•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
6429 replies to this topic

#6426 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 11 January 2022 - 04:20 PM

Do you have a link to the auction? I'm just interested in how it was advertised/presented, but understand if you'd rather not.

I don't.  But the ZEN Ad had a single pix of the TS-65.  Buried in the translated text was a link to the seller's personal ad on another site, where he had pix of the 2 scopes, plus some of the Extras -- and a list that was a partial inventory.  That "ad" looked like a family member clearing-out a deceased's collection...

*****  Actually Chris, I saved that "hidden" web page as a PDF, but it's > 500KB.  PM me with an external email, and I'll zap it to ya!  (He / they wanted 28,000 yen for the whole lot.)  Here's screen grabs of my PDF:

ZEN Big Buy 2021 S91 - Web Page 2-1.jpg ZEN Big Buy 2021 S92 - Web Page 2-1.jpg ZEN Big Buy 2021 S93 - Web Page 2-1.jpg ZEN Big Buy 2021 S94 - Web Page 2-1.jpg ZEN Big Buy 2021 S95 - Web Page 2-1.jpg ZEN Big Buy 2021 S96 - Web Page 2-1.jpg ZEN Big Buy 2021 S97 - Web Page 2-1.jpg ZEN Big Buy 2021 S98 - Web Page 2-1.jpg ZEN Big Buy 2021 S99 - Web Page 2-1.jpg

Edited by Bomber Bob, 11 January 2022 - 04:42 PM.

#6427 TDunnavant

TDunnavant

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Missouri City, Texas -- SW-side Houston suburb

Posted 11 January 2022 - 04:47 PM

Back in December I was gifted a classic Super Polaris - C8, dating from around 1986.  I haven't done much astronomical in the past 50 years or so (I'm currently 65), so I thought this was a good excuse to get back into my passion!  I've been "learning by doing" with the scope for the past month or so.

When I got the rig, I realized that it had a nice, tight (no lag, binding, what have you) Dec motion, but that the RA motion was quite problematic.  Last night, I was out attempting to collimate the scope using a Duncan Mask, but the RA motion was so jumpy that I wasn't able to make the fine-grained motions that are needed to center a star at 400x magnification.  Very frustrating, indeed!

So, today I went back to the guidance one of you pointed me to a couple of weeks ago, regarding adjusting a Super Polaris mount (http://web.archive.o...ro.com/SPa1.htm).  In spite of my innate klutziness, I was able to tune the RA motion to my satisfaction.  It now is quite smooth, from the very start of a fine-motion-adjustment attempt.

I'm looking forward to getting rid of my current cloud cover in a couple of nights and checking out my smoother movement!  I'm anticipating a drastic reduction in frustration level with the scope, which will be a good thing.

• mdowns, Nick Will and Bomber Bob like this

#6428 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2022 - 08:05 PM

There have to be several unforgivable heresies shown in this photo.

So the Teegul 60’s drawtube has standard Tak 43mm female threads which its helical focuser screws into - the same focuser was marketed as a fine focuser for their Newtonians. It’s also 3” long with the Vixen 1.25” back. I found the Baader 43 to T2 adapter with 1mm light path and was ready to pick up a T2 to SCT adapter so I could mount an SCT crayford. Then I found the TS T2 flange for the Feathertouch 1.25” with a .75” drawtube. Woodland had the single speed in stock and I was rolling. A washcloth provided enough padding for my Towa 80mm clamp to fit the tube and I used a 4” dovetail bolted to the end of a 7” to offset it enough to balance and reach zenith with my Nexstar 5se mount.

The Feathertouch is almost an inch shorter than the stock focuser and 1.25” adapter and has built in t-threads, so it opens up some flexibility for imaging. I do think I’m going to get on a waitlist with a vendor that has free shipping to pick up the two speed setup for the focuser.

It’s just my luck that on the first clear night in more than a month where I have good transparency and I had time the seeing is absolute crap. Ha!

Attached Thumbnails

• EB9C16E0-BD2E-4146-AB0F-B0BC9CD91A0B.jpeg

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#6429 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 03:06 PM

I adapted a Celestron Logic drive to my Pentax 85 mount. Details are in the Pentax Telescopes and Mounts thread.

Pentax Drive - 1.jpeg

Chip W.

• steve t, mdowns, Star.Monger and 5 others like this

#6430 barbie

barbie

Vanguard

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 16 January 2022 - 09:48 PM

Today, I fitted a .965" to 1.25" adapter to my Sears 6333A 60mm f15 refractor so I can use present day 1.25" eyepieces with this classic refractor.

• steve t, mdowns, Marc-Andre and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics