•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
5767 replies to this topic

#5751 PawPaw

PawPaw

Messenger

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:06 AM

Those setting circles are beautiful and the RA slow motion/drive system looks sweet. But I agree with Kasmos that I've only seen them on a pedestal. The tripod arrangement doesn't really look like Jaegers style.

Chip W. 

Thanks......The circles were one of the reasons I wanted this one.  

After assembling and inspecting the mount I have to agree on the tripod, even without the catalog I can see it was adapted.  Whoever did it took their time and did a very nice job.  The tripod tray has a very interesting leather strap on it for carrying.  The motor still works and is much quieter than the cramer motors on my Edmund drives. It has a date stamp of 7/71 and I like the copper color.  All in all I find the Jaegers mount very well finished in relation to Edmunds castings.

Don

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201121_155424a.jpg
  • 20201121_155454a.jpg
  • 20201121_155336a.jpg

• Pete W, steve t, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#5752 Pete W

Pete W

Messenger

• Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:14 AM

Here's the finished Shrine box.  Luckily, all the original wood inserts were reusable, but most had to be soaked in bleach to remove the black mold.

20201122_100247.jpg   20201122_100425.jpg

20201122_100224.jpg

Found a cool wood box with a  sliding lid to hold onto the leg bolts.   And thanks to Chuck for providing restored legs!  

• astro140, steve t, icomet and 8 others like this

#5753 PawPaw

PawPaw

Messenger

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:18 AM

Pete...that looks fantastic!

What type of wood is the veneer?

• Pete W likes this

#5754 Pete W

Pete W

Messenger

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:34 AM

Thanks!  It came out better than I expected.  I really should have stripped the old finish off the rest of the box and re-stained everything so it would look more consistent, but this was my first attempt at something like this...wanted to keep it simple. 

Here's the original bottom - the black rectangle was below the eyepiece box - it is black with mold (why did I keep this?).  

20201122_103100.jpg

The entire bottom looked like this before bleaching it. Just too much damage to keep.

The replacement bottom is lauan (luan) 1/4" plywood from Lowes.    I was unable to find a 2 x 4' sheet with the grain oriented long-ways, but it does come that way.  

• steve t, mdowns, PawPaw and 2 others like this

#5755 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:52 PM

Very nice work!

So far I've noticed at least three slightly different interiors. Some have a stepped upper brace for the finder like yours, while some are straight. Also, the peg to hold the visual back is sometimes on the other side of the lower brace.

This is an odd one as it has a sliding lid on the accessory box with no signs of it ever having braces in the lid.

Old Manon boxed.jpg

Also note the mount's painted end caps and the focuser's gray rack tube extention. I believe this makes it a HOC model.

• Pete W, steve t, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#5756 Pete W

Pete W

Messenger

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:05 PM

Thanks Chris.   Perhaps its time to revisit scopes in boxes...I love this thread!

https://www.cloudyni...amweaver-keith/

• PawPaw likes this

#5757 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:15 PM

Mogey 3 with Vixen Dovetail on Meade StarFinder Tall Pedestal:

Mogey 3 - Vixen Dovetail Mod (Meade SF Tall EQ) S01.jpg

Mogey 3 - Vixen Dovetail Mod (Meade SF Tall EQ) S02.jpg Mogey 3 - Vixen Dovetail Mod (Meade SF Tall EQ) S03.jpg

My Dakin 4 came with a custom "dovetail" bar that bolted to the plate carrying the wood hinged rings...  Since I tend to keep everything, I used that rectangular aluminum bar to adapt the Mogey's 2 mount bolts to an SVBONY 8cm Vixen-style dovetail.  With 2 of Sheldon's bases attached to the tall pedestal Meade StarFinder EQ, the Mogey can ride high & stable, and track at high power.  Wish I'd thought of this sooner!  Anywho, gonna nab Mars & the Moon tonight in this antique 3" F14 refractor -- fingers crossed.

***  I'll have to be extra-careful using that accessory tray -- all the antique eyepieces are smaller than 1.25" and can fall through!  The Triple Alliance #15 is on the left end, and the excellent Carl Zeiss Jena WF anchors the right end of the line.  I have no idea which company made the others...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 23 November 2020 - 04:17 PM.

• CCD-Freak, Pete W, clamchip and 8 others like this

#5758 PawPaw

PawPaw

Messenger

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:55 PM

I cleaned up my new to me Jaegers heavy duty mount and  attached it to a Edmund tripod hub sporting genuine Edmund maple legs.  I have seen several references in the past to Jaegertron equipment so I think it is only fitting to call this one a Edgertron.  I try to work from the ground up so the reason for the name.  The aluminum castings on this mount are nicely done but painted black by someone....new paint slated for the future.  I have a jaegers clock drive soon to be in the mail so looking forward to a viewing session soon.  Will likely start by mounting my circa 58 Edmund 4 inch refractor....I think it will be right at home.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201123_165716a.jpg
  • 20201123_165758a.jpg

• Pete W, clamchip, steve t and 7 others like this

#5759 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:07 PM

I love these old Edmund and Jaegers mounts! I’ve rebuilt an Edmund medium-duty (5/8” shafts) GEM on a 3’ pedestal and a Jaegers heavy-duty (1” shafts) GEM on a tall surveyor’s tripod and I use them all the time. They are wonderfully smooth, stable mounts. I really love their simplicity.

• clamchip, steve t and PawPaw like this

#5760 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:22 PM

The Edmund maple legs can have fabulous grain and it looks like you have a set there yours

have just beautiful grain.

I keep forgetting about a possible good source for maple like that the black powder rifle swap

meets. Fancy maple is used for the long rifle stocks. Highly prized though so we might have

to spend on the heavy side.

Robert

• steve t and PawPaw like this

#5761 PawPaw

PawPaw

Messenger

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:56 PM

I always wanted to try a set of Walnut legs and or Osage orange.  I have seen walnut used in the wooden scope cabinets but never legs.  I think they would be great performers as tripod legs.   The Osage orange  I  am lucky to have on our property and plan to make a pair in the future.  Also known as Bois D Arc the wood is very dense and hard to work but takes on a very beautiful orange/yellowish finish.  I think they would make excellent tripod legs.  

Don

Edited by PawPaw, 23 November 2020 - 07:58 PM.

• clamchip, steve t and walter a like this

#5762 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:16 PM

I re-mounted the C14 onto the TGAD to get better alignment with the 6"f9 refractor on the side-by-side mount. The TGAD allows adjustment in two axes to get alignment. Previously, it had also given too much flexure. Alignment in one part of the sky was way off in another. So I set out to tighten everything down to reduce flexure. That ended up involving a wrench applied to and roughing up the knobs, since ADM doesn't provide integral hex key slots, like Astro-Physics does. 

Got it aligned on Mars, and thought it was pretty tight. But slewing to Capella, it was still flexing to the edge of the field. Adjusted and tightened some more, and then went to Rigel. Not even in the field in that orientation. So adjusted and tightened even more, until nothing would move. Not perfect, but going back around the sky, it was staying within the inner 50% of the field of a 41mm Panoptic, for whatever was centered in the refractor. So that's got it down to about a 10' variation. 

It does seem to vibrate a bit more than the fixed saddle. But it's very nice to be able to go back and forth between the scopes without having to move the mount, or move just a bit to have the objects equally off center. It also makes the 6" more effective as a finder for the 14". 

Chip W. 

• steve t likes this

#5763 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 24 November 2020 - 06:02 PM

My new 90mm f/17 scope was used only for astronomy and pretty much unusable for

daytime terrestrial because of reflection from the telescope tube interior ruining contrast.

Even though the inside was painted it wasn't enough.

This time I used sheet foam to line the inside of the tube, normally I use flock paper but

they were out.

The most important feature is a center baffle. Most of our f/15 refractors will have a 

center baffle and placing it in the right place is important.

You can usually push the baffle to a position where you can see the objective cell and

not the interior of the tube.

Here's my  new baffle and a view of the sky thru the focuser.

Robert 

IMG_9087.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

• steve t, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#5764 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:52 PM

I found out a way to make 1.25" adapter for nippon kogaku diagonal replacement, using a diagonal. The part is snug fit. simply unscrew and put it in.

NK 65 adapter setup 1

NK 65 adapter setup 2

NK 65 adapter setup 3

The way it is, it creates a double lock wiith both clamp from the focuser tube as well as the screw form the eyepiece adapter. The result doesn't take a lof of space, and non intrusive to the design. Tried it with 32mm-2.5mm eyepiece and it works.

NK 65 adapter setup 4

• CharlieB, astro140, steve t and 1 other like this

#5765 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:48 AM

A Celestron barlow body works good too.

Just unscrew the chrome bit and slide it in.

Robert

post-50896-0-20419600-1519608684_thumb.jpg

post-50896-0-97157400-1519515496_thumb.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 25 November 2020 - 10:52 AM.

• steve t, Bomber Bob, Augustus and 2 others like this

#5766 doolsduck

doolsduck

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Yuggera Country Australia (Brisbane)

Posted 26 November 2020 - 02:09 AM

I bought a piece of Al plate and made a multi use platform today.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 4B110C80-8CCF-4D42-8239-C809584946CB.jpeg
  • 772BEED9-E489-49C3-BCB6-F0985B31E385.jpeg

• CharlieB, steve t, Marc-Andre and 2 others like this

#5767 icomet

icomet

Ranger 4

• Loc: Montana

Posted Today, 02:14 PM

"Binovieweritis" has struck again.

My dobs are binoviewer capable, so I decided to do the Newt's also.

Right now, it's the "6" anti-refractor"

Lots of moving stuff around, rebalancing (rotating rings on this puppy), etc.

Clear Skies.

#5768 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted Today, 04:20 PM

I did not do anything per say to a scope, but did fix up this little area for winter observing.

The lock to this 2nd story deck broke about two years ago, and I have not used this deck since that time. One of the reasons for this, was there were a few soft spots, and I did not want to fall through.

Last weekend I fixed the lock, and then reinforced the soft spots underneath. Then just to be safe I layed a piece of plywood on top and covered it with a rubber mat. (This is just a temporary fix so it can be used over the winter, next spring I will need to rebuild it.) Its not pretty, but should get me though the winter. What will be nice is I could run through the door to warm up.

1.JPG

I now have the deck set up for winter telescope use. I also ran a new cable and moved the WiFi router closer to the area so my laptop will connect when out on the deck.

This should make winter telescope use much more convenient, as I will no longer have to drag the scopes through the yard to setup. I also plan to run a electrical outlet for power, (This should be easy, as there is a existing outlet on the other side of the wall).

Edited by Mbinoc, Today, 04:30 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics