•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
7620 replies to this topic

#7201 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 08 September 2022 - 04:47 PM

Good Grief, CN...  I was almost done editing my J6 post, and the Edit Timer expired -- no warning, no saving text, nothing.

The powder coat color shifts with lighting changes -- I don't think any of my others do that (including the 2 x C (V) gloss black refractors).  I see what JD meant about the finish...  JD offered to primer the tube with dark gray, but I decided against it based on the color chart.  Shoot!  It would be Black with primer on it...

While the tube was away, I gave that big ol' lens a big ol' cleaning & alignment check.  Remarkable that in 50+ years, it has no scratches, coating loss, chips, etc.  Now that it's back together, I'll DPAC it (I built my rig for up to a 5" lens, so I'll have to use its tube for positioning).

Previous owner flocked the sky end, so I flocked the eye end.  There are some threaded holes still open.  Trying to decide if I'll mount a heavy finder on it the old-fashioned way, or just plug those with small black grubs.  With a 2" x 32mm Erfle, it really doesn't need a finder, and I kinda like the simplicity of it as-is.  I did put a quick-release finder clamp on the "handle" bar -- in case I change my mind.  I can bolt a smaller weight to it if I need the eyepiece up higher.

• steve t, deepwoods1, walter a and 2 others like this

#7202 Lemmon714

Lemmon714

Vostok 1

• Loc: SE PA, 19044

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:20 PM

I purchased a Parks hybrid diagonal with the intent on using it with a couple of my classics.  I did a minor clean on the diagonal since there was some dust in it.  No oils, fingerprints, or other nasties so it was an easy prep for use.  I did a test fit to make sure it will fit in the visual back.  I am preparing to do a "Dueling 50mm's" this weekend with my Swifts.  My last few nights have been cloudy skies and rain.  I am anticipating a clear night tomorrow.  I arranged some of my TV plossls with my Takahashi orthos and a Celestron Kellner.  The 819 will get the 0.965" eyepieces and the 838 will get the hybrid diagonal and the 1.25" eyepieces.  The eyepieces are all very close so I am expecting an equal comparison.  If everything works well, I think the next purchase will be a Tak 1.25" visual back.

IMG_6509.jpeg

For all you keen eyed viewers, I haven't done a full introduction to the scope in the case.  Hopefully this weekend I can do a little write up.

I purchased an old finder scope (Looks lie a Unitron) to attach to the 819.  This scope has no finder or peep sights.  Other than the color, I think it looks like a nice addition to the scope.  No holes to be drilled onto the OTA- I'll start looking for some rings or an equivalent mounting device.  I haven't had a chance to clean the finder as it arrived today and I just returned from Cross Country practice with my son.

IMG_6511.jpeg IMG_6512.jpeg

No free plugs for the vendor- I ordered some Fig Balsamic vinegar and the foam shipper is just the right size to cover the objective lens.  I have two of these and the other one is covering my other scope.

• steve t, deepwoods1, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#7203 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 10 September 2022 - 12:13 PM

There are little nightmares and there are big nightmares.

Eyepiece cleaning is not ether, its a interesting project that demands you kick it up a

notch in the brain dept. especially memory. Write down everything as you go.

The blower brush is a important tool. I don't use the brush at all, or the blower/brush.

The blower I would have trouble doing this job without it.

My new spanner wrench I can highly recommend. The box says nothing and I don't remember the 

seller, its easily recognizable I should think, and I know it was a ebay store, may have

been from China.

Robert

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 10 September 2022 - 12:16 PM.

• tim53, deepwoods1, icomet and 7 others like this

#7204 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Davisville, MO

Posted 10 September 2022 - 12:22 PM

Robert, I own a similar imported kit.   "Neewer" I believe is its brand name.

In addition to the six knurled knobs shown above, included with it are

some cap screws that are tightened by (supplied) hex wrenches.  

When working on larger spans (up to 4"?), it might be wise to use them. 

IMPORTANT: Use the knurled knobs only to adjust the wrench, then -

one at a time - remove them and clinch down tightly with the

socket-head cap screws and set screws....

Edited by Bob Myler, 10 September 2022 - 12:46 PM.

• tim53, clamchip, Michael Covington and 3 others like this

#7205 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 10 September 2022 - 12:25 PM

[...]

My new spanner wrench I can highly recommend. The box says nothing and I don't remember the seller, its easily recognizable I should think, and I know it was a ebay store, may have been from China.

Robert

FWIW, your spanner looks identical to the "Neewer" branded device I purchased from amazon:  https://www.amazon.c...uct/B0734PH87W/   ... I do not recall having compared amazon's price to ebay sellers' asking prices.

Hope this helps,

-- Jim

• tim53 and clamchip like this

#7206 Jehujones

Jehujones

Apollo

• Loc: Simi Valley, CA.

Posted 10 September 2022 - 04:00 PM

Robert, I own a similar imported kit.   "Neewer" I believe is its brand name.

In addition to the six knurled knobs shown above, included with it are

some cap screws that are tightened by (supplied) hex wrenches.  

When working on larger spans (up to 4"?), it might be wise to use them. 

IMPORTANT: Use the knurled knobs only to adjust the wrench, then -

one at a time - remove them and clinch down tightly with the

socket-head cap screws and set screws....

Thanks for the intel Bob, I was wondering what the screws were for

#7207 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 11 September 2022 - 11:37 AM

I'm slowly working my way through this finery.

The prism erector case is cracked. Superglue is a match made in heaven for Bakelite so it's now

going to get 24 hrs before I touch it.

The eyepiece turret's stop is a little off, I'll clean it up and check the indexing mekagnizum to

be sure nothings worn and needs a touch-up with a file or what not.

The guide scope is done and what a fine little 40mm x 500mm. Fully baffled, coated air spaced objective.

The guide scope cross hairs are missing, the holder is there but no hairs. I might try spider web for this

one. I've read it works great. The spiders have perfected their web material, so unaffected by temp and

humidity swings.

The guide scope tube protectors are smart. Felt lined aluminum rings anodized green to match

the green felt. With these sliding-style protectors you can move the guider out of the way if not being

used. I'm going to use it as a finder on the right along with the scope's finder on the left.

Robert

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

• deepwoods1, mdowns, Marc-Andre and 5 others like this

#7208 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 11 September 2022 - 02:32 PM

I'm slowly working my way through this finery.

The prism erector case is cracked. Superglue is a match made in heaven for Bakelite so it's now

going to get 24 hrs before I touch it.

The eyepiece turret's stop is a little off, I'll clean it up and check the indexing mekagnizum to

be sure nothings worn and needs a touch-up with a file or what not.

The guide scope is done and what a fine little 40mm x 500mm. Fully baffled, coated air spaced objective.

The guide scope cross hairs are missing, the holder is there but no hairs. I might try spider web for this

one. I've read it works great. The spiders have perfected their web material, so unaffected by temp and

humidity swings.

The guide scope tube protectors are smart. Felt lined aluminum rings anodized green to match

the green felt. With these sliding-style protectors you can move the guider out of the way if not being

used. I'm going to use it as a finder on the right along with the scope's finder on the left.

Robert

attachicon.gifIMG_0924.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0929.jpg

All very good but what the heck is it?

#7209 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 11 September 2022 - 02:55 PM

All very good but what the heck is it?

It's a Sears 6345.

I found it posted at a yard sale on offerup.

Being a yard sale I had to get myself there quick, which I did.

When I drove up there it was it was, like a dream really. 

It belonged to her dad who bought it new.

When you think about it, a Sears 6345 new was $500 ($4000 today) and

with a Sears payment plan you could buy this magnificent 

telescope and pay peanuts a month. I nice way to acquire a

very serious instrument.

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 11 September 2022 - 02:59 PM.

• deepwoods1, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#7210 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 11 September 2022 - 03:00 PM

It's a Sears 6345.

I miss Sears!  Did you get a complete kit??

#7211 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 11 September 2022 - 03:05 PM

I'm missing the counterweights and counterweight shaft.

And the drive motor.

Its pretty rough  but definitely salvageable. 

The tube mounting rings are both broken too. Welding aluminum is

beyond what I'm capable of, I'll hire a pro welder for this job.

In the mean time it is on my Cave mount.

Robert

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 11 September 2022 - 03:10 PM.

• tim53, deepwoods1, icomet and 11 others like this

#7212 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 September 2022 - 03:12 PM

It's a Sears 6345.

I found it posted at a yard sale on offerup.

Being a yard sale I had to get myself there quick, which I did.

When I drove up there it was it was, like a dream really. 

It belonged to her dad who bought it new.

When you think about it, a Sears 6345 new was $500 ($4000 today) and

with a Sears payment plan you could buy this magnificent 

telescope and pay peanuts a month. I nice way to acquire a

very serious instrument.

Robert

Holy cow! I was confused thinking the guide scope was the main OTA (maybe a 60mm), and didn't understand the rings on it.

• clamchip likes this

#7213 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 11 September 2022 - 03:47 PM

Interesting...  The oldest Astro Optical catalog I have is from 1969, latest is 1986.  I don't see a Royal model equivalent to the 6345...

But, in 1969 edition, there's the Royal R-83, an 80x600 Semi-APO Triplet -- haven't seen one of these on ZEN.

#7214 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 11 September 2022 - 05:22 PM

Here's my 6345 I owned years ago. I'm posting it so everyone can see what this model looks like.

It's 90mm x 1400mm  f/15.5

Robert

post-50896-0-74769700-1602686697.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 11 September 2022 - 05:24 PM.

• tim53, CCD-Freak, deepwoods1 and 10 others like this

#7215 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 11 September 2022 - 06:40 PM

For the New Classic Scope Nutz:  That Astro Optical 40x500 guide-scope on the Sears Model 6345 was bundled with some other models, too.  DPAC testing by myself & others confirm AO put at least in as much care & quality-control as their other scopes.  When I tested my Lafayette Galactic, an AO 76x910 refractor, its 40mm g-s had as great a pattern as the larger refractor -- something I didn't expect.  IOW:  You can rely on the optical quality of just about any AO scope that comes up for sale (assuming no damage to the components).

• clamchip likes this

#7216 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 September 2022 - 01:17 AM

You can rely on the optical quality of just about any AO scope that comes up for sale (assuming no damage to the components).

I don't have a ton of experience with them and have three other old unmarked scopes that might be AOs, but when I installed a 7TE-5 objective (definitley an AO product) in the Soligor I slowly and quietly said to myself, wow.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and jkmccarthy like this

#7217 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:15 AM

Finished sanding down the Edmund Voyager and got it masked for repainting, so it can be the finder for its larger sibling. Just need some dry weather (maybe later this week).

Mounted the 2" focuser on the Edmund 4". The tension knob isn't holding, so I suspect that the internal block has slipped. I'll need to take it apart and fix it. Then I'll collimate the focuser.

Ordered a 5" OD x 0.125" wall x 12" pipe from Intake Hoses, which I hope to turn into a better (longer, more stable) dew shield. Still working out a design for mounting it that won't require removing the (hard to collimate) objective cell, while enabling it to retract, and giving me the 7.5" extension beyond the cell that it should have. 

Chip W. 

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#7218 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: The girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Posted 12 September 2022 - 03:39 PM

In preparation for colder nights in the months ahead, today I replaced the Agena Astro GLP on my TV Genesis SDF with a Z-bolt GLP good down to 14° F. The scope is also equipped with a Telrad RDF. Between the GLP and RDF on the scope which is mounted on a TV Gibralter Alt-az fork mount, and my Oberwerk 12x60 binos in hand, it’s a cinch to go to most anything within the 4” scope’s reach with an easy star hop.

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#7219 norvegicus

norvegicus

Vanguard

• Loc: 46° 31’

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:18 PM

I 3D printed a pier adapter for a Vixen Porta II mount for the pier that I built using the old Edmund legs that Terra gave me a while back.

I also 3D printed glow in the dark slow motion knobs.

Here it is with a modern scope, my FS-60QQ.

pieradapter.jpg

pierfs60QQ.jpg

Edited by norvegicus, 12 September 2022 - 07:19 PM.

• steve t, deepwoods1, mdowns and 7 others like this

#7220 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: The girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Posted 12 September 2022 - 08:11 PM

I 3D printed a pier adapter for a Vixen Porta II mount for the pier that I built using the old Edmund legs that Terra gave me a while back.

I also 3D printed glow in the dark slow motion knobs.

Here it is with a modern scope, my FS-60QQ.

attachicon.gifpieradapter.jpg

attachicon.gifpierfs60QQ.jpg

Your Pier looks great Sean!

• norvegicus likes this

#7221 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:30 PM

Today I put my Jaegers 4 inch on my Cave mount.

Its more than it sounds, it took me all morning. Many trips to the upstairs and fiddling with

rings and weights.

I'm also using my special "Zenith Finder" as we all know they make RA finders but mine I

can get under it being so far up the tube and I like the red dot it blends right in with the 

stars when it's this far from your face.

I love the Jaegers red knobs but I like my Glam Knobs because the knurl is so sharp you

can really relax your grip, the knurl is like sharks teeth. I bought these from Radio Shack

before they closed but I've seen plenty on ebay. Stereo knobs is where most are listed.

Robert

IMG_0940.jpg

post-50896-0-61747400-1615057316.jpg

• Grava T, steve t, Marc-Andre and 7 others like this

#7222 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 13 September 2022 - 06:19 PM

Here's the whole kit.

It's a little nose heavy because there's no optical finder to even things out. Normally the telescope

has a more balanced look on the mount, more pleasing to the eye.

This poor Cave mount, it goes from short pier to tall pier and back again, gets all kinds of telescopes attached to it.

Its a great mounting, one of my favorites. 

Robert

IMG_0941.jpg

• Grava T, steve t, deepwoods1 and 10 others like this

#7223 norvegicus

norvegicus

Vanguard

Posted 13 September 2022 - 08:14 PM

I cleaned up the Eikow "SkyHawk 360" 60mm f/5 and put it in the ADM guide ring set I got for it that will let it mount on the top rail of my C9.25 as a finder/guide scope.

It cleaned up real nice.  It is impressively and precisely manufactured.  There is one very nice baffle in the tiny tube and it's nicely flocked.  The exterior paint polished up easily with modern automotive polish.

I put a Baader M43x0.75 to T-thread adapter ring on it and a 1.25" compression ring visual back.  I can switch out the two spacers on the drawtube for different functions.

Attached Thumbnails

• eikow.jpg

• steve t, deepwoods1, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#7224 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 14 September 2022 - 02:13 PM

Sneak peak at the color scheme for the "Colorado Chainsaw Massacre"

scope, still under resurrection. 

Clear Skies. 

Attached Thumbnails

• pier and cell.jpg

• CCD-Freak, steve t, mikerepp and 2 others like this

#7225 norvegicus

norvegicus

Vanguard

Posted 14 September 2022 - 06:02 PM

Getting some surprise kind-of-clear-ish weather.  Mounted the ~1960s (?) Eikow SkyHawk 360 to my 2014 Takahashi FS-60QQ for a battle of the 60s and the ages.  Focal lengths are 300mm and 1020mm respectively.  I roughly aligned them on a distant tree and already figured out this drawtube spacer is too long on the Eikow and swapped it out for the shorter one.  It's possible I'll need to take this one out too for infinity.

battleofthe60s.jpg

Edited by norvegicus, 14 September 2022 - 06:31 PM.

• steve t, semlin, oldmanastro and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics