•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
6121 replies to this topic

#6101 dave253

dave253

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:16 AM

I cleaned up the optics in my Vixen custom 80; and tightened/lubed the mount. It’s a great little scope! 

• deepwoods1, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#6102 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 03 June 2021 - 02:28 PM

I should have done this along time ago. My 2nd story deck and neighbors spare bedroom are the same height. They sometimes leave the room light on all night.

Last night they left the light on all night again. Its amazing how much just one light in the vicinity can negatively effect your night time vision.

After last night, I decided I need to put up a blind quickly, even if it is just a temporary solution.

1.JPG

The house plants on the deck will also enjoy some additional west exposure shade.

Edited by Mbinoc, 03 June 2021 - 02:51 PM.

• steve t, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#6103 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:13 PM

I just made a revision on my light blind.

I did not want to risk ripping any siding of my house in-case a strong wind storm comes through. This is how the blind / old blanket is now attached in the four corners.

2.JPG

It will be super easy to put up or take down, since it is not the most attractive thing I could have hung up.

Edited by Mbinoc, 03 June 2021 - 06:16 PM.

• steve t, Steve Allison and Nightwatchers like this

#6104 kjkrum

kjkrum

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 03 June 2021 - 09:18 PM

Picked up the Astral 500 (60mm f/15, mostly metal, circle-T) that I won from Goodwill for $8. Disassembled and cleaned it up. Swapped the (also non-original) 1.25 focuser off my Meade 224. If I feel up to it after the kids are in bed, I'll make a (temporary?) wooden dovetail plate for the little clamshell and take it for a spin. The slow motion knobs that came with it will replace the ones on my CG5.
  • steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#6105 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 03 June 2021 - 09:39 PM

I put it together to keep from forgetting where it all goes. I did this 2 days ago though so is this cheating for the string? It's a preliminary to figure out the paint scheme.  I'm at black for the pipe, green for most bolt ons, brass and copper shine, some iron shine, some stainless hardware left unpainted.  It came to me in a dream last week and said "you're going to forget how I go together even with pictures".  Dream was right but I got it. 

OK, I took the pictures today!

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010003.JPG
  • P1010004.JPG
  • P1010005.JPG

• steve t, icomet, mdowns and 3 others like this

#6106 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 09:44 PM

I cleaned the objective prism, and barlow of a Shrine-Manon that had been donated a while ago. It still needs a lot of cleaning and tuning of the mount. I plan to give it to a young man who does tree work for us. He's been wanting a scope for a while, and lives on a farm out in the hills, with dark skies. But like many arborists, a telescope just isn't in the budget. He's very good with mechanics and grease, as you'd expect of someone who maintains chainsaws, chippers, tractors, etc. The eyepieces with it were both shot, so I scraped together a couple that just needed cleaning, to replace them, and got them cleaned. I think he'll have fun with it. 

With smaller classes coming through the pipe for at least the next five years, I'm going to start downsizing the loaner set from what I had assembled for the big class this year. That will mean selling off some of the smaller scopes (Manons and Unitron 114's mostly), and just keeping a few for students who don't have space at home or easy access to the sky, to be dragging a bigger scope out for a long distance.

Chip W. 

• Pete W, steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#6107 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 06 June 2021 - 01:41 PM

No "sticktion" allowed. (Teflon)

Clear Skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• Teflon for r-rings.jpg

• steve t, mdowns and Terra Nova like this

#6108 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

Posted 06 June 2021 - 02:10 PM

R-ring together.

Clear Skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• r-rings.jpg

• steve t, mdowns, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#6109 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 June 2021 - 05:11 PM

I did not make any improvements to the scopes or mounts, but did make another convenience move.

I have a few vintage scopes that haven't been used as much as they should. To make things more convenient, I decided to hang a few in-expensive mounts under my homes 2nd story decks eave for the summer.

I have hung up a 114mm mount, a 60mm mount, and a binocular mount.  This way I can just grab a random scope, and not have to worry about trying to also carry a mount 1/2 through the house and outside.

1.JPG

The roofs eave extends 39" from the house, and should keep the mounts pretty dry. To help prevent any rust from humidity I lightly sprayed the metal parts with Meguiar's Spray car wax, and polished off.

2.jpg

I'm sure there are better products for this purpose, does any one have any recommendations to help me keep these inexpensive mounts rust free outside for the summer?

Edited by Mbinoc, 06 June 2021 - 05:15 PM.

• 4Texans, steve t, mdowns and 2 others like this

#6110 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 08 June 2021 - 04:40 PM

My Astrogoods tube cradle kit for the MN66 came in. I’ve got it glued, screwed, and varnished. I need some mounting hardware and felt strips so I can get that one out later this week.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9B5A0E1F-14D8-4FF1-8789-A141C6E34C53.jpeg

• steve t, mdowns, Marc-Andre and 6 others like this

#6111 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:33 PM

Repairs. The loaners are coming home to roost. One 114 had water between the elements (which were backward in the cell). The spacers were totally loose. Got it dried and cleaned (although there is quite a bit of coating loss - but it was already a clam-chipped ugly ducking lens) and made new spacers. The originals were 0.002" and the closest I could come was 0.003", but I got good, centered rings. The finder had also been disassembled. It was backwards in the mounting rings, and the objective cell and lens were loose in the box. Once it was back together, it was fine. 

Another 114 also had the finder removed. But in addition, the mounting rings had been removed, and the nuts were loose inside the tube. The retaining screws for the objective were also half out - apparently the student tried to remove the lens to get at the loose nuts. In the process, they ended up damaging a spacer so that I could barely find the rings way off to one side. These spacers measured 0.005, but when I tried replacing them with matching material, they were still distorted. So I switched to the same 0..003" material that had worked on the other one, and again was able to get centered rings. I pulled off the focuser and re-mounted the finder rings, after searching the box for loose screws and washers that were scattered to the far corners. 

The other 12 scopes that have come in so far are all fine. This was really unusual. Our students are normally very good about stopping and asking for help because they know we never hold it against them. But these two are both new to the school. Maybe they just don't yet believe that they won't get in trouble. 

Chip W. 

• steve t, Bomber Bob and Mbinoc like this

#6112 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:54 PM

Tube splitting hardware.

A little over kill wth some of the components, but this was the smallest

combination of parts.

Access to mounting hole through the larger top hole. Just insert the mounting

screw.

Set of 3 for this dob. 2 pieces.

The other one I'm also working on needs two sets. Tube will be split into 3 pieces.

Clear Skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tube splitting hardware.jpg

• steve t, Bomber Bob and Mbinoc like this

#6113 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 11 June 2021 - 12:09 AM

First light, for me, with the MN66. The separation between Polaris a and b is cavernous at 85x, and a rough star test looks nearly symmetrical in and out of focus at 230x, though there’s too much atmospheric turbulence to be sure about any other aberrations. My rough collimation also appears to be pretty close. As expected, there is pretty severe falloff in the outer 10-15% of the fov with a 40mm Optiluxe but it’s still very usable. I think with a 24 or 25mm 82 degree eyepiece it would be negligible visually. The UA mount is adequate, but it’s too tall with the 12” extension it doesn’t look like there will be any leg clearance problems without it, so it should serve as a nice quick setup mount for this scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• FAA95A00-5CC7-4997-A844-C3448E2C6C3D.jpeg

• Pete W, steve t, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#6114 L. Regira

L. Regira

Ranger 4

• Loc: Theriot, LA 29' 42"N; 90.78W

Posted 11 June 2021 - 11:43 AM

Today I cleaned my observatory and telescope and mount. I hope to get to not only look at it but through it tonight.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0274.JPG

• steve t, icomet, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#6115 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 June 2021 - 04:45 PM

The tiny finder on the Edmund 4" was driving me crazy. It was often inaccessible, and even when it was, the small size made it hard to find all but the brightest objects. Being straight through, it also required neck strain to see through in many positions. When I've had it at observing evenings at school, it has bored the students to watch me hunt, and hunt, and hunt with it. 

So I got seem 4" rings from Scopestuff, some 70mm ID Svbony guide scope rings from Amazon, and Vixen 1.25" adapter, and turned the HOC Shrine Manon into a super-finder. This is the one that I had recently finished cleaning up and repositioning lens spacers on. Got some decent weather today and collimated it on a distant target. With a 40mm Celestron Plossl, that I happened to have, it has a field of about 2.5*. I have tested the Manon by itself with this eyepiece, and found that it worked well as a finder. 

Chip W. 

Edmund 4 - 1 (3).jpeg

• davidmcgo, Pete W, mdowns and 9 others like this

#6116 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 13 June 2021 - 06:44 PM

I picked up a cheap grab n go mount for my small scopes.

Attached Thumbnails

• F084E65B-8818-4A32-91B4-B1187705A25E.jpeg

• Pete W, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#6117 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 14 June 2021 - 10:38 AM

The tiny finder on the Edmund 4" was driving me crazy. It was often inaccessible, and even when it was, the small size made it hard to find all but the brightest objects. Being straight through, it also required neck strain to see through in many positions. When I've had it at observing evenings at school, it has bored the students to watch me hunt, and hunt, and hunt with it. 

So I got seem 4" rings from Scopestuff, some 70mm ID Svbony guide scope rings from Amazon, and Vixen 1.25" adapter, and turned the HOC Shrine Manon into a super-finder. This is the one that I had recently finished cleaning up and repositioning lens spacers on. Got some decent weather today and collimated it on a distant target. With a 40mm Celestron Plossl, that I happened to have, it has a field of about 2.5*. I have tested the Manon by itself with this eyepiece, and found that it worked well as a finder. 

Chip W. 

attachicon.gifEdmund 4 - 1 (3).jpeg

Your setup of the 4” Edmund is spectacular! The bigger finder will help a lot. For a time I used a Russell 60mm on mine and I also mounted a Telrad on a mounting plate across the top of the rings sitting mid-ship so to speak. I found it immensely useful in star hopping and sighting in with the long-John of an Edmund.

#6118 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:56 PM

Chip W. 

attachicon.gifEdmund 4 - 1 (3).jpeg

It reminds me of my 4"Jaegers/Cave since a Mayflower 814 use to ride on it.

Jaegers 4 Studio c.jpg

but since it's restoration it's now has a very good Tasco 9TE.

Jaegers-4-Dusk.jpg

I switch to the Tasco because it is lighter plus because it's black and white it's a better match to the 50mm finder.

Edited by Kasmos, 14 June 2021 - 02:07 PM.

• clamchip, mdowns, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#6119 Pete W

Pete W

Viking 1

• Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 15 June 2021 - 08:59 PM

Awhile ago, Bomber Bob posted that the black portion of an old TeleVue barlow could be threaded onto the pull out tube on some Royal Astro refractors - an easy way to convert these scopes to 1.25".  Following this trend of thought, I tried to thread my old Televue 2.5X barlow black portion onto the narrower pullout tube on my Towa Jason 313 - surprisingly it worked.  The inside of the black tube has what look like threads that were able to grab onto the threads of the scope's pullout tube - it ain't a perfect fit, but seems fairly stout for light 1.25" eyepieces.  

So tonight I'm testing it out in the backyard with the Jason riding the Mizar EQ head.  So far so good.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210615_203506.jpg
  • 20210615_204723.jpg

Edited by Pete W, 15 June 2021 - 09:01 PM.

• steve t, Bomber Bob, kjkrum and 1 other like this

#6120 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:20 PM

Cool!  Yeah, the 76mm AOs have a 30mm tube, and the TV Barlow piece threads into that chrome tube.

As long as the accessories aren't too heavy, your option should work, too...

• Pete W likes this

#6121 SamTheMan

SamTheMan

Explorer 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Home: Auburn, WA 98002

Posted Yesterday, 11:45 AM

update on my LX50 on a Cave pedestal.

I de-forked the LX50 and mounted it on my LXD55 and the LXD55 now rides on top of the LX50 tripod to which I added wheels.

Attached Thumbnails

• LX50 tripod.jpg

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#6122 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted Yesterday, 02:21 PM

I haven't used my 5" Apogee refractor in a long time, so I thought I'd get it out.

I put it on my CGEMII mount that's on my medium height pier.

Apogee on the CGEM.jpg

We've had some great weather lately, so I thought I get some viewing in with an old friend.

• steve t, mdowns, TSSClay and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics