•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
4526 replies to this topic

#4526 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted Yesterday, 09:44 PM

Second coat of tung oil on the ATCO 1253 box, finally got the slop out of the RA gear and got it to mesh without binding. Learned quite a bit in the process, in addition to how stiff old grease can get. 

Fabricated new wood posts for the solar screen and tailpiece to go into the other ATCO 1253 box, which had lost them. They're gluing now. Also made a replacement retaining finger for the spreader holder. 

Both of the 1253s, plus the Monloux 4380 should get packed and documented tomorrow. 

Despite them looking like nearly identical scopes, the Monolux has a box layout like the Selsi 247. It's also an HOC, like the Selsi. The two Yamatar Atco 1253's have a different box design. 

Chip W. 

• tim53 likes this

#4527 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted Today, 10:18 PM

After the tung oil was dry, I found that a bottom seam was loose, so I glued that back up. Tightening it revealed an area of lifting veneer, so it got glued too. Then I put on the new hinges and latches. One of those small-pleasure moments -- discovering that the modern hinges matched the original hole pattern, so they just had to be screwed on. Then got the scope documented and packed. 

Was putting the other ATCO in its box and remembered that I still had to make one of the L-shaped pressure plates for the bottom of one of the legs, so I did that and finished documenting and packing it. 

Also got the Monolux 4380 documented and packed. Much different from the ATCOs, even though they look like the same scope when set up. 

With the ATCO's, the legs and OTA come off the mount, which lays sideways underneath them, with the counterweight shaft going through a hole in one partition. As a side note, these are the only mounts I've seen where the leg bolts just slide into slots the mount base, rather than being threaded through holes. Getting the toe-saver back onto the end of the shaft, once it is in place, is pretty frustrating for someone with fat fingers. 

The Monolux, like the Selsi, stays fully assembled except for the spreader. But it has to do that complicated inversion of the tripod legs, up over the mount, with the saddle as far down toward the tail end as possible. The focus knobs go up, and the finder goes down. This is the first of these I've encountered with that hexagonal insert that goes between the legs to keep them from flopping around. What a difference that makes! Now I have to fabricate one for the Selsi. 

Six scopes ready to go out. Need four more done, for the eager beavers to take home for the summer. Then I have a little time to deal with the more challenging ones before they go out in September. 

Chip W. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics