•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
6058 replies to this topic

#5976 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 24 March 2021 - 06:20 PM

Over the last week I have revised my 8" Dob's mount to fit the new Astrogoods tube rings, 12" diameter altitude bearings and bearing supports that Mark made for me.  I collimated the optics yesterday as the rain was pouring down outside.  Tonight & the next three nights are out as we are socked in with clouds here.  And when it does clear up the moon will likely be full or close to it.  It figures!  This will also be the scope's first light since getting the mirrors recoated by Majestic Coatings.  I am really looking forward to seeing what this scope can do now after all the changes I've made.    

Edited by coopman, 24 March 2021 - 06:24 PM.

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#5977 blakestree

blakestree

Ranger 4

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted 24 March 2021 - 06:52 PM

I pulled my Brandon's Super Focuser off for the second time. Added more grease and adjusted the pinion cover more. I think it is now as good as this focuser can get. 

edit:

Oh, and I also ran the cell all the way in. That, already, is showing better collimation. I'll finish it up tomorrow.

Edited by blakestree, 24 March 2021 - 06:59 PM.

• steve t, Bomber Bob and cambutton like this

#5978 photiost

photiost

Gemini

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 24 March 2021 - 10:18 PM

1985 Tak SKY CANCER EQ + 1960s Filotecnica Tripod:

attachicon.gifTak SC EQ Restore T01 - Filotecnica Tripod (FULL RS).jpgattachicon.gifTak SC EQ Restore T03 - Filotecnica Tripod (FULL LS).jpg

attachicon.gifTak SC EQ Restore T02 - Filotecnica Tripod (ZOOM RS).jpgattachicon.gifTak SC EQ Restore T04 - Filotecnica Tripod (ZOOM LS).jpg

I already had restoring this Italian-made surveyor tripod on my project list, now I know the color scheme - Battleship Gray.  It has carried a 1950s Unitron 152 (4" F15 EQ), and a Tak EM-1S.  The SC EQ is a mote by comparison.  It has a standard 1/4-20 socket on the base, and is attached with a McCarr stainless bolt w/ brass handle.  Takes just a couple of minutes to swap this dinky EQ with a Big AZ mount.  Because it is so short, I'll probably make a 3" x 8" pillar to lift it up & away from the Filo's tripod hub.  No matter what, I'm adding a bubble level -- and there's still room to set a few eyepieces there when I'm swapping those out.

(With the loaded C/V Turret, no need to attach a weight to the FC-50's cradle.)

That's a Wonderful setup !!

• Bomber Bob likes this

#5979 cambutton

cambutton

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tacoma Washington

Posted 24 March 2021 - 11:29 PM

I mounted a C100 Celestron, and aligned the quickfinder to the ota sighting the Moon and Sirius through cloud breaks.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20210324_212507.jpg

• CCD-Freak, steve t, deepwoods1 and 6 others like this

#5980 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 26 March 2021 - 11:19 AM

I had been wanting to make a pan handle for my porta mount and when my son said he had some left over padauk from his tractor trailer build I thought I would give that a try. The scope on the trailer is my 750 unitron.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2098 (640x479).jpg
  • DSCN2107 (640x463).jpg
  • DSCN2081 (640x480).jpg

• Pete W, steve t, deepwoods1 and 10 others like this

#5981 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 26 March 2021 - 11:31 AM

I had been wanting to make a pan handle for my porta mount...

Beautiful work! -- and very much needed, IMO -- one reason why I haven't bought a Porta myself.

• steve t and walter a like this

#5982 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 26 March 2021 - 03:49 PM

Sub-60 Project - 2 Converted Tasco Click-Zooms:

Tasco 4ETE (B&L) Rebuild S03 - 4VTE (K).jpg

TOP:  Tasco 4ETE converted to use a 1960s B&L 40x400 F10 cemented doublet.  Finished Today!

BOTTOM:  Tasco 4VTE converted to astro-use with its original Kenko 40x500 F12.5 cemented doublet.  Finished back in June 2019.

The 4ETE has a manual / pull focus tube - no R&P.  Its diameter & thread matches the internal barrels of most Japan-made .965" eyepieces & such (AO diagonal attached).

Since the Jaegers 89 lens turned out not to be an objective, I plan on letting this B&L ride on the Jaegers 50 OTA.  The dinky Soviet 30mm will go on the Tasco 4VTE.

• steve t, RichA and walter a like this

#5983 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 07:03 PM

Getting ready to pour an upper section of the pier in my observatory. The current pier is at deck level, topped with a short, 5" steel pier that I got in another deal, and then multiple extensions on top of that, making it flex too much. So I made a cap plate for the 12" concrete column out of 1/4" aluminum. It is drilled for the 3/4" bolts that go into a used Dan's pier plate that I recently found on AM. This way, the bolts will stay straight during the pour, enabling me to adjust the height by an inch or two, if I get a taller mount some day. I had read that the slots in the pier plate would let the bolts shift enough that they would end up non-parallel, preventing vertical adjustment. All the hardware is stainless, and the plates and adapters are aluminum. 

This was an interesting process - the upper tire on my band saw gave out about 3/4 of the way around the circle. Shortly after I replaced it, the blade broke. Not having cut 1/4" aluminum on it before, I didn't know what to expect, and it was taking a lot of effort with the old blade. The new blade is a bit thicker and has a more aggressive tooth - it cut the remaining 1/4 circle in about 1/10th the time that the old blade did. Lesson learned: buy extra blades and change them more often. 

Chip W. 

Pier plate - 1.jpeg Pier plate - 2.jpeg

• steve t, deepwoods1, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#5984 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 27 March 2021 - 12:32 PM

More work.

Some people's kids. Argh.

Clear Skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• Hack focuser.jpg
  • cracked tube.jpg

• deepwoods1 and Bomber Bob like this

#5985 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2021 - 01:48 PM

Wait. It gets better.

I am the proud owner of rotating rings set #44, and a broken tube end ring.

Clear Skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• inner r-ring.jpg
  • tube end ring.jpg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#5986 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 27 March 2021 - 02:10 PM

Tak SKY CANCER EQ Pillar for the Filo Tripod:

Tak SC EQ Restore S13 - 20CM Pillar for Filo Tripod.jpg

Pieced together from stuff in the shed -- Edmund Fans (Hi, Robert!) will recognize that cast iron cap.  Column is a thick-walled 2.5" brass tube, base is the part I made for the now OBE'd Jaegers 89 project.  It is stout at 5 lbs, and lifts the SC about 8" over its original base height -- similar to other pedestal extensions.  It has Zero give on the Filo.  Gotta strip & de-rust the cap, and polish the base, then paint.

[OBE = Overcome By Events]

• deepwoods1, icomet, blakestree and 2 others like this

#5987 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:56 PM

Okay, enough with demolition, let's put something together.

A cover for my SN-10.

Every scope I have isn't made anymore.    grin.gif 

Clear Skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• SN-10.jpg
  • SN-10 cover.jpg

• deepwoods1, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#5988 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 27 March 2021 - 07:19 PM

I am getting ready for "Galaxy Season" so I mounted my EAF on my Moonlite focuser for my AT10RC.  Fellow CNer chongo228 made a very nice bracket to do the job.  It was a very quick and easy install and saved me much time designing it myself.  grin.gif

EAF-MoonLite-2.JPG

• deepwoods1 and icomet like this

#5989 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 28 March 2021 - 12:44 AM

I picked up a Pelican 1600 for my GM8 and then spent several hours fitting Astro Devices encoders. One thing I learned - don’t drop a GM8 on your foot if you want to be able to put shoes on.

• steve t, deepwoods1, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#5990 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 28 March 2021 - 10:04 AM

I picked up a Pelican 1600 for my GM8 and then spent several hours fitting Astro Devices encoders. One thing I learned - don’t drop a GM8 on your foot if you want to be able to put shoes on.

Yes and the raw edge square legs are like a Veg-O-Matic.

"It slices it dices..."

Robert

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#5991 machvolum

machvolum

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2021 - 03:16 PM

Finally got around to 3d printing some rings to attach my Edmund-Rank 3 inch f/11 refractor. Initial results were good. Just need to wait for clear dark skies!!

Cheers!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210328_141537.jpg
  • 20210328_141552.jpg

• davidmcgo, steve t, deepwoods1 and 7 others like this

#5992 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 28 March 2021 - 05:13 PM

I finally found an adapter to install my Pole Master on my AP900 mount.  All of my mounts use the universal mount adapters so I can move the Pole Master to whichever mount I want to use so ... I was ready to polar align and I got the camera out and tried to attach it to the new AP900 adapter and "No Joy" it was not the same size !!!!!  "Bad words and more bad words !!!"  I  did not want to have to fiddle with three small screws to attach the dovetail piece to the back of the camera every time I want to use the AP900.

I chucked the polar scope cover in the lathe and machined it flat and then drilled and tapped a hole to attach the universal mount I happened to have on hand.   I sold the mount for the AP900 to another person that only has one mount.

Problem solved. !!!  grin.gif

AP900-PMA-1.JPG

AP900-PMA-3.JPG

• deepwoods1, icomet and Bomber Bob like this

#5993 blakestree

blakestree

Ranger 4

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted 28 March 2021 - 05:34 PM

I got my Brandon collimated-ish. The "refractor" cheshire that I got is pretty poor.

I, also, tweaked the 839 focuser with new knowledge pertaining to adjusting rack and pinions.

{Not a Classic, but I serviced my TV-60's helical, too.}

• deepwoods1 likes this

#5994 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 28 March 2021 - 05:40 PM

I like these quick Sunday afternoon projects with big results.  In this case, a multi-barrel collar for my Mogey 3:

Antique 38mm Diagonal Restore S01 - Multiple Barrel Collar.jpg

The Mogey's focuser tube is an unusual diameter - slightly larger than standard 1.25" outside, and about 29mm inside.  I have been using this antique prism diagonal:

7 Antique Eyepieces - Restore S21.jpg

Its barrel is over 2" long, and it slid inside with a tight secure fit.  But its prism is very small & fragile.  I wanted to use this antique diagonal with 38mm prism faces:

Antique 38mm Diagonal AS02.jpg

The Seller called it Jaegers because of the eyepiece, but I don't think it is.  Anyway, it's for standard 1.25" barrels - dang it.  But, its eyepiece collar slides over the Mogey's tube for a tight fit...  So, what I needed was a collar to slide over its 1.25" barrel that would fit all 3 barrel sizes.  After digging around in the shed - Eureka!  I had a scrap aluminum tube just the right size.  Now my Mogey can use a bigger & better diagonal, and all 3 eyepiece formats.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 28 March 2021 - 05:41 PM.

• deepwoods1, icomet, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#5995 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 28 March 2021 - 08:18 PM

When I buy a telescope its usually clamchipped, not always but most of the time.

When the scope has electronics its usually not working and has a something electronic

problem.

Electronic problems can be difficult sometimes.

I have a battery of questions I usually ask the seller that helps diagnose dead electronics.

This particular telescope is a Celestron 6 inch SCT. I'd say it's a classic although technically

not old enough. Like the McDonalds Big Mac it is a classic and hopefully the one you are

eating was not made 25 years ago, or 25 minutes ago for that matter!

Ok first question for the seller,

"did smoke come out?"

"yes"

"ah ha"

"why did smoke come out?"

"I think I plugged something in one of the ports that wasn't supposed to be plugged in."

"thanks, that helps!"

So now all I need to do is open it up and look for the fried component.

Sure enough a cooked diode.

I was able to read the part number and I can buy one locally for $1.29

I'll solder it in and hope that's it.

Robert

• deepwoods1, icomet, Marc-Andre and 2 others like this

#5996 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

Posted 28 March 2021 - 11:26 PM

To the above reference to a Big Mac, age not a factor here.   lol.gif 

Clear Skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• spam.jpg

• clamchip likes this

#5997 SamTheMan

SamTheMan

Explorer 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Home: Auburn, WA 98002

Posted 29 March 2021 - 04:10 PM

In an earlier post, I showed you all how I had mounted my fork-mounted, LX50 off its tripod and onto a Cave Astrola pedestal.

Next...

well, it's time to put my 8" F8 Cave together, which means the LX50 goes back on its tripod.  But, I really liked the wheels under the LX50, so I searched and found tripod wheels that fit the Meade tripod perfectly. FYI, the tip of the tripod inserts to a depth of 18mm.  I was concerned that this might not be enough, but it is very secure and strong. no worries.

here's the Amazon link....

https://www.amazon.c...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

see pics...

Sam

Attached Thumbnails

• tripod 1.jpg
  • tripod 2.jpg

• icomet, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5998 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 30 March 2021 - 06:37 AM

Well... shoot!  The collar works, but only for straight-through observing; and, that big "Jaegers" diagonal requires more back-focus than the Mogey provides.  I'll have to dig out that thread-in ring that works -- but it's limited to .965" & smaller barrels.

For now, the big diagonal is a decoration - hate that, as it has a good prism.  The collar works great - nothing like straight-through with that old 1.25" Jaegers 16mm Erfle.

Noticed yesterday that the Mogey objective has acquired some very light haze since its restore.  Hope to clean & re-test it on the DPAC rig this weekend.  Very similar to the JaegerMeister - could be that chalkboard black paint out-gassing / curing...

Tak / Filo Pillar:  Paint is drying on the cap & base now.  Lots of drilling & tapping, filing & sanding this morning before assembly:  Tak EQ fits to a Tee, and tilts from about -5 to 75 degrees latitude.  I carried the counterweight to Home Depot yesterday, and couldn't find a color close, and I've used grays & silvers on the pedestals, so it'll coordinate with the Filo's pretty legs instead.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 30 March 2021 - 12:33 PM.

#5999 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 31 March 2021 - 04:07 PM

Tak / Filo Pillar - Done:

Tak SC EQ Restore S15 - 20CM Pillar for Filo Tripod (DONE).jpg

For Scale:  The pillar is 8" tall - that's how small the Sky Cancer EQ is.  W-O-R-K got in the way, but I'm going to wash the Filo's wood legs with Murphy's Oil Soap before I sand & stain them - if they need a refinish.  IIRC, they had a hint of orange before all the dust & POLLEN got to them.  All the metal parts will get the same dark bronze satin.  The wide top...  I'm gonna polish it, and see if it even needs painting.

BIF:  Debra chose the colors.  (Odds are, she sees the restored Filo as a floor lamp.)  I don't think this is a coincidence:  Last year she bought a long metal outdoor coffee table at a yard sale.  Guess what color she painted it...  Yep, dark bronze.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 31 March 2021 - 05:04 PM.

• RichA, blakestree and walter a like this

#6000 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 01 April 2021 - 01:17 PM

I did some mount swapping today. Since my heavy-duty 1” shaft Jaegers GEM and my medium weight Edmund 5/8” shaft GEM both have 3” i.d. pier hubs, I put the Jaegers mount on the 3’ pedestal and the Edmund on the surveyors tripod. Now the lovely red bakelite knobs on my Jaegers mount match the red knobs on the Jaegers focuser on my 6” ATM Newtonian and the motions are oh so smooth and solid as a rock. I purchased the Edmund mount back in 1967 to use with this Newtonian that I constructed that year, but the scope, with its heavy rolled and seamed steel tube and full thickness pyrex mirror always seemed a bit much for the mount. This one is perfect for it!

Attached Thumbnails

• A5ECE978-32B7-4A7D-940C-9B654B71A957.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 01 April 2021 - 02:06 PM.

• clamchip, mdowns, Marc-Andre and 6 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics