the Lunt MS 10 x 50 Binocular

LE10x50Binos.jpg

#22 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:18 AM

on Lunt MS 16 x 70

LE16x70Binos.jpg

#23 Goldwing

Goldwing

Messenger

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

Be the first to review this product...........

Everywhere I look I see zero reviews of the Lunt binoculars, looking for a review of the 10x50  and after a year on the market not one review of them, why is that?

#24 johnpd

johnpd

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:44 AM

There are a few reviews/comments of the 16x70 binoculars in the Binoculars forum.

JohnD

#25 Goldwing

Goldwing

Messenger

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:46 AM

There are a few reviews/comments of the 16x70 binoculars in the Binoculars forum.

JohnD

Strangely not a review of the 10X50, heard there not a Nikon Astroluxe but a great value for the money

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics