•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
6320 replies to this topic

#3051 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:39 AM

PS! It's good on a sticking handsaw blade as well.

You are one H.E.L.L of a gal....

• Terra Nova likes this

#3052 akman1955

akman1955

Skylab

• Loc: Alaska

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

smile.gif I worked on my little 2nd 60mm Edmond voyager 2001 focuser as it was messed up from who I bought it from. The focuser tube and gear shaft was trashed and stripped out. So I took everything off optical tube as to not damage lens, finder but the threaded on focuser housing which was heavy cast aluminum was a bear to get off as threads were seized. 2 hours later I got it off and was glad to see it was standard 2 1/2" tube. I ordered another focuser and will mount it on the Edmond as soon as it gets in. I just had to salvage this cool scopesmile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_7230.JPG

• JakeJ, Bomber Bob, wrvond and 1 other like this

#3053 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:45 PM

AMAZING! I never ever thought this thread coming to life like this!  I am so happy to have had the thought because I have gotten quite a few questions answered by members here..What a talented group of folks here!    OLD SKOOL!

• DreamWeaver, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#3054 wrvond

wrvond

Gemini

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:00 PM

I'm restoring another Mayflower/Manon mount at work, during lunch and break times.  Just put the first coat of stain on the sanded leg parts.  I'm going for the same finish I did on my Swift 838 reproduction tripod.  One application of American Walnut, followed by three applications of Minwax Golden Oak. 

Here are the legs, waiting for the walnut stain to dry.

attachicon.gifMount 001.jpg

The leg bracket hardware.  I have sanded them down to clean metal and sprayed on the primer.  Wrinkle finish to follow after the primer cures for a day.

attachicon.gifMount 002.jpg

Is the rest of this in a complete thread somewhere?

#3055 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

Today I've laid out the plans for a proper telescope for this Edmund 6"f/5 mirror.

As much as I love my Astrostick the mirror is far to excellent to be exposed to what ever

might fall from the sky or happen along, bird and bat poop, spider poop, mouse peepee, acid

dew from wood and fossil fuel burning heating equipment and vehicles, dust, pollen, stray rocks

from lawn mowers and leaf blowers, sticky fingers, etc.

I just now ordered a piece of 7 inch aluminum tube from Hastings. 

I really wanted to stay all Edmund on this project but nurse Mendy wants to go classic Novak and

a 2 inch focuser, and she's the little boss!

post-50896-0-70992100-1452734779_thumb.jpg

post-50896-0-42035000-1452734883_thumb.jpg

IMG_8134.jpg

Edited by actionhac, 13 November 2017 - 01:17 PM.

• tim53, Deven Matlick, rolo and 4 others like this

#3056 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

Hasting's has 7" tubes?  I thought they only had even numbered tubes, like 6,8 10, etc.

Edited by Garyth64, 13 November 2017 - 01:59 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#3057 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

Hasting's has 7" tubes?  I thought they only had even numbered tubes, like 6,8 10, etc.

Yes they do, one of the few places that does:

https://www.hastings...laneous-tubing/

I've ordered it from them before and it just like the tube Edmund used for the 6 inch

reflectors, .060" wall thickness 7" OD and about 6.875" ID.

Most of the tube they sell is for agricultural where scratches etc. don't matter so I

phone in my order and ask if they can pick me a nice piece.

Something else you can do is nest the tubes to save on shipping, if you are ordering

multiple sizes.

Robert  

• Bomber Bob, Garyth64, Joe1950 and 1 other like this

#3058 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:01 PM

Yes they do, one of the few places that does:

https://www.hastings...laneous-tubing/

I've ordered it from them before and it just like the tube Edmund used for the 6 inch

reflectors, .060" wall thickness 7" OD and about 6.875" ID.

Most of the tube they sell is for agricultural where scratches etc. don't matter so I

phone in my order and ask if they can pick me a nice piece.

Something else you can do is nest the tubes to save on shipping, if you are ordering

multiple sizes.

Robert  

Maybe I just over looked it.  I've ordered 4 tubes from them over the last few years,  6, 8, 10, and a 12. 

Yep, I had the 8" x 5' shipped inside the 12" x 6'.

Guess I was only looking at even sizes.  lol.gif

• clamchip likes this

#3059 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:36 PM

You can also get 7” diameter rolled, seamed, steel stove pipe in 2’, 4’, 6’, and 8’ lengths. 

• rolo, member010719 and Joe1950 like this

#3060 Esso2112

Esso2112

Apollo

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:10 PM

Today, I unpacked the first part of my new acquisition.  4 boxes unpacked, 1 more coming. After unpacking, put the "new" mount together.  It's now waiting patiently for the optical tube to arrive, which will supposedly be on Saturday according to Fedex.  Never having seen a Unitron EQ mount for a 4" scope in person, I have to say it is a true work of art. And the tray light is just the coolest thing. This setup is a giant leap in scale from the 3" refractors and mounts.  Unitron's are really in a whole different league mechanically.  

• rolo, gelkin and Terra Nova like this

#3061 Mordakyblu

Mordakyblu

Mariner 2

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

I put my Vixen/Celestron SPC 102 on a Vixen Porta II mount on the tall + tripod. It's going to be my grab n go scope. 2017-11-17 21.29.53.jpg

• Deven Matlick, akman1955, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#3062 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:15 PM

Not today, but last weekend. I recently became aware of the daytime polar alignment method using a star map app, and I set up, maybe just roughly, my Unitron 152 mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0581b.jpg

• Deven Matlick, rolo, DreamWeaver and 7 others like this

#3063 Mordakyblu

Mordakyblu

Mariner 2

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

I bought a Vixen Porta II for my SPC 102 . Here it is in grab n go mode.  I can carry it out as pictured. Then I bring out the asscesory trey and the eyepieces. It's two steps but better than manhandling the Super Polaris mount.

2017-11-18 20.19.47.jpg

• Deven Matlick, rolo, akman1955 and 5 others like this

#3064 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

Eikow (?) / Goto OTA

The Unanswerable Question:  Just how crazy is Old Bomber Bob??

I did a refresh of the excellent 60mm F20 lens that Scott posted about here --> https://www.cloudyni...-clebay-thread/

To limit the potential for shipping damage, I had him send me just the lens in its cell.  The before & after DPAC showed so much improvement, I wanted to sky test the lens, so...

Eikow 60F20 Lens Goto OTA Test P01.jpg  Eikow 60F20 Lens Goto OTA Test P03.jpg

As it turned out, the outer cell fits snug inside the Goto's cell.  I used tape to get all the screws lined up, then made brackets from IT cable clamps.  The clamps bolt the outer lens cell to the Goto, and I can still use the push/pull screws to collimate the OTA.

Last night's FAST cold front means I'll be able to star test tonight, then get the lens back to its owner -- hopefully before Thanksgiving.

Believe it or not, but I got this... contraption... collimated; and, it passed my MTAST (Microwave Tower Artificial Star Test) [I know Terra really likes my acronyms!] -- without & with the Goto prism diagonal. 

Edited by Bomber Bob, 19 November 2017 - 05:41 PM.

• rolo, clamchip, DreamWeaver and 6 others like this

#3065 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:07 PM

This week's lunchtime refinishing project was the steel tripod leg tips from my Unitron 114.  I sanded them down to clean metal, re-pointed the tips, and hit them with both etching primer and sanding primer.  Then a good coat of catalyzed automotive paint.  I used a satin base but a glossy reducer so it came out just about right.  I may buff them for a higher gloss.  Here they are just stuck on the tripod legs to see how it looks- much better than before, most of the old paint was scratched off halfway down each tip.  I may re-attach them with flat head screws instead of the nails.  The fastener heads will be painted black with a tiny brush, once tightened-down.

114 tripod tips 001.jpg

• Deven Matlick, clamchip, DreamWeaver and 6 others like this

#3066 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

I used little flathead brass screws when I put my Swift back together....the black-and-brass look, while not strictly resto, looks cool.

• Chuck Hards, Terra Nova, TOM KIEHL and 2 others like this

#3067 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:01 AM

I agree, Russ.  I used brass screws and cotter pins on my Swift 838 reproduction tripod.  Adds some class and isn't out of place at all.   Might look good on the Unitron feet, as well.

• TOM KIEHL, Bomber Bob and Joe1950 like this

#3068 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

When I was in Vermont last month I stopped at  a couple of antique shops on the way home As Heather keeps telling me I just might find a Porter Garden scope or a Questar. I didn't find one of those but a 60mm Monolux that was crying for some TLC plus they were having 1/2 price sale so I got for $50. The scope had every lens in it backwards and the objective was missing the spacers ! So I took care of all of that. The mount was missing a number of bolts and screws which I was able to replace. The tripod was beat up  and the screws for the brackets were stripped out. So the legs were sanded and refinished . To fix the stripped wood screws holes I stuck a splinter of hardwood with glue on it into each hole in the legs. That tighten the screws right up. The mount and the  tripod hardware were all repaint.  I still need to repaint the tube. I've used it a couple of times and it is a very nice scope.

- Dave  

monoluxmount.jpg

monoluxscope.jpg

• tim53, Deven Matlick, CharlieB and 11 others like this

#3069 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

With a couple of new threads about the 4.25" Edmund Palomar Jr scopes I decided to dust mine off and do a little observing with it.  I got the scope 20 years ago from the club member. It really isn't  a true Palomar Jr but was assembled from Edmund parts. It had a real cheap 5 x 23 mm finder on it with a singlet objective. It was useless ! So I decided to replace it with a 6x30 Edmund finder of very nice quality and with a set Edmund finder rings.  Now I can find stuff !

It's  a sunny and  cold Thanksgiving day down here in Delaware so before all the activities start, I'm going to take a look at Venus and Jupiter in the daytime sky with it and the new finder makes that much easier to do.

Happy Thanksgiving !

- Dave 

425edmundscope.jpg    

• tim53, DreamWeaver, terrapin and 6 others like this

#3070 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

When I was in Vermont last month I stopped at  a couple of antique shops on the way home As Heather keeps telling me I just might find a Porter Garden scope or a Questar. I didn't find one of those but a 60mm Monolux that was crying for some TLC plus they were having 1/2 price sale so I got for $50. The scope had every lens in it backwards and the objective was missing the spacers ! So I took care of all of that. The mount was missing a number of bolts and screws which I was able to replace. The tripod was beat up  and the screws for the brackets were stripped out. So the legs were sanded and refinished . To fix the stripped wood screws holes I stuck a splinter of hardwood with glue on it into each hole in the legs. That tighten the screws right up. The mount and the  tripod hardware were all repaint.  I still need to repaint the tube. I've used it a couple of times and it is a very nice scope.

- Dave  

attachicon.gifmonoluxmount.jpg

attachicon.gifmonoluxscope.jpg

Good job Dave, it looks great.

#3071 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:19 PM

Yep, I'd have thrown a $50 bill at that Monolux, too!  Good find!!

#3072 terrapin

terrapin

Messenger

• Loc: Oakland, California

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:56 PM

When I was in Vermont last month I stopped at  a couple of antique shops on the way home As Heather keeps telling me I just might find a Porter Garden scope or a Questar. I didn't find one of those but a 60mm Monolux that was crying for some TLC plus they were having 1/2 price sale so I got for $50....

- Dave  

attachicon.gifmonoluxmount.jpg

attachicon.gifmonoluxscope.jpg

Your Monolux looks familiar. I have very similar scope branded "Horizon".

4137044-hoc-horizon.jpg

4137064-hoc-nameplate.jpg

• tim53, clamchip, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#3073 terrapin

terrapin

Messenger

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

Today I replaced the collimation nuts on my RV-6 with wingnuts for easier adjustments.

This may be a silly question...or maybe not. The nuts and washers I replaced today were brass and I don't know/remember if these were original. I replaced the brass nuts with brass wingnuts and the brass washers with stainless steel washers that are slightlyy thinner and of a smaller diameter.

Could type of metal of the nuts and washers, and the size of the washers, significantly affect how well the cell will hold collimation?

Attached Thumbnails

• rv6cell.jpg

#3074 terrapin

terrapin

Messenger

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:27 PM

After switching out the nuts and bolts, I collimated my RV-6, and I confess I still lack confidence interpreting collimation results. And now since it's cloudy, I have plenty of time to wonder how well collimated it is. Everything looked lined-up visually, but taking a look at an enlarged image through the Chesire, I'm thinking now that it's not...

Can I get some feedback on this?

Attached Thumbnails

• rv6collimation.jpg

#3075 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:37 PM

Today I replaced the collimation nuts on my RV-6 with wingnuts for easier adjustments.

This may be a silly question...or maybe not. The nuts and washers I replaced today were brass and I don't know/remember if these were original. I replaced the brass nuts with brass wingnuts and the brass washers with stainless steel washers that are slightlyy thinner and of a smaller diameter.

Could type of metal of the nuts and washers, and the size of the washers, significantly affect how well the cell will hold collimation?

Not unless the wingnuts and washers are made of really flimsy metal.....

• terrapin likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics