A number of years ago a friend gave me a collection of Unitron parts that his father used in his surveying business that he had back in the 70's So I have a couple 114 mounts but no tripods. He used the mount on metal tripods and mounted a laser on them.
In the classified last week there was an ad for an Unitron 114 tripod that was stated to be made in the 50's and was not in the greatest of shape. I made a deal with the seller. When it arrived it was in better shaped then described. A couple of areas needed some 80 grit sand paper to clean up some rough areas and all the pieces were lightly sanded. I then applied a single coat of amber shellac followed by a number of coats of semi gloss lacquer from a spray can. The metal tip were removed and sprayed semi-gloss black and the other metal pieces polished up with steel wool.
The tripod is the older style that did not have the spreader to stop the legs from spreading apart on their own and possibly causing the scope to fall over so I added eyelet bolts and chains to limit the spread of the legs.
The mount was missing the thread metal bushing, and threaded slow motion rods so I machined new bushing from some aluminum rod and used some 6-32 all thread for the rods.
Next I need to repaint the mount. I think I might make a light weight 3" Schiefspeigler to use with it.