•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sir Robert Ball - the Victorian Patrick Moore

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:26 AM

Sir Robert Ball

#2 JimP

JimP

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:40 PM

What an excellent article! I have a number of books by Sir Robert Ball and am a Great admirer of Sir Patrick Moore. As a 15 year old, with my first telescope, in 1965 I, at first, did not know where to turn for help. I was soon at my local libraray and there, an author by the name of Patrick Moore, guided me through my early years sealing my interest in Amateur Astronmy in general and Planetary and, especially, Lunar Observations in particular. I owe Sir Patrick Moore a great debt and I am sure many in the 19th and early 20th centuries owed the same to Sir Robert Ball. Congratulations on a wonderful article!

Jim Phillips

#3 Gandalf

Gandalf

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:34 AM

Jim,

Thanks for the kind comments. I always wondered what was in the US astronomers book collection, and it's nice to know that Patrick's work is so popular over there. Sir Robert Ball's books are of course great and affordable collectors items, I am glad to hear that you enjoy his work as well!

Season's Greetings,

Stuart

#4 microbes

microbes

Apollo

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:44 PM

I always wondered what was in the US astronomers book collection, and it's nice to know that Patrick's work is so popular over there

The Oxford Astronomy Encyclopedia (Sir Patrick Moore, General Editor) is in my book collection, and is probably the best book of the bunch for the amount of all around information it contains.

#5 bugugly

bugugly

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:47 PM

Mayby he's reincarnated in me! I don't know why my great intrest in astronomy since childhood, but I do know that I am related. Dwight L. Ball

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:45 PM

I'm glad this got bumped up to the top, since I missed this article the first time around. I have read 2 of Ball's book and enjoyed them greatly. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics