•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
5131 replies to this topic

#5126 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:54 PM

Finally got around to collimating a 114 that I picked up from SGW a while ago. First order of business was flipping the crown and flint back to the proper orientation and fixing a damaged spacer. But the images were still disappointing and it turned out to be way out of collimation. It's a bit tricky collimating a cell that wasn't designed for it, but I seem to have gotten the knack for it.

Then started to assemble a frankenscope 114 OTA that I've put together from a combination of spare parts that came with others and a few from donors. It has a "62mm" focuser, a slant-letter objective, and an indeterminate tube. It's amazing that pieces made that many years apart all fit together. Started collimating the cell, but realized the focuser isn't on straight, so I need to get that fixed first. This one has a mount waiting for it, but I also need to find or make a case for it.

There's a third one that needs a replacement for the front baffle. It's also missing the draw tube and tailpiece, no mount, and no case, so it's not a top priority right now. But at least it's collimated and gives nice images. That makes me a bit reluctant to take off the cell to insert a baffle.

Chip W. 

• Mbinoc likes this

#5127 icomet

icomet

Explorer 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:52 PM

Teflon studs.

"The better to rotate with my dear".

Clear Skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• teflon studs f_7 sm.jpg

#5128 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:01 PM

Today at lunch I made some minor modifications to a Tak 50mm finder bracket so it fits my TS-65, and painted it black to match.   Will install it and try to get it lined-up tonight.  

Tak bracket 001.jpg

• Bomber Bob, Allanbarth1, Defenderslideguitar and 2 others like this

#5129 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:33 PM

Here it is installed tonight.  Cloudy skies but I looked at the mountains across the valley, some nine to ten miles distant.  I used some rings and a Vixen dovetail I had on-hand, attached to a Celestron low-end tripod.  Not enough time to set up the Tak mount but I just wanted to align the finder and try the 70s vintage Tak orthos I got last year.   The finder is huge on a 65mm main scope.  I need to move it forward and rotate the reticle illuminator to a better position, or remove it.  It might only be needed under really dark skies.  There is nothing wrong with the factory 5x25mm finder- it is excellent, just a tad small.  A 40mm would be about right, actually.  

I got the finder and bracket used, no illuminator but I had a couple of spares.  I had to remove just a bit from the front of the bracket foot to fit the TS-65.  The hole spacing is the same.  I think this is going to make the backyard sessions a lot easier this summer.  I picked up the Tak 1.25" visual back for the scope as well as 1.25" diagonal.  I used the .965" pieces to try the eyepieces.

045a.jpg

044a.jpg

• CharlieB, DreamWeaver, Terra Nova and 9 others like this

#5130 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:30 AM

I love Takahashi finders. They are so sharp optically and are so well made!

• Chuck Hards, Joe1950 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5131 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:31 AM

Here it is as received used from Khan Scope Centre.   All it needed was some light cleaning and the bracket modded and repainted to match the early Tak color scheme.

Tak bracket 002.jpg

• DreamWeaver, Terra Nova, rcwolpert and 5 others like this

#5132 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:28 PM

Love Tak finders

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics