•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
5481 replies to this topic

#5451 Garyth64

Garyth64

Aurora

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:37 AM

So here's how my homemade dew shield looks on the scope:

Set up 1.jpg

Set up 2.jpg

• photiost, Pete W, steve t and 8 others like this

#5452 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Davisville, MO

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:45 AM

Excellent!   Gary, you should consider going into business

manufacturing custom-sized dew shields....

• Garyth64 likes this

#5453 Pete W

Pete W

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:16 PM

Found that the threads on my broken alt-az axis lock for the Shrine Manon are not standard metric, but I was able to fabricate a workable altitude lock with a long 8-32 bolt and some wing nuts.  Because of the fragility of the original locks I also rigged together a similar device for the azimuth.  I may think about a prettier fix, but for now they work.

20200625_115116.jpg  20200625_115226.jpg

Had the scope under the stars last night for the first time. I need to fiddle with the objective cell - when it's threaded tight against the tube the collimation is noticeably off, but if I unscrew the cell less than a turn then the collimation appears dead on...at least at 116X.  With that magnification Porrima (gamma Vir) was cleanly split and Xi Ursa Major was nearly so, just a smidge of contact between the Airy disks.  

Edited by Pete W, 25 June 2020 - 12:22 PM.

• steve t, Bomber Bob, Garyth64 and 3 others like this

#5454 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Right brain, Left Coast

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:20 PM

A little bit of elmers rubber cement and a flat wood coffee stirrer or similar can help with getting those little nuts back in.

Dave

Great idea! Fortunately, on this tabletop scope, the teeny screws threaded directly into the focuser and tube.
I have everything together on it, but the mount motions need some adjustment.
Happy with apoearances though.
  • steve t likes this

#5455 Garyth64

Garyth64

Aurora

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:05 PM

Found that the threads on my broken alt-az axis lock for the Shrine Manon are not standard metric, but I was able to fabricate a workable altitude lock with a long 8-32 bolt and some wing nuts.  Because of the fragility of the original locks I also rigged together a similar device for the azimuth.  I may think about a prettier fix, but for now they work.

attachicon.gif20200625_115116.jpg  attachicon.gif20200625_115226.jpg

Had the scope under the stars last night for the first time. I need to fiddle with the objective cell - when it's threaded tight against the tube the collimation is noticeably off, but if I unscrew the cell less than a turn then the collimation appears dead on...at least at 116X.  With that magnification Porrima (gamma Vir) was cleanly split and Xi Ursa Major was nearly so, just a smidge of contact between the Airy disks.  

Pete,  how far to you back off the cell?  1/4 turn?  1/2 turn? 

Maybe if you can rotate the lens the opposite way in the cell and then retighten it, you might get the collimation right on.

• Pete W likes this

#5456 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:16 PM

Robert,

I just remembered that you have that 6" Brandt, so do you really need a Jaegers? 

I'd think for practical reasons one long 6" refractor is enough.

But I guess it's one of those 'things' from your youth.

• tim53 likes this

#5457 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:49 PM

If either of you is dying for a 6" f/15 Jaegers, PM me about this one, because I am ashamed to admit that I haven't used it since I took it up to Mt Pinos several years ago.  I never even finished it!  Clint Whitman helped me fine tune the collimation at Mt Pinos that summer (11 years ago!), so it likely would do better on Jupiter than it did at the end of this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...g-this-weekend/

I need to scare up a pic from that trip...  ...ah, here's one.  I had two mounting setups for the 6" f/5 Jaegers you see here, plus a C8.  But I took the C8 off before the pic as it was just a bit too wobbly on the NJP mount.  

post-6788-14074202867378_thumb.jpg

• photiost, CCD-Freak, astro140 and 8 others like this

#5458 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:33 PM

Robert,

I just remembered that you have that 6" Brandt, so do you really need a Jaegers? 

I'd think for practical reasons one long 6" refractor is enough.

But I guess it's one of those 'things' from your youth.

My Brandt is f/13.3 and wonderful but I would like to experience the full blown f/15

I did own a D&G 6 inch f/12 and it sure was nice too.

Robert

post-50896-14073114914215_thumb.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 25 June 2020 - 08:58 PM.

• CCD-Freak, steve t, walter a and 2 others like this

#5459 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:23 PM

My Brandt is f/13.3 and wonderful but I would like to experience the full blown f/15

From your other posts I knew the Brandt is a f/13.3 which is only 10.2" short but I had a feeling you were going to say that.

Now that D&G is just too darn short. grin.gif

• tim53 and clamchip like this

#5460 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:38 PM

I wish I still owned the D&G, and the Optic-Craft model 1 mount it came with.

The scope was made April 1996, wow a long time ago!

Robert

#5461 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:32 AM

I did own a D&G 6 inch f/12 and it sure was nice too.

Robert

attachicon.gifpost-50896-14073114914215_thumb.jpg

That beauty would look great sitting up on a Byers mount and a nice tall pier. (^8

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

• clamchip likes this

#5462 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:58 AM

I've got this tube, I've been thinking about it all day.

I'm pretty sure its for a Jaegers 6 inch f/15 lens.

So I'm trying to decide, find a lens and build a Jaegers 6 inch f/15, or cut it

down and make a new tube for my Edmund 5 inch f/15

Once it has been shortened there's no turning back.

I feel like I should build a Jaegers 6 inch f/15, the grand daddy of classic 

amateur refractors, with it's 90 inch focal length.

I've got the tube, focuser, and most importantly a mount to handle it.

Robert 

attachicon.gifpost-50896-0-08773000-1539816052_thumb.jpg

Go for the big Jaegers 6" F15!

• clamchip and Kasmos like this

#5463 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:24 AM

Go for the big Jaegers 6" F15!

Yes I've decided the grand daddy of amateur scopes it will be.

I wanted a Jaegers 6 inch f/15 so bad back in the 70's.

When I bought my Edmund 4 inch f/15 back then there was one on the wall above it for sale

but no mounting. It was gigantic and dwarfed the Edmund.

I really had my heart set on the Edmund anyway.

Now though, this tube falls in my lap.

Craig's list ad, belonged to his brother.

It could only be for a Jaegers 6 inch f/15.

It was never built, and nothing else remained only the tube.

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 26 June 2020 - 10:26 AM.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, TSSClay and 3 others like this

#5464 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:28 AM

And I bet it would work great on your big daddy Edmund Extra-Heavy-Duty GEM!

• clamchip likes this

#5465 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:00 AM

At the opposite end from a Jaegers 6" F15:  I got all my Small Scopes on SVBONY dovetails yesterday. 

Those with cradles got the 70mm bars, those without got the 200mm bars (for balancing):

- Monolux (Towa) 4348 / 50mm F12 [70mm]

- Takahashi FC-50 / 50mm F8 [70mm]

- Celestron C90 (Black Tube Spotter) [200mm]

- Hutson Chromatar MCT Spotter / 60mm F9 [200mm]

- Lafayette (SYW) / 60mm F7 [100mm Vixen]

I made sure that I could attach each securely to the KDS II and Orion VersaGo.  I was most concerned about the tail-heavy C90 on the KDS in EQ mode, but found the sweet-spot for balance.  The C90 has that tripod block on it.  Adding a bolt head to the SVBONY keeps it from turning on the dovetail.

All the optics were checked & cleaned.  All the exteriors got a wipe-down.  All are back in their cases, waiting for a clear(ish) night, except the 4348.  I expect the waxing crescent Moon will be the target if these clouds ever clear out.

• Esso2112 likes this

#5466 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:52 AM

Might be putting away a covered up  classic at the ready in the garage as I watch and read about dust cloud cometh

So not sure what to say about the crazy super dust cloud Sahara born heading here  or is it just a southern western issue

So far no trouble here in southern NewEngland     how about where yawl are?

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 26 June 2020 - 11:58 AM.

#5467 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:58 AM

Might be putting away a covered up the classic at the ready in the garage as I watch and read about dust cloud cometh

So not sure what to say about the crazy super dust cloud Sahara born heading here  or is it just a southern western issue

Our Swamp Air (solid cloud decks starting at 350 ft) LAUGH at Sahara Dust.  We can't see the impact at all...

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#5468 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:50 PM

When I bought my Edmund 4 inch f/15 back then there was one on the wall above it for sale

Robert

I also lusted for the 6" but could only afford to build the 4".

Anyway, I'm glad you decided to go for it.

Then when you have one of those weird out of your mind episodes, you can sell it to me. grin.gif

Please, just don't slip bringing it downdstairs.

• clamchip likes this

#5469 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:01 PM

Might be putting away a covered up  classic at the ready in the garage as I watch and read about dust cloud cometh

We are supposed to be right under it, but last night it was very clear. I could see down 5th mag around 11:00 PM.

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5470 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:07 PM

Some Sahara dust came this way, I think. My car was covered with some orange dust this morning.
  • Defenderslideguitar likes this

#5471 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:01 PM

Robert

I remember the shop where I bought my Edmund, it was called 'The Pleiades Group' being

run from a garage like most astroshops were back then around here.

Robert

#5472 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:25 PM

I finally got around to installing the used ADM TGAD that I recently bought, so I can finally align the tandem scopes in the observatory. The tandem setup is Losmandy, and the ADM is normally incompatible with it. But the prior owner had Anthony re-drill the mounting plate for the TGAD to fit a Takahashi mount, and the Losmandy tandem bar happens to have a set of Takahashi holes in it. Leave it to the Japanese to make common ground between competing machinists on opposite sides of the US. 

Of course, that necessitated re-balancing the whole setup. But it wasn't as bad as I feared. The TGAD was only about 3 lbs more than the Losmandy saddle, and I had also picked up a carbon fiber dew shield for the C14 that I had yet to use, which more or less matched the weight. So it just took a little sliding of the refractor to compensate for the nose-heavy aspect, and adding another 7 lb counterweight. 

Also, last week I met Barry to get the 7TE-5 parts scope from Dionigi's estate. After letting it sit for a comfortable quarantine period, I opened it up. The tripod went to a Towa 305 mount that I recently found, which will put the 80mm Jaegers back into service in the loaner set. The 305 came with a drive, and once I had it mounted and plugged in, it did a nice job of turning the RA axis. I just need to make a saddle to hold the rings on the Jaegers. 

I'll be using one of the collimation screws from the 7TE-5 cell to repair the 7TE-2, and the top section of the cradle will transfer over to replace the one with the broken ring. These are the first 7TE's I've worked with, and I was surprised by the greater weight of the 7TE-5 OTA. The only difference I see is that the 5, being 1000mm instead of 910mm, has the two stage focuser with the long draw tube. But that hardly seems like enough to add that much weight.

Chip W. 

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and Garyth64 like this

#5473 Esso2112

Esso2112

Apollo

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:01 PM

The paint on my Nippon Kogaku 50mm was dull and yellowed and had a few scratches. I did not want to repaint it, but the scope just looked grimy. I had tried various cleaning methods, but nothing really helped. So, this morning I tried some Mequiers Ultimate compound. A little bit of rubbing by hand, then polishing with a soft cloth and wow. The paint is now nice and shiny and you have to look for the little scratches. It really looks almost as good as new. I’ll try to take some photos if the sun comes out through all this Saharan dust mucking up my sky. 

• Bomber Bob, Kasmos and Van Do9:3 like this

#5474 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:14 PM

Probably too many jump right to repainting when if they had used a good polish (not wax), and did some touch ups, they would be more then happy. It will take out many of the scratches that aren't thru the paint and minimize some that are. The trouble with re-spraying, most of us don't have the equipment to do it right. That said, I'm not totally against doing it, and some here have done a great job, but paint from spray cans will chip easier and won't color sand/polish as well as pro automotive paints or the original finish.

I wondered if I could salvage the paint on my badly scraped and chipped Mizar, but had nothing to lose by trying.

Tube-Scratches.jpg

Mizar-Tube-54.jpg

If you care to see the whole restoration:

https://www.cloudyni...681000mm/page-2

• CharlieB, astro140, clamchip and 7 others like this

#5475 Alanvogt

Alanvogt

Lift Off

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:02 AM

The tale of my Meade 395 now frankenscope:

About 3 years ago I was searching for a larger cheap refractor. Imaging my thrill on seeing a Meade LX70 AR5 combo on craigslist for $125. There was even a picture of it. I jumped in my car and drove an hour to his house only to find a 90mm Meade 395. It was out of adjustment, wobbly and not impressive.  The owner said "well I thought it was a 5 inch scope"  I was so disgusted, why didn't he include a photo of the actual telescope he had? As I started to leave I said " I wouldn't give you any more than $40 for that."  "OK"  the guy said.  So I went home with a $40 scope not thinking much about it.  At home I started cleaning it up and adjusting and tightening the mount. " This isn't as bad as I thought".  That night I looked at the moon, Jupiter and Saturn with it and was blown away!  This is a great little scope!  So a month later on "Astronomy Day" I was showing the sky to the general public with it. As soon as Saturn became visible I lined it up focused and yelled "I've got Saturn!!"  I looked up and there were 45 people standing in line to see.  Well of course between every 2 people I had to jump in and realign on Saturn thinking I need a clock drive.  The search took awhile as Meade didn't produce many drives for this model. Finally got one and then discovered it wasn't powerful enough unless the mount was loose. Back to wobbly.  By now I was getting other scopes and the 395 went on the back burner.   

Meade 395 new.jpg

Well a couple of weeks ago I noticed a Unitron 60mm mount for sale by Stan, and I got to thinking,

Unitron 60 mount new.jpg

Maybe a frankenscope!  Received the mount a couple days ago and today made the adapter, got some longer leg bolts, cleaned up the mount and presto!!

Frank4.JPG

Frank1 new.JPG

Now the question:  Have I sinned by putting a Meade OTA and legs on a Unitron mount? Let me know.

Edited by Alanvogt, 01 July 2020 - 01:05 AM.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and Esso2112 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics