•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
4700 replies to this topic

#4651 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:54 PM

Lastnight I took apart and cleaned up this Sky Cheif II that was picked up a few days agp. I started with cleaning the lenses, and then just kept on going cleaning and polishing every thing I could before it was re-assembled. I also tried to make a few pratical improvements in functionality.

1.JPG

First I shimmed the focus tube to get rid of unwanted play. I used a strip cut from a deck of playing cards.

I noticed the focus tube even though it was designed to accept .965" accesosories was large enough to accept 1.25" accesoiries if I could find a way to fasten them. It has a threaded design to accept prisms and accesosories that looked like this.

2.JPG

I found a piece of pvc piping in the basement that was just about the right size. After sanding it down for a perfect fit I heated it up alittle in some hot water, and was able to thread into the exisiting threads at the end of the focuser. Once it cooled off, I kept on rotating it in and out and this process cut in some new threads. (If you want to try this yourself, I did wipe on just a small bit of vaseline to prevent it from sticking while I was cutting the new threads and once finished cleaned it away). I then cut the pipe down to a size I wanted, and inserted a set screw for the eyepeice and painted it black, It was a easy to make removable adapter made from a drain pipe that will allow me to use 1.25" accesories and eye pieces with this vintage scope. Here is the adapter that was made.with a 1.25" diagonal now attached.

3.JPG

Next I noticed that the tripods legs were too close together, making it easy to tip over. I fixed this by raisng the center tray assembly up a few inches on each leg. Ths spread the legs out anopther 6" allowing  for a wider stance and more stability. I think I may even go up another inch as the current stance could be even wider. (But just a few inches did make a noticable difference already).

4.JPG

After it was all waxed and polished I rubed in some linseed oil on the legs. I still need to clean the wood legs up a little more, and apply a few more coats (I noticed a few tiny bits of paint splatter I missed in my initial cleanup). Im  happy with the results so far, and like the way this one looks. I'm anxious to test it out and compare it to my Meade which is basically the same size but not constructed nearly as nice. I also plan to replace the slow motion control cables with some knobs from a old stereo reciever. Since they are basically a metal spring, they shake for a long time after letting them go, and they have some weight to them.

The previous owner labeled all the parts of the telescope with a label gun, (Probably for Instructional  purposes), I may keep these labels attached but am still undecided. Pretty much all the parts have labels on them, even the accessories and finder scope. If its a part that moves in any way, there is a label to be found. The labels remind me of something my grandfather would have done in his garage / work shop.

5.JPG

6.JPG

ts a scope in nice condition, that when picked up, looked like it may have sat in its wood case for a decade or two. It just needed to be cleaned up a bit. I think I will keep the labels to maintain its character. At first I planned to remove them, but they are growing on me.

For fun I also take apart fishing reels (Over the years I have refurbished. repaired and sold hundreds of higher end vintage and collectible models), I have also repaired a few wind up clocks for my own interests, but am by no means a expert..In comparison to both, the scope mounts I have encountered are super easy to take apart and clean back up.

Edited by Mbinoc, 07 August 2019 - 07:28 PM.

• rolo, steve t, Marc-Andre and 4 others like this

#4652 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:50 PM

I almost forgot the best part. both the finder scope, and telescope optics cleaned up very well. When purchased there was one spot on the lens I was woried about, but after disasembly and cleaning the questionable spot was removed with just distilled water.

Optics are always hard to photograph, this is what it looks like after last nights cleaning. They look almost flawless.

1.JPG

Upon first inspection the Sky Chief optics appear to have less flaws than my Meade, but the jury is still out to see which scope will offer the better views. It will be interesting to see if todays inexpensive scopes make up with improved coatings, as opposed to a higher qaulity design from days gone by (The speckles of light  in the photo is the tree line in back yard, not the lens).  If the Meade wins, I may try to swap the lens if it it may happen to fit, as that is the only question. Every other piece is definitely nicer, and made with higher qaulity on the Sky Chief.

My Meade is as a 60mm x 900mm equatorial mount telescope, The Sky Cheif is listed as a 60mm x 910mm. Interestingly once I measured them in the retracted postion they are the exact same length, It's only when the focuserr is fully extended out there is a 10mm difference.

I'm interseted to see how they will compare, as I have read a review here by someone a few years back who said a cheaper model newer Meade was better in comparison, but also read positive reviews on this scope by other members. Only time will be able to decide my own conclutions.

Since I made the 1.25" adapter for the Sjy Chief, and also modified my Meade to accept 1.25" accessories, I will have the benefit of using the same diagonal and eye peices in my own curiosity tests, and will post what ever results I find.

One of these two scopes in some combination will be given away at some point  I'm not going to keep them both

My heart wants the Sky Chief to win, but I will have to wait for the actual results. I will try my best to be unbiased in the comparison..

Edited by Mbinoc, 07 August 2019 - 07:19 PM.

• Marc-Andre, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#4653 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:52 PM

I noticed the focus tube even though it was designed to accept .965" accesosories was large enough to accept 1.25" accesoiries if I could find a way to fasten them. It has a threaded design to accept prisms and accesosories that looked like this.

attachicon.gif 2.JPG

I found a piece of pvc piping in the basement that was just about the right size. After sanding it down for a perfect fit I heated it up alittle in some hot water, and was able to thread into the exisiting threads at the end of the focuser. Once it cooled off, I kept on rotating it in and out and this process cut in some new threads. (If you want to try this yourself, I did wipe on just a small bit of vaseline to prevent it from sticking while I was cutting the new threads and once finished cleaned it away). I then cut the pipe down to a size I wanted, and inserted a set screw for the eyepeice and painted it black, It was a easy to make removable adapter made from a drain pipe that will allow me to use 1.25" accesories and eye pieces with this vintage scope. Here is the adapter that was made.with a 1.25" diagonal now attached.

attachicon.gif 3.JPG

There are commercially available 1-1/4" EP adapters with the 36.4mm thread that fit this and other scopes.  Here are some sources.  The third is interesting in that it also incorporates a helical focus.  

Vixen

Borg

Baader

Edited by Marc-Andre, 07 August 2019 - 04:53 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar and Mbinoc like this

#4654 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:45 PM

There are commercially available 1-1/4" EP adapters with the 36.4mm thread that fit this and other scopes.  Here are some sources.  The third is interesting in that it also incorporates a helical focus.  

Vixen

Borg

Baader

Thanks,  (Im a beginner in the hobby, and am not always aware of items available like this).  If this scope ends up being a keeper, I may splurge a bit and pick one of those products up.

I picked this last scope up for $35.99.and have already put in several hours cleaning it up.  Compared with my other local scope purchases it was not a steal, but I still consider it a deal.

If time spent cleaning, polishing, lubing, and fabricating is worth anything I got close to $100 invested. I like the whole retro aspect that is involved in its construction.

To be honest the cleaning process and the making of the 1.25" adapter was all fun time for me, and not considered real work,  just enjoyable hobby play time well spent.

Actually before I made the 1.25" adapter for this scope, I had thoughts of asking here first, but thought the piece was to obscure to even bother. My guess was wrong.

Edited by Mbinoc, 07 August 2019 - 07:32 PM.

• Marc-Andre likes this

#4655 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:33 PM

Made a best offer on eBay for this grab bag of parts that was accepted. Any one see the gem in this group? 

108051B0-FA33-47F8-98D3-8DA1984CCC50.jpeg

• combatdad, Bomber Bob and Mbinoc like this

#4656 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

Got a nice vintage drive for my recent Towa 80 x 1200, plus a couple .965 eyepieces

2EF7CCB9-8ACC-4E55-9F7F-C41C1A2C6C6C.jpeg

Works perfectly!

• rolo, madeline, Marc-Andre and 7 others like this

#4657 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:39 PM

Can’t wait to try it under the stars

CF15856E-5309-4361-ADD5-914D1EC18E3D.jpeg

• rolo, clamchip, DreamWeaver and 4 others like this

#4658 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:11 PM

Made a best offer on eBay for this grab bag of parts that was accepted. Any one see the gem in this group? 

attachicon.gif 108051B0-FA33-47F8-98D3-8DA1984CCC50.jpeg

Oh, Man!  I always wanted one of those night writer pen brackets.

lol.gif

(Good find.)

Edited by Garyth64, 09 August 2019 - 06:12 PM.

#4659 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:14 PM

Nice find Scott! 

#4660 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:46 PM

Oh, Man!  I always wanted one of those night writer pen brackets.

lol.gif

(Good find.)

Is that what that is? Lol, had no idea! I just saw the drive amongst the “junk”. The eyepieces aren’t that bad although. The 6mm Ortho actually performed well after a good cleaning. Gave a couple of the 1-1/4 eyepieces to my buddies daughter tonight to use in the Astroscan I gave her along with a strap I found. The rest, I’ll probably toss. Tested the drive and it worked perfectly putting the target just on the edge of view of the 6mm at 200x and it would drift right to center and hold. Very satisfying evening viewing Jupiter’s Great Red Spot, Saturn and the moon. Also made checking collimation so much easier and the scope was spot on. 

• Garyth64 likes this

#4661 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:38 AM

Is that what that is? Lol, had no idea! I just saw the drive amongst the “junk”. The eyepieces aren’t that bad although. The 6mm Ortho actually performed well after a good cleaning. Gave a couple of the 1-1/4 eyepieces to my buddies daughter tonight to use in the Astroscan I gave her along with a strap I found. The rest, I’ll probably toss. Tested the drive and it worked perfectly putting the target just on the edge of view of the 6mm at 200x and it would drift right to center and hold. Very satisfying evening viewing Jupiter’s Great Red Spot, Saturn and the moon. Also made checking collimation so much easier and the scope was spot on. 

I believe the pen bracket attached to a steel ball stud that is mounted on the eyepiece tray.  The little wing nut tightened it down. The other end held the pen.

#4662 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scotland

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:43 PM

This arrived today. Baader 36.4mm to helical focusing 1.25" compression ring adapter. I bought it for my incoming Swift 831 but just tried it on my 839. I may have to get a second one. Ironically, after buying this one new, the next day a used one came up in the classifieds! I emailed but I was beaten to it - the advrt had only been viewed 3 times when I emailed the seller! Popular bit of kit, obviously.

gallery_976_3555_8710.jpg

• Pete W, Ken Sturrock, Marc-Andre and 6 others like this

#4663 Pete W

Pete W

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:28 AM

Spent some time with the RV-6's clock drive.  My earlier experiments with non-cork clutch material were disappointing, so a picked up 9(!) 1/32" cork sheets.  It's fairly course-grained cork; plenty of holes when held up to light.  This makes cutting it an exercise in patience.  I've read that some CN'ers lubed the thin cork.  I went dry (didn't feel like buying more grease!) and don't see any issues so far.

Another complication is that the brass gear seemed to bind with the worm at certain locations.  I believe it is caused by the gear being slightly tilted, off by less than a tenth of a mm.  After extensive fiddling & caliper measurements I got the worm and gear mesh reasonably well.  Had a test run last night and worked OK, but need the motor to run through a full 360 rotation of the gear.   Have other RV-6'ers run into similar problems in meshing their worm and gear?  

BTW, I got some cork leftovers, PM me if you want a sheet.

Edited by Pete W, 11 August 2019 - 10:29 AM.

• steve t, Bomber Bob and Joe1950 like this

#4664 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

Disassembled the Selsi 247 mount, removed the stiff original, 1961 grease, relubricated, and reassembled. The only hitch was that there was a grub screw hidden at the bottom end of the declination shaft. In retrospect, it would have been accessible through a small hole. Instead, as I unscrewed the shaft, its head was sticking out just far enough to score the inside surface. There was resistance, but no more than would be expected from stiff grease. The screw had a slotted head, and one side of the slotted portion broke off.

Once I realized what happened, I sanded down the inner surface to get rid of raised areas, and cut a new slot in the screw using a coping saw, then trimmed off the extra bit from the old slot. (I didn't have a spare set screw in this size, which looked like M4.) The screw goes through the piece at the bottom end of the shaft and into the threaded bolt that it screws on to (top right in the third picture). The threads in the bolt were damaged, but by lining up the bottom piece, I was able to use the screw to clean them up. It's now in deep enough that it doesn't touch the inner surface. The hole for the screw was not centered on the bolt, running through at an odd angle, indicating that they probably just drilled and tapped it once it was assembled.

Here is the mount with the RA shaft exposed before cleaning. 

Selsi 247 - 1.jpg

Here is the RA gear assembly off and cleaned.

Selsi 247 - 2.jpg

Here is the declination shaft, with the slow motion disassembled. The problem screw is in the center, near the top. 

Selsi 247 - 3.jpg

Previously, the mount was stiff to turn. In winter cold, it actually locked solid. Now it turns easily and smoothly. One thing I noticed with some internal areas is that the gray wrinkle paint is sprayed over a layer that looks just like the ATCO blue paint. 

The scope is now ready to go out on loan. 

I also opened up the diagonal that came with the Unitron 140 that I bought from Johann. When I was using it the other night, I noticed that objects moved significantly in the view as it was rotated. It's a completely different manufacture than the one I got from Neil that was out of collimation. That early one was all black, with a metal housing. This one has a silver eyepiece tube and a plastic housing. Even so, the method of holding the prism in place was identical - four small triangles of three-ply cardboard glued to the back of the prism in the corners. I glued them instead to a piece of black poster board, to add a little thickness, and reassembled it after cleaning the prism. Water and alcohol both failed to get the gunk off the glass, but Scrubbing Bubbles with bleach did the trick, followed by a distilled water rinse. 

Chip W. 

• tim53, Pete W, steve t and 3 others like this

#4665 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:51 PM

The Selsi 247 was the first classic that I got, from a local Craigslist sale. There was a spot of fungus between the lenses that wasn't bad, but worrisome. At the time, I couldn't budge the retaining ring, so I left it. But in the intervening years, I've learned that some classic cells use grub screws, and after yesterday's experience with the mount, I decided to try again. Sure enough, there was an extremely tiny grub screw. It looked like a spot of dirt on the threads, and the slot was indeed full of dirt. But with a fine jeweler's screwdriver I was able to back it out, remove the retaining ring and a spacer ring, and access the lenses.

The first thing I noticed was a perfect set of Newton's rings. In addition, I was struck by how beautiful the glass was. I've taken quite few scopes apart over the years, and seen some nice glass. But this just jumped out as gorgeous for its clarity, surface smoothness, and color. 

The lenses cleaned up very nicely. The fungus left just a faint blemish in the coating on the front surface of the flint. What was interesting was that, unlike other objectives I've taken apart, the spacers were a fairly thick foil (thicker than aluminum foil - more like a shim material), and they were bent over the edge and glued to the side of the flint. The bend actually formed a slight lip, that kept the crown centered. One of them was loose, and I didn't try to glue it back in place. 

There was a brief panic when I found that my cleaning had also removed my alignment marks, but there was one spot from a spacer still on the crown, and in rotating it to the different spacer positions, I found a faint impression of the marks. Then I caught myself starting to put it into the cell backwards (and realized why the spacers were bent down along the side of the flint). 

I put it back into the box (discovering that the saddle knobs have to be down for the lid to close). I also made a replacement leg spacer out of an extra piece of the interlocking foam tile that is on my observatory floor (because I drop things). Now it really is ready to go out on loan.

Selsi 247 - 1 (1).jpg

Chip W. 

• steve t, Bomber Bob, walter a and 2 others like this

#4666 Pete W

Pete W

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

Tonight I'm testing my DC to AC setup so that I can run the clock drive on the RV-6 with my little lithium battery.  Needed a socket adapter to "convert" the battery's 5.5mm plug to the inverter's cigarette lighter plug.  This setup should work on the C5 too...I hope.

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 8.05.50 PM.png

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#4667 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Piccolomini Observatory

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

Slow work on a Tasco 4vte modification to 1.25 astro scope. Using a 1.5" sink pipe extension for draw tube with an ebay helical focuser for fine focus. For the rough focus, the compression end of another 1.5" pipe, with nut and nylon compression ring fit perfectly in the end of the main tube. Sugru and jb weld to the rescue.
Still need to flock inside, and paint.
  • Chuck Hards, Bomber Bob and Joe1950 like this

#4668 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scotland

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

Nothing too exciting. I set up the 839 to test a new zoom eyepiece that arrived today. It's a Seben branded 8-24mm, bought used. It arrived very clean and I used it in the 839 using a Skywatcher 45-degree erect image diagonal into the Baader visual adapter. THe views of flowers, trees etc were very nice. Quite sharp but maybe slightly less so than TeleVue Plossls of similar focal lengths. Still, it worked well and will be a good eyepiece for solar observing. I found the 45-degree diagonal worked well too. I couldn't see any obvious glaring problems, anyway.

I also had another go at unscrewing the focuser from the Swift 831. I do that every time I walk past it, in hopes that eventually it will have been worked at enough that it will actually unscrew! But not yet...   ;)  

• steve t and Joe1950 like this

#4669 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:46 PM

I got out early this morning, and blackened all the old & new parts for that Tasco 4VTE that I converted from a click-stop terrestrial zoom to an astronomical instrument:  the much shorter tube, dew-cap, & new .965" focus tube. Normally, I'd use the brush-one chalkboard black paint, but I had errands to run, so I used Rustoleum spray.  With the heat & low humidity, it's already set.

Since it uses a prism diagonal, I'm gonna swap it out with the Royal 40mm finder on the mighty 4" F 5 Jaeger Meister RFT.  Save The Neck!!

Slow work on a Tasco 4vte modification to 1.25 astro scope.

Is your 4VTE a Kenko, too?

Edited by Bomber Bob, 17 August 2019 - 02:52 PM.

• steve t likes this

#4670 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:55 PM

I got out early this morning, and blackened all the old & new parts for that Tasco 4VTE that I converted from a click-stop terrestrial zoom to an astronomical instrument:  the much shorter tube, dew-cap, & new .965" focus tube. Normally, I'd use the brush-one chalkboard black paint, but I had errands to run, so I used Rustoleum spray.  With the heat & low humidity, it's already set.

I need to do mine one of these days. I think you mentioned that you cut off about 6 inches off, half inch from the yoke screws

How are you attaching the ring to hold the diagonal? 

#4671 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

That's right. These accessories look like the ones for the red tube Tascos, like the 9F I'm selling. There is a chromed ball that fits the accessories tray, just like Garyth64 says. 

I also see the camera adapter in the collection,and what looks like the twist-click zoom eyepiece adapter.

I believe the pen bracket attached to a steel ball stud that is mounted on the eyepiece tray.  The little wing nut tightened it down. The other end held the pen.

• Garyth64 likes this

#4672 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:33 PM

I need to do mine one of these days. I think you mentioned that you cut off about 6 inches off, half inch from the yoke screws

How are you attaching the ring to hold the diagonal? 

I happened to have an old chrome tube that fits inside the focuser that also has a threaded end that fits a 1980s Vixen prism diagonal (I think it's from a C5 or C90 kit).  Being a pack rat can pay off...

No, that was another scope (Oh! How they run together after the first 100 or so!).  In this case, I had a diagonal that with original barrel removed, matched the threads on the 4VTE's focuser tube.

Tasco 4VTE S02 (Cleaned OTA).jpg

Extract the zoom eyepiece, then the knurled thread-on ring, and those tube threads fit the diagonal's housing.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 18 August 2019 - 07:14 AM.

#4673 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:02 PM

I happened to have an old chrome tube that fits inside the focuser that also has a threaded end that fits a 1980s Vixen prism diagonal (I think it's from a C5 or C90 kit).  Being a pack rat can pay off...

No, that was another scope (Oh! How they run together after the first 100 or so!).  In this case, I had a diagonal that with original barrel removed, matched the threads on the 4VTE's focuser tube.

attachicon.gif Tasco 4VTE S02 (Cleaned OTA).jpg

Extract the zoom eyepiece, then the knurled thread-on ring, and those tube threads fit the diagonal's housing.

Thanks Bomber Bob!

• Bomber Bob likes this

#4674 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Piccolomini Observatory

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:59 PM

Yes it is! Beautiful objective, but the cell and tube need repainting. I've never figured how to remove the objective from the cell on these ones with the fixed dew shield. Last time I stuffed both ends with lens tissue an sealed the edges with painters tape. There must be a better way...
  • Bomber Bob and Joe1950 like this

#4675 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:40 AM

Hhmmm.... The lens on my (K) 4VTE is removable:  Has an external retaining ring (very thin brass).  The dew cap also threads on / off.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics