•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
4841 replies to this topic

#4826 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:03 PM

I haven't tried Chalkboard.

A great idea from CHASLX200 is use a toilet mop to apply the paint.

You can make the handle longer, dip the mop in a bucket of black and

lay it in there the sloppier the better. Not too sloppy though, you don't

want thick heavy runs and drips that may break off later.

I'm going to try it next time.

Robert

• Joe1950 likes this

#4827 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:25 PM

I dont have the objective lens mounted yet, but after nearly three weeks of both successes and drawbacks, it feels good to be this close to completion.

I have it hanging by a wire from a ceiling mounted plant hook in the living room.

I'm waiting to place it in the tripod shell, as I do not want the paint to stick.or pick up any flaws.

1.JPG

In my first series of posts on this scope, I thought this was going to be a one day project. I'm now glad to get most of the work behind me.

Edited by Mbinoc, 10 October 2019 - 09:43 PM.

• Pete W, deepwoods1, ziridava and 3 others like this

#4828 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:42 PM

So nice to see a genuinely green scope. As I noted in a thread about scope colors a while back, you can find nearly any color of scope in production except bright green - Takahashi doesn't count. (There are actually a few. I've seen one by Baytronix, and there was a kids telescope line that came in a choice of colors, and Orion has a darker green -- but no major brands seem to use it.)

Maybe you'll start a fad, now that people can see how great it looks!

Chip  W.

• Mbinoc likes this

#4829 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:44 PM

I'm fine with Triumph Spitfire / English Racing Green myself...

Dakin 4 - Restore S06.jpg

• tim53, Mr Magoo, Vesper818 and 13 others like this

#4830 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

A note about Odyssey collimation,

the diagonal flat almost never needs collimation, but if the occasion arises

shim the center bolt platform at the red arrow with paper shims.

Much better than trying to break the mower blade loose at the ends where

it is attached to the tube. You will surely tear up the paint/cardboard.

Robert 

IMG_9483.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 11 October 2019 - 11:11 AM.

• DreamWeaver, Bomber Bob, Joe1950 and 1 other like this

#4831 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:23 AM

Put a new RA slow-mo knob on my C8, it's easier to see in the dark than the old one and looks a lot prettier.

• rolo and Joe1950 like this

#4832 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:28 PM

I have fastened the CT60 head on the Cullmann Titan CT200 tripod.

The head has been somehow loose, the Moon through the scope has been shaky.

On the other day, I have mounted an ATK-MFW filter wheel on the mirror zenith diagonal as a replacement for the Multiple 5-Filter Wheel (China).

ATIK from Portugal feels very smooth, like an aged Porto wine after the 2nd glass.

Best,

JG

• terraclarke and Joe1950 like this

#4833 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:39 PM

I went to Harbor Freight today to have a look at dollies, wheels, casters, etc and other machinery

for moving around large objects.

I put on my Dobson thinking cap for 'simple and effective' and left with no money spent but the right

tool for the job and I happen to own one already, the hand truck. 

Now I can store and move the scope in one piece.

Before I stored the mount and tube separate, taking the mount out and then bringing the tube out

and dropping it into the mount. This is risky because each of these parts are in the 60 lbs or so and

if you are not lifting properly you will feel it.

Robert

IMG_9482.jpg

• rolo, DreamWeaver, TOM KIEHL and 3 others like this

#4834 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:46 PM

With Nurse Mandy et al, I think you have enough dollies, Robert. grin.gif 

• clamchip, DreamWeaver, deepwoods1 and 3 others like this

#4835 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:30 PM

Modified a Meade 884 for my Questar. Drilled a hole in the center to attach the scope and cut out the wedge plate for the power cord. Cheap, very portable and stable.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Meade tripod small.jpg

• Mr Magoo, CCD-Freak, clamchip and 12 others like this

#4836 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

Got my fingers crossed that the current LONG streamer of clouds (from Charleston to Baton Rouge!) stays north of The Swamp tonight, as I finally finished the first of 2 battery packs for my Takahashi EM-1S mount (that rides on the vintage 1960s Italian Filotecnica wood surveyor tripod), and I'd like to test it.  Hey!  An old guy can hope, right?

• rolo likes this

#4837 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:41 PM

I know not everyone thinks this is neccessary, but I already had the objective out, and decided to try darkening the edges before assembly.

1.JPG

Painted last night, and touched up with a marker once dry. The spacer ring was darkened with just a marker.

Edited by Mbinoc, 17 October 2019 - 12:51 PM.

• deepwoods1 and Joe1950 like this

#4838 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:54 PM

If I did that, I'm sure it would only dawn on me afterward that I had painted over the orientation marks. As it is, I keep washing them off when I clean the glass. Don't know how much time I've spent scrutinizing the edges of lenses, looking for faint remnants of pencil.

Chip W. 

• deepwoods1, Joe1950 and Mbinoc like this

#4839 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:00 PM

I got this one first posted a few weeks ago looking pretty again.The exterior painting is now finished.

https://www.cloudyni...-today/page-191

This time I will be patient, wait a few days then tape it off and repaint the inside a flat black, (The original factory paint job inside the tube missed a few spots). I may try to darken the perimeter of the objective for the first time while I'm waiting. Hopefully I'll get it all re-assembled by the end of the weekend.

attachicon.gif 1.JPG

I FLAT OUT LOVE that green tube!!! Now you have me thirsty for a Dairy Queen Lemon-Lime Frosty or whatever they are called now? As far as drilling the holes or cutting out for a 2" R&P, As much as I love them too, I don't think you would be hurting that dob's value and improving one of those is opposite of most Classics as to actually increasing their value. I'd pay more for it with an upgraded Focuser. It is a nice clean Coulter congrats on finding it! 

• Mbinoc likes this

#4840 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Mariner 2

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:37 PM

Agmoonsolns pointed out that my rescue 50mm Kalimar RAO was the less common f12 version, so I tried seeing if it would come to focus installed in the shorter bushnell tube with a 2" diagonal. Just a bit short, but it does work with the f10 lens.

I have to give him/her credit for this rather silly hold-my-beer moment.  12.5x, 5 degree tfov with a 50mm f10, off axis illumination is not noticeably deteriorated.  It's made possible via a component from a 36.4mm camera adapter that has 2" x 24tpi threads on the other end.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191017_212550-01.jpeg

Edited by sdedalus83, 17 October 2019 - 09:37 PM.

• deepwoods1, Ken Sturrock and Mbinoc like this

#4841 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:20 PM

Here is my home-made counter weight set for my LX200 F6.3 Astro rig, AMAZING scope!!!
Thanks to my Great Buddy of 34 years the FERTILE mind of Paul Rini had another of his ideas to make a silk purse from a Sow's ear.

The optics of this scope was bought by a Photographer that submitted Pictures to Meade for future advertisement, they were REJECTED!

The reason was sub-par sharpness and contest. He WALKED the scope back to Meade as he lived close by. 2 weeks later his new scope was ready and this time Emery was told extra work and  further figuring was done by their best optician on the best tube that came down the line. They even hand polished the brass worms and drive gears! It easily beats any Meade SCT I have ever owned or looked through, It is sharper than the 7" Meade Mak I had so I sold the mak, which I was very happy with.

I have the parts to make one more set of these and I am tied between putting it on my beautiful old Cave 8" F7, or I came across a hand picked Celestron 6" F8 refractor. This cheap tube has 1/2 the color of ANY

of the 4 of them I have owned before it, also this tube gobbles magnification like only one of a million lucky tubes can do. This was ascually hand picked by a dealer who goes through every scope and field tests and evaluates every scope he sales. Quality to the point of returning (low average) scopes for exchange! He kept this tube for his personal use, and has been sorry he sold it every since haha!

By the way, thanks to all of you from the bottom of my heart for supporting this topic, I started it during my recovery from the 3rd of my heart attacks, It was about all I could manage,to keep my love of the Sky going, except a quick look at the Moon with my bino's as my health allowed. Every new post really boosted my spirit. So you didn't know it at the time but all my friends here had a very big part of my recovery!  MUCH more than you will ever know.

Bless you my friends,

Larry "Duane" Beach

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0859.JPG
  • DSCN0856.JPG

Edited by orion61, Yesterday, 12:14 AM.

• deepwoods1, Bomber Bob, Joe1950 and 2 others like this

#4842 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:29 PM

I just started stripping the dark brown wooden legs, and completed my first section. I think the natural wood color will complement the painted tube nicer than the orriginal dark brown color and give it a fresher look.

I'm pretty confident I will get the rest of the sections looking as clean as this first one.

2.JPG

Once done the metal brackets on the legs will be painted the same color as the scope. I have hope that when completed it will look pretty sharp.

Lol, I got more time invested in this project already than the scope is worth, but all the work has been fun so far.

Edit: I also added washers under all the screws for no other reason than I think it looks nice, This weekend I will run to the hardware store and try to find brass or copper washers to try and fancy it up a tad more and add a bit more custom detail.

2.JPG ,

The plastic focus knobs will also be lost once I find a suitable replacement. The focuser housing itself is metal, and I feel the plastic knobs cheapen its look.

On another meade branded telescope, I purchased a vintage broken microscope for a few dollars, and found the metal knobs included were a matching dirrect replacement with the correct threading. and the outside diameter of the knobs was larger, making for a slightly easier focus.

Edited by Mbinoc, Yesterday, 11:16 PM.

• Kasmos and Joe1950 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics