•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
3960 replies to this topic

#3951 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Treehouse Observatory

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

I took down the little 40mm zoom Halleyscope, and set it up on the Manon tripod that Chuck sent me a while back. The tiltable "pier" turns the whole thing into a quasi-equatorial for visual use.
All ready to go!
  • Mr Magoo, CharlieB, steve t and 3 others like this

#3952 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:10 AM

I did something very risky. I put my desert storm mylar cover over my telescope and left it outside. Today severre rainstorms came and we had two periods of heavy rain. So tomorrow I go into the backyard to see how well the cover worked.

I did a liveness test today and everything is A-OK.

• Vesper818, ghostboo and Allanbarth1 like this

#3953 ghostboo

ghostboo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ocean Springs, MS

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:57 AM

I jumped into the 21st century today. Recently, I bought a new SkyWatcher AZ/EQ5 Pro on the Black Friday sale and wanted to try connecting it to my laptop. I told my buddies that I would probably postpone this until I had a permanent set-up but that's not going to happen for about another year. So, I decided to give it a try. I downloaded EDMOD and Carte du Ceil, followed the instructions to the letter, and failed miserably to get it to work. I was very frustrated at that point and ready to postpone that until I got my observatory built.

Then on a gut feeling, I changed the baud rate to the next higher setting and had success. The program connected to my mount and I was launched into coolness. I ended up playing with my mount through the laptop for hours. It slewed wherever I selected. I love the idea of ditching my SynScan hand controller. I capped off my day with an ice cold beer to celebrate.

Edited by ghostboo, 03 December 2018 - 01:59 AM.

• steve t, ziridava, DMala and 1 other like this

#3954 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:40 AM

I got out my old Unitron 127 last night, realized that I only needed one 40mm Unitron and the 740 was going to be the keeper.  So I listed the rare 127 in the Classifieds here, and it was gone in what was surely less than two hours!  It never even made it to the CL/eBay thread.

Congrats to the new owner!

• Vesper818, CharlieB, terraclarke and 1 other like this

#3955 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:32 PM

Inter-generational Cooperation:  2 APOs are better than 1...

APM ED 152 S062 (Takahashi FC-50).jpg

Yes!  My vintage FC-50 + Bresser rings puts my APM 152 at a much better position in the saddle.  Both scopes are locked & loaded, with 1.25" Baader prism + Meade RF ER20 in the 50mm, and 2" GSO dielectric + vintage UO PL50 (my heaviest EP so far) in the 152mm.  Both scopes are F8, but the APM makes the TAK look very tiny indeed.  Perfectly balanced on both axes as pictured.  Looks like we'll get some cloud gaps after sunset, but ain't no way I'll be moving this rig intact!

• CCD-Freak, astro140, clamchip and 11 others like this

#3956 telesonic

telesonic

Vostok 1

• Loc: 43˚ N 115˚ W

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:28 AM

Since the last weekend dumped nearly a foot of snow, and the warmest daytime temperatures have been mid 20's..... all week, I decided to do some work on my favorite gem mount. Inspired by beanerds Super Polaris R-100L thread here in the classics, and his creative use of an adapter to mount the sp on a Meade tripod.... the wheels upstairs began turning. 

After giving some specs to the local machinist, with a little creativity and some hardware store parts / pieces I now have a rock - solid platform for the SP. I already had the HD tripod hanging around, so why not?

Tonight's test-fit check is a go.

First impression... it looks ridiculous and heavy. 

Temp

Sp2

Sp1

Edited by telesonic, 07 December 2018 - 01:54 AM.

• steve t, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#3957 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Apollo

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

Isn't that a Celestron tripod? Anyway.....great work! smile.gif

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

• telesonic likes this

#3958 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:42 AM

Got a hybrid diagonal in the mail for my C90 so it clears the base when aimed at the pole.

Edited by Augustus, 07 December 2018 - 11:42 AM.

• steve t likes this

#3959 telesonic

telesonic

Vostok 1

• Loc: 43˚ N 115˚ W

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:36 PM

Isn't that a Celestron tripod? Anyway.....great work! smile.gif

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Yeah, I used the Ultima HD tripod... the inspiration came from a post on the Meade one. My bad. smile.gif

Thanks btw. Always helps knowing a good machinist.

• CCD-Freak likes this

#3960 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Apollo

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:47 PM

Yeah, I used the Ultima HD tripod... the inspiration came from a post on the Meade one. My bad. smile.gif

Thanks btw. Always helps knowing a good machinist.

Yup....A good tripod makes all the difference and a good machinist friend is a great thing to have.

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak, 07 December 2018 - 10:48 PM.

• telesonic likes this

#3961 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:30 AM

The original focuser was pretty annoying to use, especially with heavy eyepieces, so I put my spare Moonlite focuser on the RV6. I cut the hole carefully so that if I switched back to the original there would be no ugly hole around the edge.

rv6moonlites.jpg

• CCD-Freak, steve t, terraclarke and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics