•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
5630 replies to this topic

#5626 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:57 PM

I straightened a bent finder adjuster thumb screw on my Tasco 60mm.

I like to chuck the threads in soft metal lined vise jaws and carefully hammer

with a plastic hammer.

Sometimes these will snap spoiling a perfectly good day, especially the older

chrome plated brass screws. Test with a magnet so you will have a idea on

how much you can get away with.

You just got to say a little prayer and take your chances.

Robert

IMG_0118.jpg

• mattyfatz, steve t, Marc-Andre and 3 others like this

#5627 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:36 PM

I've been working on an Astro Optical 76mm F15 Objective for another CNer.  We post often about the consistent quality of these AO refractors, but this one is the exception...  DPAC shows a large zone on the flint (R3 face) -- worst I've seen yet for any lens.  Apparently, part of the solution was to use one foil spacer slightly larger & thicker than the other two, because in my testing, that does greatly improve the test results.  It also appears that the lens maker put some correction into the R2 face of the crown element -- there's one particular alignment of crown & flint that shows in the pattern -- and that's very close to the original AO pencil slash across the edges.

(I got a new smart-phone, so I'll try to get some DPAC pix with it that I can share.)

Edited by Bomber Bob, 20 September 2020 - 12:38 PM.

• steve t and Mbinoc like this

#5628 SamTheMan

SamTheMan

Sputnik

• ****-
  • Loc: Home: Auburn, WA 98002

Posted 20 September 2020 - 02:59 PM

here's the completed focuser replacement upgrade....an Orion focuser and a 3" PVC coupling I modified by hand...no lathe!

btw, the 1/4" long screws are the correct ones to buy.  In fact, I had to file down one of the screws because it interfered with the long chrome draw tube.

Sam

Attached Thumbnails

• Orion focuser 1.jpg
  • Orion focuser 2.jpg

• Mbinoc likes this

#5629 doolsduck

doolsduck

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Yuggera Country Australia (Brisbane)

Posted Yesterday, 12:39 AM

Clamchip's post just up there ^ on straightening a finderscope screw reminded me I had one to do on my 60mm Vixen refractor.  Thanks for the heads up that the brass ones are prone to breaking, so I checked mine before starting.  It is a chromed brass screw.  Brass is prone to breaking if it is hardened, either by work hardening or heat treating.  I have occasionally needed to anneal brass, so I just refreshed my memory online before diving in.  Brass is annealed by heating and quenching in water and an indicator it is hot enough is to mark it with permanent maker (sharpie) and quench it when the mark disappears.  I used a propane torch. This all done, I placed it in a vice and straightened it.  Now the lock nut can travel the full thread.  Reharden by repeating the heating but allowing to cool slowly.  Happy days

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4695.jpg
  • IMG_4721.jpg

• tim53, clamchip, steve t and 4 others like this

#5630 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted Yesterday, 09:37 PM

Tonight I made a dovetail mount out of wood to attach to a 80mm clamp. I cut enough wood to also make one for  a 114mm, a 70mm  and 60mm head shell.

I kept the design simple, and when finished I  pained it black so it would match. This way I can just quickly swap multiple scopes tube diameters on to one tripod. that I have.

1.JPG

2.JPG

• clamchip, Bomber Bob and doolsduck like this

#5631 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Apollo

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted Yesterday, 09:44 PM

I walked by it, looked up to find out the vicious smoke that has covered most of the Left Coast has been replaced by high cirrus clouds. Sigh!

Maybe tomorrow night! I hear it quietly asking for a renewed friendship.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics