•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
5902 replies to this topic

#5876 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 04:08 PM

It's not easy to regrease a cat. But after it's done, the ears do swivel better. wink.gif

Chip W. 

• Spyke, CCD-Freak, Marc-Andre and 3 others like this

#5877 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:18 PM

Star-Liner paint is drying upstairs in Hobbyland, and someone's not happy about the fumes !

Robert

post-50896-0-51713200-1508196067_thumb.jpg

• steve t, Bomber Bob and Joe1950 like this

#5878 Joe1950

Joe1950

Voyager 1

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:30 PM

Robert, when I ran across this ad on eBay

https://www.ebay.com...4.m46890.l49292

where the gent showing the telescope had a little helper, I immediately thought of you! laugh.gif

• Spyke, clamchip, steve t and 1 other like this

#5879 blakestree

blakestree

Vostok 1

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:10 PM

G1vDTSf.jpg

• Spyke, Bomber Bob, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#5880 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:46 PM

Cleaned everything and assembled the mount, with a little help from a friend.

Of course, the head is gonna have to be broken down and regreased. Objective in the OTA must be cleaned and the focuser also regreased.

What's your serial # and where did you find it? I ask since I wondered if it was already in the registry, plus I have one that is missing the tripod and don't know if it originally came with square legs or round ones like some do.

#5881 blakestree

blakestree

Vostok 1

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:56 PM

What's your serial # and where did you find it? I ask since I wondered if it was already in the registry, plus I have one that is missing the tripod and don't know if it originally came with square legs or round ones like some do.

I bought it from Mullethead, who got it from an auction in PA. It is already on the registry, #60423. 

Edited by blakestree, 19 February 2021 - 01:58 PM.

• Kasmos and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5882 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:07 PM

I bought it from Mullethead, who got it from an auction in PA. It is already on the registry, #60423. 

I keep a photo file of the brands and models I like or own and saw that one in the beginners forum. The way he had it set up I wasn't sure if he had the visual back. Looks nice and all complete! Keep them coming. Thanks.

Edit: It could be in the best condition of any I've seen!

Edited by Kasmos, 19 February 2021 - 02:13 PM.

#5883 blakestree

blakestree

Vostok 1

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:26 PM

I keep a photo file of the brands and models I like or own and saw that one in the beginners forum. The way he had it set up I wasn't sure if he had the visual back. Looks nice! Keep them coming. Thanks.

I can see where he likely became frustrated with it, being his first telescope, as the mount and focuser are way too stiff to use, at the moment. I imagine these old beauties have a bit of a learning curve, as well. I was, also, worried the visual back might be lost. However, the only things that are missing are the sticker on the inside of the lid (What does that say, btw?) and one of the little tray washers. The porro has a chip off the edge, which sucks. But, who uses the porros, anyway? 6mm HM gives ridiculously high power for this aperture and mount, and I can't see why it was included in these kits. Also, it has the tiniest eye lens I think I've ever seen in my life... lol.gif

Edited by blakestree, 19 February 2021 - 02:29 PM.

#5884 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:47 PM

I can see where he likely became frustrated with it, being his first telescope, as the mount and focuser are way too stiff to use, at the moment. I imagine these old beauties have a bit of a learning curve, as well. I was, also, worried the visual back might be lost. However, the only things that are missing are the sticker on the inside of the lid (What does that say, btw?) and one of the little tray washers. The porro has a chip off the edge, which sucks. But, who uses the porros, anyway? 6mm HM gives ridiculously high power for this aperture, and I can't why it was included in these kits. Also, it has the tiniest eye lens I think I've ever seen in my life... lol.gif

It's probably for the best that it ended up with a experienced user since a beginner may not appreciate and or end up using and treating it well.

Because of floaters, a 6mm or 7mm is as small as I like to use on any telescope, but that 6mm's eye lens is ridiculous and several others have made comments about them. IIRC, mine was taken apart and jammed inside the bezel. I had to figure out how it goes back together (with it's spacers) and use the collar and barrel from the incomplete 20mm.

I don't recall seeing a sticker inside the lid on any of them. I'm sure the residue you see is where a small piece of foam padding was that protected the finder.

Edited by Kasmos, 19 February 2021 - 02:57 PM.

• blakestree likes this

#5885 blakestree

blakestree

Vostok 1

Posted 19 February 2021 - 03:00 PM

I don't recall seeing a sticker inside the lid on any of them. I'm sure the residue you see is where a small piece of foam padding was that protected the finder.

OH, I bet you're right! I thought I had seen a sticker there, in other people's cases. Cheers!

edit:

BTW, dunno if you noticed, but I even have the Japanese inspection tag and sun filter.

Edited by blakestree, 19 February 2021 - 03:11 PM.

• Kasmos likes this

#5886 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:17 AM

Pulled a sheared off ep barrel from a Tasco 5T focuser, pulled the 50mm to 25mm stop from behind the singlet. Decided not to bin it - I'll find a doublet for it and some sort of better focuser or shim this one. I like the little mount. grabbed an old Meade 40mm ep and viewed the moon. The little bitty finder image seemed better than the actual objective image. 3 for 3 on these - but I did upgrade the objectives on the 1st 2...

Opened the 114x900mm Intras reflector box. No mount, hub, legs - just the OTA, clamshell & axis shaft and I believe all the accessories. Grabbed a spare mount (probably identical to the original), transferred the ota, found all four screws on the secondary almost removed, all six primary coll screws halfway out, spider nuts on just 2~3 threads. looked thru focuser and saw nada. Will collimate tomorrow...

!! 5T Update !!  CN CodeName: MASILMW (He's so great to have around!) had an air spaced 50mm f/12 doublet, so the 5T will not be sad in a few days. The 5T cell should be deep enough for the new glass and from (Focal Ratio / DObj in inches) we get ((600/50) / (~50 / 25.4)) = (12 / ~2) = ~6 which is a good CA ratio. Last night the apparent CA seemed between the Apogee 6" f/8 @ 1.33 and the unstopped Tasco 999VR @ ~2, so this will be a rather stunning improvement. I was tempted to leave this one grotty, but that's cruel and the other two got cemented doublets - this'll be air spaced - 'new version' and all that. Hmm, now I need a Vivi 50x600 or two for comparison. 

Edited by AstroKerr, 20 February 2021 - 10:41 AM.

• steve t, PawPaw and Bomber Bob like this

#5887 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:38 AM

I can see where he likely became frustrated with it, being his first telescope, as the mount and focuser are way too stiff to use, at the moment. I imagine these old beauties have a bit of a learning curve, as well. I was, also, worried the visual back might be lost. However, the only things that are missing are the sticker on the inside of the lid (What does that say, btw?) and one of the little tray washers. The porro has a chip off the edge, which sucks. But, who uses the porros, anyway? 6mm HM gives ridiculously high power for this aperture and mount, and I can't see why it was included in these kits. Also, it has the tiniest eye lens I think I've ever seen in my life... lol.gif

i have a 0.965” 6mm H.M. R.A.O. eyepiece that is just wonderful in my 60mm x 700mm Mayflower. It produces great images of Jupiter and Saturn.

• steve t and blakestree like this

#5888 blakestree

blakestree

Vostok 1

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:44 AM

i have a 0.965” 6mm H.M. R.A.O. eyepiece that is just wonderful in my 60mm x 700mm Mayflower. It produces great images of Jupiter and Saturn.

I've been waiting for the right time to ask, but I'm curious why you gave up your 839? Maybe best for PM?

Edited by blakestree, 20 February 2021 - 10:45 AM.

#5889 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:02 AM

I've been waiting for the right time to ask, but I'm curious why you gave up your 839? Maybe best for PM?

No, I’m happy to answer your question here. It was a wonderful little scope but it spent the last two years in its box. I just wasn’t using it after I got my 60mm Tak. I’ve had my Mayflower (APL) for over fifty-five years and I could never get rid of it; it’s got the best 60mm achromatic lens I’ve ever looked through, thousands of family memories, and I still use it regularly. And my Unitron model 114 is my oldest scope (65 years), is totally complete, and I use it for H-alpha solar work. I quit displaying scopes for the sake of display and wanted to de-cluttered my house, and most importantly, I stopped collecting and have been downsizing the number of scopes I had. I couldn’t justify keeping the Swift, as lovely and complete as it was. I was happy that it went to someone here that wanted to complete their brown Swift trio. I have no regrets for letting it go. I’ve  decided that I don’t want anything I don’t use.

• steve t, Bomber Bob and Garyth64 like this

#5890 blakestree

blakestree

Vostok 1

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:11 AM

I quit displaying scopes for the sake of display and wanted to de-cluttered my house, and most importantly, I stopped collecting and have been downsizing the number of scopes I had.

Sad, I've often admired your collection. wink.gif

edit:

Oh, and I just suggested PM might be more appropriate because we done got way off topic. lol.gif

Edited by blakestree, 20 February 2021 - 11:14 AM.

#5891 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:31 AM

Sad, I've often admired your collection. wink.gif

edit:

Oh, and I just suggested PM might be more appropriate because we done got way off topic. lol.gif

Thank you, but there is no sadness here. Up until my retirement in the summer of 2012, I never collected. I acquired and sold scopes over the years but never had more than eight at one time, always keeping what I enjoyed using. I never have been much of a consistent collector in anything, that’s my brother. He has many collections and hobbies, including telescopes. Anyway, I got into collecting quite by happenstance after retiring. I got more interested in double stars when I retired and acquired a Monolux 4380 (60mm x 1000mm) that Summer and then a Sears 6344 (76mm x 1200mm) that Fall, mostly for double star observation, (and also Solar viewing of which I always enjoyed and the longer focal lengths were great with the DayStar H-alpha T-scanner I had at the time). Well both of those scopes required a little work and that led me to this forum. One thing soon led to another and I was smitten with the Classic collecting and restoring bug. Especially Unitrons which became my passion (I always loved looking at them in the ads and I set out to get as many as I could). Like all fevers, it ran its course and I have sense, happily made a full recovery. I am happy to get back to my roots of just observing and tinkering. In the process, I steadily kept trading up and whittling down, and now I have a dozen scopes that I really love, (and use). And I no longer have scopes squirreled away under beds and in every corner.

• Spyke, blakestree, AllanDystrup and 3 others like this

#5892 blakestree

blakestree

Vostok 1

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:13 PM

Thank you, but there is no sadness here.

Hahaha, yeah, I meant me being sad. Seriously, though, I have great respect for those pursing the preservation of these classic instruments, be it through collecting (12 is still nothing to scoff at, ya know?) or catch and restore and release.

About the 6mm HM, I was kinda surprised by you describing it as a good planetary eyepiece. Dunno, my skies are fairly poor and I have to be careful with exit pupils under 1mm, as they remind me I need to see the eye doctor... However, I can see where it might be good for doubles, with a better mount than supplied in this kit.

• Terra Nova likes this

#5893 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:18 PM

Hahaha, yeah, I meant me being sad. Seriously, though, I have great respect for those pursing the preservation of these classic instruments, be it through collecting (12 is still nothing to scoff at, ya know?) or catch and restore and release.

About the 6mm HM, I was kinda surprised by you describing it as a good planetary eyepiece. Dunno, my skies are fairly poor and I have to be careful with exit pupils under 1mm, as they remind me I need to see the eye doctor... However, I can see where it might be good for doubles, with a better mount than supplied in this kit.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I prefer a 1.25” 6mm circle T Ortho for the wider field and a tiny bit better eye relief, but the point I am making is that these simple two-element eyepieces aren’t junk by any means if they are well made. If my R.A.O. 0.965” 6mm H.M. Is directly compared to either my 0.965” Unitron 6mm Ortho, or my 0.965” Vixen 6mm ortho, there is not all that much difference in a good 60mm refractor.

• steve t, blakestree, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#5894 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:57 PM

The Lone (Sticker) Survivor...

C80P Restore S23 - Decals Re-Applied (LS ZOOM).jpg

Clear blue skies & 76* F right now, so I thought:  I'll make a pretty picture of the C80 with its stickers...  It's been in the shed since the last session, and when I lifted off the tarp, the 2 big stickers fluttered to the floor like large rectangles of dry dead skin -- Vixen Parchment...  Oh. Well.  The "Celestron" sticker is hanging on -- for now.

Reminds me a lot of that Bushnell Banner 1000 that I had decades ago:

Bushnell80mmRefractor-2.jpg

But the Vixen has the better lens.

• photiost, CCD-Freak, steve t and 5 others like this

#5895 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:26 PM

This is more about what I need to do than what I have done. My Sears model 2535 76.2mm f/16 telescope, a Christmas 1966 present from my parents, has reached the ripe and young age of 55. This telescope has an interesting story because I sold it in 1976 and it remained out of my hands for 20 years before it landed back in my hands in 1996. During his first 10-12 years with the telescope the intermediate owner used it a lot but the telescope suffered a couple of mishaps. Then he stored the telescope for about 8-9 years. When I got the telescope back it was showing the scars of battles and the effect of long term storage. The mount and finder where the most affected areas. In the early 2000s I repainted some of the parts, the tripod legs were refinished hardware and all. I even used brass wood screws for the tripod leg clamps. The mount was disassembled, cleaned and lubricated. All its parts were repainted except one, the optical tube clamp. According to the intermediate owner, at some point the mount suffered a fall and it landed on a concrete driveway. The clamp base was cracked on its side. He took it to someone who "repaired it". I'll be fair, the repair has worked all these years but is the ugliest thing that I have seen. The other thing that took a fall during that time was the finder. It has a rather large clam. When I took that telescope back in 1996 I was so happy that those two defects didn't bother me at all. Now I would really like to resolve both issues. The finder objective lenses may be the easier to find but the lower section telescope clamp is another story.

I could finally repaint the optical tube clamp and live with it or find someone in the forum with a spare clamp or maybe even a spare parts mount. There is no way to make that clamp repair beautiful. So, in all fairness I am asking for help in getting a good optical tube clamp . I know this is a shot in the dark but the 55 years old telescope is worth it.

Here are images of the clamp "repaired" area and finder objective. This is the first time I ever photograph that part of the 2535. My Sears 60mm F/11, now 56 years old has always been on my watch and is almost mint. Unfortunately the 76mm was out of my watch for 20 years. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Sears2535clamp.JPG
  • Sears2535finder.JPG

• steve t likes this

#5896 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:03 PM

This is more about what I need to do than what I have done. My Sears model 2535 76.2mm f/16 telescope, a Christmas 1966 present from my parents, has reached the ripe and young age of 55. This telescope has an interesting story because I sold it in 1976 and it remained out of my hands for 20 years before it landed back in my hands in 1996. During his first 10-12 years with the telescope the intermediate owner used it a lot but the telescope suffered a couple of mishaps. Then he stored the telescope for about 8-9 years. When I got the telescope back it was showing the scars of battles and the effect of long term storage. The mount and finder where the most affected areas. In the early 2000s I repainted some of the parts, the tripod legs were refinished hardware and all. I even used brass wood screws for the tripod leg clamps. The mount was disassembled, cleaned and lubricated. All its parts were repainted except one, the optical tube clamp. According to the intermediate owner, at some point the mount suffered a fall and it landed on a concrete driveway. The clamp base was cracked on its side. He took it to someone who "repaired it". I'll be fair, the repair has worked all these years but is the ugliest thing that I have seen. The other thing that took a fall during that time was the finder. It has a rather large clam. When I took that telescope back in 1996 I was so happy that those two defects didn't bother me at all. Now I would really like to resolve both issues. The finder objective lenses may be the easier to find but the lower section telescope clamp is another story.

I could finally repaint the optical tube clamp and live with it or find someone in the forum with a spare clamp or maybe even a spare parts mount. There is no way to make that clamp repair beautiful. So, in all fairness I am asking for help in getting a good optical tube clamp . I know this is a shot in the dark but the 55 years old telescope is worth it.

Here are images of the clamp "repaired" area and finder objective. This is the first time I ever photograph that part of the 2535. My Sears 60mm F/11, now 56 years old has always been on my watch and is almost mint. Unfortunately the 76mm was out of my watch for 20 years. 

Perhaps you could take all of the repair screws and brackets off and then have it Tig welded, or DIY....

I haven't used it my self but some people have good results with aluminum brazing products like this:

https://www.harborfr...rods-44810.html

Somebody posted a link to another product like it but I lost it. In any event there are some Youtube videos on the subject.

I also have a damaged clamp and still need to decide on how to get it fixed. scratchhead2.gif

Edited by Kasmos, 25 February 2021 - 04:04 PM.

#5897 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:39 PM

Thanks! I have thought about having it soldered. Except for electronic component soldering, I don't know anything about soldering metal parts at all. The screws that you see were filed on the other side to the point that it's difficult to see them. I am afraid that removing them could do even more damage. I'll end up taking the clamp out and refinishing it as is. Maybe one of these days a parts mount will be available. Over the years I became accustomed to this repair until the 6336 refractor arrived and reminded me how nice this tube clamp looked when new. I think this is what its called pot metal.

#5898 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:40 PM

Meade Model 390 - AZ Mount Restore:

Meade 390 AZ Restore S21 - Mount & Tripod (LS Full).jpg Meade 390 AZ Restore S23 - Mount & Tripod (RS Full).jpg

I can imagine an owner dropping this scope off with Goodwill -- out of sheer frustration.  Altitude Axis was firm & smooth, but the Azimuth was a grind -- literally.  

Before I broke it down for maintenance:  The mount head was so filthy from dust, grit, & animal hair sticking to the AZ hub & all the places where the nasty-smelling lube had run out & down that I took it outside, brushed-off all the exterior mess, then rinsed the whole thing with gasoline...

Here's what I found after disassembly:

Meade 390 AZ Restore S11 - Break Down (ALL).jpg

This stuff was slopped on, and over the years I guess it melted & ran.  And, it stank.

• Marc-Andre, blakestree, oldmanastro and 1 other like this

#5899 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:45 PM

I cleaned all that muck off -- again with gasoline & old rags:

Meade 390 AZ Restore S15 - Clean Disks (ALL).jpg

Then I applied a thin layer of that red grease that I've used on at least a half-dozen mounts:

Meade 390 AZ Restore S18 - Lubed Disks (ALL).jpg

Before reassembly, I bored the 2 holes in the cradle-plate to accept 1/4-20 bolts; then, used my Dremel to cut notches in the felt-lined rim so that Sheldon's [MASILMW] Vixen Dovetail Clamps would fit (along with my larger hinged rings), and attached a pair:

Meade 390 AZ Restore S19 - Sheldon DV Mod (LS).jpg

• blakestree, Kasmos and Allanbarth1 like this

#5900 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:51 PM

I should call this restore the Sheldon-Meade Model 390:

Meade 390 AZ Restore S22 - Mount & Tripod (LS Zoom).jpg Meade 390 AZ Restore S24 - Mount & Tripod (RS Zoom).jpg

In addition to the dovetail clamps, those are Sheldon chrome-rod slow-motion controls.  Very well made, and that big disk model is great for making big sweeps; while the black knob version tucks under & out of the way from scope tubes.

The Big QuestionHow much weight can this improved mount carry?

Notice that I removed the tripod spreader.  As I posted earlier, a pair of the plastic spreader-rod hoops had shattered, so I went ahead & removed them all.  The Spreader is a cheap flimsy thin sheet metal contraption, anyway -- no big loss!  The tripod legs are lighter than the original set on my Orion VersaGo 2, and I replaced them with that vintage 1960s USA-made Eagle Surveyor wood set.  The VG2 has no trouble carrying my hefty Triple Nickle -- 5" F5 non-ED triplet -- about 16 pounds loaded with a 50mm RACI finder, 2" diagonal, & 2" eyepiece.  BUT... on the VG2, this heavy RFT hangs off the side of the Vixen clamp:

ATM 5x5T - Restore S27 (VersaGo).jpg

I don't like that arrangement at all -- my JaegerMeister 4" F5 broke free of the VG2 one night...  Besides hollering, I said some unkind words about Orion!

On the 390, the scope's weight is carried traditionally, and I think the mount head can support it.  But the tripod will probably be shaky -- if it doesn't completely collapse!

As of RIGHT NOW:  Once again, the NWS local forecast is worthless, and we may have clear skies tonight.  I know the 390 can carry the 90mm F11 refractor.  I'll try the Triple Nickle -- fingers crossed...

(I have a spare wooden surveyor's tripod, but it's antique, and won't fit the 390's tripod hub.)

Edited by Bomber Bob, 26 February 2021 - 06:18 PM.

• Joe1950 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics