•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
9073 replies to this topic

#8276 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 28 November 2023 - 09:02 PM

I don't have enough in-focus after adjusting my project LOMO Mak to use my prism erector.

A simple and effective solution is use these Criterion B&L eyepieces here that Rainy Day is

showing us. They will give you another 1/2 inch or so.

These eyepieces are really different, definitely old school, easy to clean. I think they are a

Plossl. I have ASP 30mm, ASP 18mm, and ASP 12.7mm. This will be a good set for when I

use my erector. And a good eyepiece if you don't have enough in-focus, sure beats shorting

your tube.

Robert

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1779.JPG

• deSitter, tim53, mdowns and 6 others like this

#8277 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: There’s Trouble in River City!

Posted 29 November 2023 - 11:18 AM

I had a set of those! (Sold them.) I liked my Galocs better, (sold them too!). Both the Criterion ASPs and the Galocs were wonderful in my old 4” F15 Edmund refractor, (also sold bawling.gif ).

• clamchip, steve t and Exnihilo like this

#8278 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 29 November 2023 - 06:43 PM

These Criterion's are rather nice. I've been out with them and I like them.

I have more to try out, a 16.3mm Erfle, and this 6mm Orthoscopic.

They sure are a life saver because now I can use my prism erector with Grub.

The Mercedes symbol on these eyepieces is Eikow. I wonder what else they

made. Cave and Criterion finders, eyepieces, I think I've seen this symbol on

Edmund optics including their zoom, I wonder what else. Their mechanical

quality is very high, beautiful work. And I'm finding optical quality

is up there too, a bit antiquated feeling and using (nothing wrong with that) but

crisp and sharp. They would be perfect for an old brass telescope.

Grub is shown with a TeleVue 26mm, I can no longer use it since I corrected

the mirror separation.

Robert

post-50896-0-75821800-1676045463_thumb.jpg

IMG_1745.JPG

Edited by clamchip, 29 November 2023 - 06:53 PM.

• deSitter, CCD-Freak, steve t and 5 others like this

#8279 fullthrottle_man

fullthrottle_man

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2023 - 10:39 PM

I had to tear apart the drive system on my Dynamax today. I had it out last night and the RA drive quit tracking and the slow motion knob could spin and not move anything. Thankfully, I had a spare mount and drive system from a parts one I picked up a couple weeks ago. Had to tear both apart and ended up having to use the parts fork mount and sadly the forks also (mine are in beautiful shape and blue, the parts one was gray). But, the drive system is back to working order! Now if the clouds would just go away...
  • deSitter, steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#8280 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Gemini

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:48 PM

I found a lens that was a possible replacement for the Unitron 142 that doesn't DPAC well. A D-75mm x f=1200 Hiyokkor. I couldn't find anything like it in the registry. All the other 75mm Hiyokkors seem to be 910mm. The prior owner had it in an ATM setup with a fiberglass tube, and didn't say what scope it came from.

Hiyokkor - 1.jpeg

Unfortunately, the lens itself is actually 80mm in diameter, and it is about 18mm thick at the edge. The early U142 is 76mm x 13mm, so it won't fit. It did clean up pretty nicely, and it does DPAC well, so I think I will offer it to a student to use for a project. 

Chip W. 

• deSitter, tim53, Compressorguy and 7 others like this

#8281 ronrrm

ronrrm

Explorer 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:09 PM

I cut new foam for my OTA case, cleaned up wiring and balanced everything.

Cutting foam wasn't as easy I as I thought it would be.

#8282 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 06 December 2023 - 07:11 PM

I now have all the parts I need to assemble Celestron orange tube cords. These cords are now obsolete and

not being made anymore. I think I have bought orange tubes without cords and sold them with cords, leaving

me short cords. Since our Sean here on cloudy nights (norvegicus) 3D printed 4 plugs made from 4 different

materials I will make 4 cords and see which plug I like best. 

The female metal bits came from Digikey, 4 cords from Computer Surplus. I just remembered I still

need to pickup the M3 X 10 socket head screws with nuts from Ace hardware.

Robert

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG

Edited by clamchip, 06 December 2023 - 07:13 PM.

• deSitter, tim53, mdowns and 5 others like this

#8283 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 07 December 2023 - 04:19 PM

I finished one of my cords and found a small hiccup.

The plug fits marvelous only in doesn't seat in the socket. Rather than redesign the plug for this

'Celestron' application just put some nuts behind the socket to bring it out of the base a little further.

Now you will be OKlaugh.gif

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

• deSitter, tim53, Exnihilo and 3 others like this

#8284 norvegicus

norvegicus

Soyuz

• Loc: en route

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:37 PM

You might want longer screws too.

#8285 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 07 December 2023 - 06:17 PM

You might want longer screws too.

Yes I used longer screws. The size is 4-40 and the new length is 3/8"

Another idea is to just file the plug body on both sides so it fits down in the Celestron socket cavity, it won't take much.

The cord works excellent, a very good replacement and I think a better choice than resocketing the base with

a different more modern socket and cord.

The original cord does pop up for sale now and then and if you are lucky you might find new old stock for a good

price. I think they will get harder and harder to find because the same cord is also used in business machines, organs

computers, and others. 

Thank our lucky stars for 3D printing and someone who knows how to use it like Sean. Take good care of your

cord.

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 07 December 2023 - 06:23 PM.

• Terra Nova and jkmccarthy like this

#8286 norvegicus

norvegicus

Soyuz

Posted 07 December 2023 - 07:04 PM

Filing down 3D printed stuff usually goes poorly, because it's a hollow shell.  If you file through the shell you'll kill it.  Plus it will look like crap.

I can try changing it, but it's not my design and I don't have access to the original CAD files, just the finished model, which is not editable.  I'll look at it.

EDIT: I don't have to tools to edit that.  You could contact the original author and ask them to modify it with a longer nose for this application:

https://www.printabl...nnector-hp-oval

EDIT:  He already made a longer one, I just sleuthed it out:  https://www.thingive...m/thing:4862134  I'll print you one in polycarbonate.  It will be a couple days because I'm in the middle of printing some Christmas gifts.

Edited by norvegicus, 07 December 2023 - 07:34 PM.

• tim53 and jkmccarthy like this

#8287 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 07 December 2023 - 08:14 PM

A longer version, this must be for Celestron owners.

It's a nice plug. And with a longer snout it will be perfect for the orange tube base.

Robert

#8288 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 14 December 2023 - 07:50 PM

Sean sent me the long nose version of the plug. I assembled a cord and now we

can rest easy because we have a replacement cord. This final version is just what us Celestron owners

can use.

The instructions specify 10mm long X 3mm screws, I settled on 12mm for the screws to make it the full

length of the nut with a thread showing.

You can see the difference between the standard nose length which in our application won't seat in the

recessed socket it bottoms out on the base and not the socket. Now with the long nose version the plug

will seat in the socket, perfect just what we need.

Robert

IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_1813.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1814.JPG

• davidmcgo, deSitter, Terra Nova and 7 others like this

#8289 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 16 December 2023 - 06:06 PM

Today I assembled my Selsi 80 X 910 refractor.  I put the mount on the tripod or the first time.

And then assembled the OTA.  Overcast weather only let me look at tree leaves and branches.  I found out that the grey extension on the focuser tube needed to be removed in order to reach focus.  The image was really disappointing, and I knew the Unitron IMG_2660.jpg eyepieces were very good quality.  Turns out the diagonal prism had lots of fungus.  Previously I had cleaned the outer prism faces, and apparently it wasn't good enough.  I

took the diagonal apart and cleaned fungus off the internal face.  

Tried again on the tree leaves.  The mount was wobbly on the cement floor, the OTA was sort of loose in its saddle, and the counterweight could not be locked on the CW shaft.  More work to do.  So the decision was made to switch to ALT-AZ.  Much more stable.  And the tree leaves had wonderful detail in a bright, sharp image.

I hope to get it out at night during the next few days, and see if it is performing well optically.

The mount can be worked on during out rainy weather on the way.  I am having fun.

EDIT:  The crescent Moon called me to look at it with the Selsi.  Seeing was not too

bad and the sky was clear.  I am happy to say it performed really well on fine

detail. Especially Messier A and Messier B.  Sharp crater outlines about 1/2

way in shadow on a grey shaded plainwith white ejecta.  Still having fun.

Edited by k5apl, 16 December 2023 - 10:00 PM.

• Bomber Bob, Garyth64, Kasmos and 2 others like this

#8290 norvegicus

norvegicus

Soyuz

Posted 16 December 2023 - 10:06 PM

nice dew shield  ;)

• k5apl likes this

#8291 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Gemini

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 09:23 PM

Thanks to starman876 I have a replacement objective for the very early (no cell markings) Unitron 142. He sent a full front cell, including the counter-cell that mounts to the tube, from a straight-letter 142. The new lens is considerably thicker than the original, so it won't fit in the original cell.

The replacement counter-cell has a smaller OD for the dew shield threads, so the original dew shield just slid over them without engaging (interesting to know that Unitron used a larger dew shield on the first run of scopes). But the lens cells were interchangeable between the two counter-cells. 

Of course it's raining here, but I was able to do a quick DPAC (still need to get a better photo setup -- there's a funny edge effect, perhaps because my phone was at an angle). For reference here are the DPAC results inside and outside of focus for the original lens:

U142 DPAC original in.jpeg   U142 DPAC original out.jpeg

And here is the inside and outside test for the new lens:

U142 DPAC New in.jpeg   U142 DPAC New out.jpeg

Considerably smoother, maybe a little overcorrected. Looking forward to giving it a star test. 

Chip W. 

• deSitter, tim53, mdowns and 2 others like this

#8292 kjkrum

kjkrum

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 18 December 2023 - 11:51 AM

I recently found a Jason 50/600 that I intend to use for solar. I made some rings out of pipe hangers and looked at a few targets last night. Unfortunately I have very few .965 EPs, and the ones I do have mostly need disassembly and cleaning. So with only a 40mm Meade and 12.5mm H, I looked at Jupiter and M42. It didn't look very good, so I did some star testing. Maybe the lens retainer is wrenched down too tight, because I see rounded triangular rings on one side of focus and three spikes on the other.

#8293 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 18 December 2023 - 03:13 PM

I recently found a Jason 50/600 that I intend to use for solar. I made some rings out of pipe hangers and looked at a few targets last night. Unfortunately I have very few .965 EPs, and the ones I do have mostly need disassembly and cleaning. So with only a 40mm Meade and 12.5mm H, I looked at Jupiter and M42. It didn't look very good, so I did some star testing. Maybe the lens retainer is wrenched down too tight, because I see rounded triangular rings on one side of focus and three spikes on the other.

That's severe pinching. Easy to fix.

-drl

#8294 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 19 December 2023 - 11:33 AM

I was up in hobbyland and I'm down to 2 Celestron orange C8's. My sandcast, and a C8 that has never

been touched since it left the factory in 1980. I have all the catalogs and receipts for it, and all the accessories

he purchased at the same time. He bought everything in the catalog and more, and it's all brand new, just

like it was made and purchased yesterday. Everything is in original packaging.

I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. I haven't even looked thru it, and after 15 years I probably never will.

I should take some pictures to share this astonishing time capsule.

Last night my thought was to break it up and sell the vast number of accessories individually, I've since changed

my mind, this all should remain together and with it's documentation. 

I'm wondering if Celestron would be interested in this package for their showroom, I don't want it in my closet

anymore. I guess I'll give Celestron a call. I hope Celestron has a showroom, it seems a bit old fashion, I have

a feeling Celestron is still the kind of company that will.

Here's Celestron headquarters, still in the same building:

https://www.youtube....h?v=vj3QJ-i5cVA

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 19 December 2023 - 11:47 AM.

• deSitter, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#8295 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 19 December 2023 - 01:12 PM

I was up in hobbyland and I'm down to 2 Celestron orange C8's. My sandcast, and a C8 that has never

been touched since it left the factory in 1980. I have all the catalogs and receipts for it, and all the accessories

he purchased at the same time. He bought everything in the catalog and more, and it's all brand new, just

I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. I haven't even looked thru it, and after 15 years I probably never will.

Robert

Since you use your sandcast C8, why not leave the pristine 1980 model. Don’t open it and take it out. Seal it up with instructions to the future owner that it not be opened until 2080. Then it will be an even more astonishing time capsule!

• deSitter, clamchip and Bomber Bob like this

#8296 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 19 December 2023 - 02:19 PM

Last night my thought was to break it up and sell the vast number of accessories individually, I've since changed

my mind, this all should remain together and with it's documentation. 

I'm wondering if Celestron would be interested in this package for their showroom, I don't want it in my closet

anymore. I guess I'll give Celestron a call. I hope Celestron has a showroom, it seems a bit old fashion, I have

a feeling Celestron is still the kind of company that will.

Here's Celestron headquarters, still in the same building:

https://www.youtube....h?v=vj3QJ-i5cVA

Robert

I visited Celestron last Dec. 21 to take some photos of my '74 C5 and they gave me a an unplanned quicky tour.

The lobby does have sort of a very small showroom,

but from what I've heard, a hard core collector would be a more likely canidate.

Lobby

https://www.cloudyni...ice/?p=12397828

• deSitter, clamchip, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#8297 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 19 December 2023 - 03:09 PM

HQ lobby could use a 1980 model I see. I think a hard core collector might be best because the accessories

on display with it will make it a headache to dust. It has an accessory shelf in the legs and and all the orange

electronic controller boxes and such go there with their wires and doodads.  

I was just upstairs looking it over and it is just amazing. I don't want to even expose it to light. I have barrowed

a few of the filters, nice ones for the visual port I think. I was careful with them, just for my bench testing, the

red, green and blue.

My sandcast C8 has seen some use. What a heavy brut! the sandcast is much heavier. I've read the sand

castings do a better job with vibration, I suppose so.

I ran the drive on the sandcast, quiet as a church mouse. But then the drives on these old orange tubes are

always quiet, I think this mouse must be wearing slippers!

I have two beautiful examples here, the last of my C8's. I wish I still owned my C14, will I be making the same

mistake? more than likely yes. I have got to do something, the clock is ticking and I'm not getting younger.

Robert 

• deSitter and Bomber Bob like this

#8298 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 19 December 2023 - 03:18 PM

HQ lobby could use a 1980 model I see. I think a hard core collector might be best because the accessories

on display with it will make it a headache to dust. It has an accessory shelf in the legs and and all the orange

I was just upstairs looking it over and it is just amazing. I don't want to even expose it to light. I have barrowed

a few of the filters, nice ones for the visual port I think. I was careful with them, just for my bench testing, the

red, green and blue.

My sandcast C8 has seen some use. What a heavy brut! the sandcast is much heavier. I've read the sand

I ran the drive on the sandcast, quiet as a church mouse. But then the drives on these old orange tubes are

I have two beautiful examples here, the last of my C8's. I wish I still owned my C14, will I be making the same

mistake? more than likely yes. I have got to do something, the clock is ticking and I'm not getting younger.

Robert 

You no longer have the repainted C5?

#8299 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 19 December 2023 - 03:24 PM

red, green and blue.

Robert 

Church mouse? What about Santa Mouse?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8937.jpeg

• clamchip and Bomber Bob like this

#8300 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 19 December 2023 - 03:26 PM

The repainted C5 yes I still have it. The one retired from the Pacific Science Center here in Seattle.

I wish it had an hour meter on it, it would be way up there! it still works excellent. Yesterday I put it back together and took these photos. I was using the optical tube on a altazimuth.

Robert

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG

Edited by clamchip, 19 December 2023 - 03:32 PM.

• deSitter, tturtle, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics