•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
4519 replies to this topic

#3951 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Piccolomini Observatory

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

I took down the little 40mm zoom Halleyscope, and set it up on the Manon tripod that Chuck sent me a while back. The tiltable "pier" turns the whole thing into a quasi-equatorial for visual use.
All ready to go!
  • Mr Magoo, CharlieB, steve t and 3 others like this

#3952 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:10 AM

I did something very risky. I put my desert storm mylar cover over my telescope and left it outside. Today severre rainstorms came and we had two periods of heavy rain. So tomorrow I go into the backyard to see how well the cover worked.

I did a liveness test today and everything is A-OK.

• Vesper818, ghostboo and Allanbarth1 like this

#3953 ghostboo

ghostboo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ocean Springs, MS

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:57 AM

I jumped into the 21st century today. Recently, I bought a new SkyWatcher AZ/EQ5 Pro on the Black Friday sale and wanted to try connecting it to my laptop. I told my buddies that I would probably postpone this until I had a permanent set-up but that's not going to happen for about another year. So, I decided to give it a try. I downloaded EDMOD and Carte du Ceil, followed the instructions to the letter, and failed miserably to get it to work. I was very frustrated at that point and ready to postpone that until I got my observatory built.

Then on a gut feeling, I changed the baud rate to the next higher setting and had success. The program connected to my mount and I was launched into coolness. I ended up playing with my mount through the laptop for hours. It slewed wherever I selected. I love the idea of ditching my SynScan hand controller. I capped off my day with an ice cold beer to celebrate.

Edited by ghostboo, 03 December 2018 - 01:59 AM.

• steve t, ziridava, DMala and 2 others like this

#3954 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:40 AM

I got out my old Unitron 127 last night, realized that I only needed one 40mm Unitron and the 740 was going to be the keeper.  So I listed the rare 127 in the Classifieds here, and it was gone in what was surely less than two hours!  It never even made it to the CL/eBay thread.

Congrats to the new owner!

• Vesper818, CharlieB, terraclarke and 1 other like this

#3955 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:32 PM

Inter-generational Cooperation:  2 APOs are better than 1...

APM ED 152 S062 (Takahashi FC-50).jpg

Yes!  My vintage FC-50 + Bresser rings puts my APM 152 at a much better position in the saddle.  Both scopes are locked & loaded, with 1.25" Baader prism + Meade RF ER20 in the 50mm, and 2" GSO dielectric + vintage UO PL50 (my heaviest EP so far) in the 152mm.  Both scopes are F8, but the APM makes the TAK look very tiny indeed.  Perfectly balanced on both axes as pictured.  Looks like we'll get some cloud gaps after sunset, but ain't no way I'll be moving this rig intact!

• rolo, CCD-Freak, astro140 and 13 others like this

#3956 telesonic

telesonic

Mariner 2

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:28 AM

Since the last weekend dumped nearly a foot of snow, and the warmest daytime temperatures have been mid 20's..... all week, I decided to do some work on my favorite gem mount. Inspired by beanerds Super Polaris R-100L thread here in the classics, and his creative use of an adapter to mount the sp on a Meade tripod.... the wheels upstairs began turning. 

After giving some specs to the local machinist, with a little creativity and some hardware store parts / pieces I now have a rock - solid platform for the SP. I already had the HD tripod hanging around, so why not?

Tonight's test-fit check is a go.

First impression... it looks ridiculous and heavy. 

Temp

Sp2

Sp1

Edited by telesonic, 07 December 2018 - 01:54 AM.

• CCD-Freak, steve t, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#3957 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

Isn't that a Celestron tripod? Anyway.....great work! smile.gif

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

• telesonic likes this

#3958 Augustus

Augustus

Stardust Telescopes

• Vendors
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:42 AM

Got a hybrid diagonal in the mail for my C90 so it clears the base when aimed at the pole.

Edited by Augustus, 07 December 2018 - 11:42 AM.

• steve t likes this

#3959 telesonic

telesonic

Mariner 2

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:36 PM

Isn't that a Celestron tripod? Anyway.....great work! smile.gif

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Yeah, I used the Ultima HD tripod... the inspiration came from a post on the Meade one. My bad. smile.gif

Thanks btw. Always helps knowing a good machinist.

• CCD-Freak likes this

#3960 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:47 PM

Yeah, I used the Ultima HD tripod... the inspiration came from a post on the Meade one. My bad. smile.gif

Thanks btw. Always helps knowing a good machinist.

Yup....A good tripod makes all the difference and a good machinist friend is a great thing to have.

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak, 07 December 2018 - 10:48 PM.

• telesonic likes this

#3961 Augustus

Augustus

Stardust Telescopes

• Vendors

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:30 AM

The original focuser was pretty annoying to use, especially with heavy eyepieces, so I put my spare Moonlite focuser on the RV6. I cut the hole carefully so that if I switched back to the original there would be no ugly hole around the edge.

rv6moonlites.jpg

• rolo, CCD-Freak, steve t and 5 others like this

#3962 KentTolley

KentTolley

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:30 AM

Not knowing how to cut a larger hole for a 2" focuser to replace a 1.25" one, would you say how you did it?

#3963 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:12 PM

When should we stop restoring a scope?

When I get a vintage rig, my first priority is to make it functional, so I can decide fairly if it's a Keeper or not.  If it's a thumb's down, that's usually where I stop.  Do y'all continue restoring?

Not knowing how to cut a larger hole for a 2" focuser to replace a 1.25" one, would you say how you did it?

I upgraded the 1.25" focuser on my Edmund 6" F4 Newt by just tracing the larger tube over the existing hole, and using a keyhole saw & carpet knife to cut the material, which turned out to be similar to my RV-6's tube, and a "fine" 3M sanding block to finish the new edges.  Lick of flat black paint, and she was good to go!

Sheer simplicity!  Not too many parts, and I'm okay with that.  I think the Edmund tube is thicker than the Criterion, but both look to me like thin "paper" wrapped in resined layers:

ATM 150mm F4 Newtonian - S01 (Exploded Parts View).jpg

Since it's a Keeper, I'm going to go back & fancy it up, and use it until one of the grandkids gets old enough to inherit it -- if they want it.  Otherwise, it stays in the Collection!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 12 December 2018 - 09:40 PM.

• Mr Magoo, CCD-Freak, steve t and 4 others like this

#3964 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:52 PM

Everything is complete with this restoration now. The mount is done and the tube rings are cleaned and relined with new felt and installed . The total instrument has been balanced and is once again ready to collect Photons again . Being the rarity of this scope ( Maybe Six known to be sold in a 3 yr. span ) and the two other known examples mentioned in this thread . I decided to give my scope an identity , and label it as such , 8" F7 UNIVERSITY KIT TELESCOPE 1 OF 6 SOLD . This might be of interest to some future owner after I'm gone .

Outdoor pictures to follow if and when the clouds clear out here in Ohio .

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5780.jpg
  • IMG_5781.jpg

• tim53, CCD-Freak, DreamWeaver and 10 others like this

#3965 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:05 PM

This is what I did when I installed a 2" focuser on my Coulter.  I used a 1.25" hole saw to drill a hole in a piece of scrap wood.  Then I used the piece that was left in the hole saw after the hole was cut.  I attached that to piece of scrap wood that is long enough to reach the hole on the ota.  I wrapped the round piece with some tape so it would have a snug fit in the 1.25" hole in the ota.  Then I clamped it to the inside of the ota, with the 1.25" piece sticking out through the hole in the ota, and used a 2-1/8" hole saw to cut the new hole.  The hole that the drill bit made in the 1.25" piece keeps the hole saw centered for the new cut.

Edited by DreamWeaver, 12 December 2018 - 02:25 PM.

• tim53, roscoe, steve t and 3 others like this

#3966 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:38 PM

One thing leads to another...  Y'all remember this unusual acrylic & wood fork mount?

AZ Fork Mount S06 (C90).jpg

It has a ball-bearing platter for smooth moves, and firm axis locks, and a standard 1/4-20 tripod socket on the bottom...

I picked up this cheap AZ mount with illuminated scales:

AZ Mount Illuminated Scales A01.jpg AZ Mount Illuminated Scales A03.jpg

Plus coarse & fine adjustments, aluminum tripod, and accessory tray.

Put the two together, and -- Voila!  Ultra-light EQ fork for my dinkiest spotters.

• Mr Magoo, Vesper818, CharlieB and 13 others like this

#3967 Mike Unsold

Mike Unsold

Vendor, MLUnsold - ImagesPlus

• Vendors

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:25 AM

Looks real good Tom.

I manged to lose your call with questions about the 10" Cave.

If you still have them please again or email

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#3968 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 December 2018 - 05:24 PM

Made tube end caps for these two scopes today .

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5746.jpg
  • IMG_5787.jpg
  • IMG_5492.jpg
  • IMG_5496.jpg
  • IMG_5497.jpg

• tim53, Mr Magoo, rolo and 7 others like this

#3969 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:07 PM

Got around to cleaning the glass on this old beauty.  The objective cell is unusual.  Two parts, with all the glass in the front section which screws into the rest of the cell which then attaches to the tube.  Very nice glass, by the way.  I haven't had this one out in quite a while, so at the next clear night, M43 awaits.  These two scopes are very complimentary, and I always find myself going back & forth between the 76mm and 40mm scopes.  I also did some work on the mount and it's smooth as glass with almost zero backlash.

Attached Thumbnails

• F-384.jpg
  • F-384 cell.jpg

• rolo, astro140, DreamWeaver and 12 others like this

#3970 Pete W

Pete W

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:33 PM

Finished up repairing and repainting the tube of a recently-acquired RV-6 (lots of great advice from Compressorguy [Scott] on patching the numerous holes and dents in the tube ).    The last fix was replacing the perished cork clutch.  The arrangement of having a cork clutch on one side of the brass gear and an aluminum pressure plate directly pressing on brass on the other side seems a bit half-done, considering that the brass gear is sandwiched between the two aluminum plates.  Instead of cork I cut out and stacked two disks of milk jug plastic to replace the cork and use one disk of milk jug on the other side of the brass gear.   No grease is needed to have super-smooth motion.

Tonight I plugged it in to make adjustments to the pressure plate so that it will adequately "grab" the gear.  Seems likes its gonna work, but need to check it under the stars.

Attached Thumbnails

• RV-6 pic.jpg
  • RV-6 clutch.jpg
  • RV-6 clutch-2.jpg

Edited by Pete W, 13 December 2018 - 10:35 PM.

• rolo, CCD-Freak, DreamWeaver and 11 others like this

#3971 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:43 AM

Interesting idea!  I've got an RV-6 mount in the 'rebuild' pile, and I'm sure, considering the rest of its condition, that the cork will be history.....

• rolo and steve t like this

#3972 Augustus

Augustus

Stardust Telescopes

• Vendors

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:26 PM

C90 maintenance!

First off, my power cord arrived from Starbird today. Upon plugging it in, the drive made no sound.

After dismantling the entire mount I determined that the drive is working fine, it's just really quiet.

I then flocked and cleaned the OTA, relubed the focuser and mount, and put it all back together.

Now I just need that stupidly rare wedge and tripod......

• rolo, clamchip, steve t and 2 others like this

#3973 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:20 PM

I have spent the last three days , cleaning , rearranging ,  sorting , and overall making my workshop more user friendly . It has been needing done for a long time . My Back Is Killing Me . Time for my herbal supplement and hang from my inversion bed for a half a hour .....grin.gif waytogo.gif     

• rolo, clamchip, steve t and 1 other like this

#3974 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:04 PM

Herbal supplement?belushi.gif

• clamchip, TOM KIEHL, Augustus and 2 others like this

#3975 Pete W

Pete W

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:58 PM

Interesting idea!  I've got an RV-6 mount in the 'rebuild' pile, and I'm sure, considering the rest of its condition, that the cork will be history.....

Some good news and some not-so-good news with the RV-6.  First the good news.  

A couple nights ago I fiddled with the pressure between the aluminum and brass.  With the two stacked milk jug rings there was too much slippage, tracking would either not engage or would be delayed for a number of arc minutes.  Tonight I removed one of the two rings and found it definitely worked better.  I had to tighten the screws quite a bit for there to be enough grab, but this helped with the almost too-smooth motion, considering there’s no RA lock. So far so good with this experiment.  

The not-so-good news is that the primary seems to be sub par.  Lots of flaring on the inside of focus, and star images are soft without nice diffraction rings...looks like a turned down edge ☹️  Doubles tonight looked much better in my 60mm f/15 refractor.  It is usable but not what I was hoping for.  Oh well, guess I’ll be looking for an inexpensive replacement 6” f/8 primary.    

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics