•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your Scope/Mount Today?

• Please log in to reply
5359 replies to this topic

#101 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Right brain, Left Coast

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

I painted a finder bracket for a tasco 40mm solar scope, and keep contemplating a tabletop eq build for it...
Trying to channel Sam Brown while staring at a broken aluminum Razor scooter my hubby brought home....all the parts are there, just the wrong configuration...

Edited by Vesper818, 03 July 2015 - 06:16 PM.

• rcwolpert likes this

#102 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:37 PM

Those Mayflowers and their relatives are truly lovely scopes. Simple and elegant, and just the right size! Great restoration!

Edited by Vesper818, 04 July 2015 - 10:04 PM.

• Mr Magoo, astro140, Mike E. and 2 others like this

#103 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:18 PM

In anticipation of a new ( to me ) OTA arriving soon, I dug out our extra T-mount and tripod today. After relubing the mount's slow motion controls, I decided to make up a couple of spreaders chains for use instead of the triangular plates to provide the same footprint of the tripods when they are lowered for viewing while seated. Awhile back I was able to salvaged some quality nickel plated chain from a 1940s bed frame, and along with several stainless swiveling D-rings scavanged from my ancient Kelty backpack put them together today. Here are a couple of photos.

Edit: Yeah, works great, I'm happy with that.  :smile:

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0002 (Small).JPG
  • PICT0003 (Small).JPG

Edited by Mike E., 05 July 2015 - 12:22 PM.

• Vesper818, Terra Nova and rcwolpert like this

#104 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

I drilled the focuser mounting holes in the tube for a 40mm f/19.7 refractor build, which uses an old-stock Edmund objective.  Turning a cell in the mini-lathe now.  A test-mule mock-up to evaluate the imagery and determine OTA length demonstrated a very sharp lens and excellent color correction.  It's probably an old government surplus objective.  I have the tiny manilla envelope it came in, with a 4-digit stock number.  It's old.

#105 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:08 PM

Where did you get it??

#106 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:29 PM

My project today was to replace the old Novak secondary holder on my Obsession 15" classic with an Astro Systems holder.  Much easier to adjust rotation since the spider doesn't have enough offset for the stock Novak from my scope.  It would always keep fighting to spring back due to the standoff for one of the tilt screws being pressed against a spider vane.

The 15" Obsession is a bit of a challenge to align since the upper cage and diagonal are both a bit towards undersized, so it took several attempts alternating between a sight tube, autocollimator, and laser and Barlow to get all the tools to agree and to still see all three mirror clips and spider end lugs stay visible with my eye centered in the autocollimator all the way to fully racked out on the focuser. 

Of course, now that I have finished, the marine layer clouds are already creeping over my sky and sunset is still a couple of hours away.  Guess it'll be a movie night.

Dave

#107 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

Where did you get it??

The objective?  From Edmund.  Sometime in the mid-70s, if memory serves.

My only one, unfortunately.   One of those things I wish I'd  bought a dozen of.

Today I got the cell machined.  Still have to make the lens retaining ring and dewcap. 

#108 fjs

fjs

Cosmos

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, les √Čtats-Unis

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:40 PM

I drilled the focuser mounting holes in the tube for a 40mm f/19.7 refractor build, which uses an old-stock Edmund objective.  Turning a cell in the mini-lathe now.  A test-mule mock-up to evaluate the imagery and determine OTA length demonstrated a very sharp lens and excellent color correction.  It's probably an old government surplus objective.  I have the tiny manilla envelope it came in, with a 4-digit stock number.  It's old.

You are taking pictures and planning a write-up? :fingerscrossed:

#109 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

+1!!! :-)

#110 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:31 PM

Today, I brought out from the back of the garage, the Mizar 100mm 1000mm f/10 Reflector I picked up at least 4 years ago.  Contemplating what to do with it.  It needs an overhaul...IMG_3752.JPG

It's basically complete except for missing two of the metal tripod tips and the knob for the Dec Shaft lock.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#111 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:38 PM

Ok, sure.  I'll try and get some pics posted tomorrow of the work done so far.

Once again I'm using a re-purposed Tasco focuser,  machined to fit a 1.75" OD aluminum tube, 24.5 inches long.  Stay tuned.

• fjs likes this

#112 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:35 PM

Today, I brought out from the back of the garage, the Mizar 100mm 1000mm f/10 Reflector I picked up at least 4 years ago.  Contemplating what to do with it.  It needs an overhaul...attachicon.gifIMG_3752.JPG

It's basically complete except for missing two of the metal tripod tips and the knob for the Dec Shaft lock.

Looking at the forecast, you have until the weekend to dust it off.

#113 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:45 PM

Once again I'm using a re-purposed Tasco focuser

You go through some Tasco focusers don't you!!!   ;)

#114 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:55 AM

You go through some Tasco focusers don't you!!!   ;)

The Tasco focuser on the 6TE & 66TE is well-suited to 40mm scopes.  The base has enough material to machine down to fit a 45mm tube (or 1.75" if you can't find metric tubing) and it's a nice focuser.  There seem to be lots of basket case part-donor Tasco 50mm out there.  If the objective is nice on the 50mm, I can replace the focuser with a 1.25" while I steal the stock .965" unit.

Unfortunately there just isn't quite enough room inside a 45mm tube to fit a 1.25" focuser with an external rack.  Still working on that problem.

Only really done this about three times (so-far).  There are two more 40mm Classic OTA conversions I want to try soon, then I'll probably be done with this avenue for a while.  One is an astro configuration for the 40mm Asahi Jupiter objective.  That is one nice lens.  Freed from the erecting system, it will make a nice little true astro scope.

#115 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

One of remachined focusers, Chuck did for my Tasco 4vte, and transforms a narrow classic into a very usable scope.
Thank you, Chuck!
  • DreamWeaver likes this

#116 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

One of remachined focusers, Chuck did for my Tasco 4vte, and transforms a narrow classic into a very usable scope.
Thank you, Chuck!

You are quite welcome, it was my pleasure.  It needs to be pointed-out that I was not the source of the focuser, I just turned-down the base to fit the new tube.  The focuser was supplied by Charlie B, wasn't it, Carol?

#117 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:26 PM

Yep! Thank you Charlie, for the lensless Tasco, organ doner to 2 small refractors!

#118 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:29 AM

Up in the ATM forum - what did you work on today thread -  I posted photos of the new secondary holder I have built for my Cave 10"/6.  I couldn't figure out whether I should post it here or there, but decided because it's new, and I built it, it's vaguely more atm than restoration.....

• Terra Nova likes this

#119 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:12 AM

I think stories about the construction ATMed parts used in the restoration of a classic scope best belong here! We are all about Classics! ;)
  • roscoe and kansas skies like this

#120 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:15 AM

Well said!

So after further contemplation, I cut the tabs off my secondary holder for the Cave rebuild, as I decided they looked dumb, and would probably add to all sorts of weird artifacts in the image, and am going to use the silicone solution.....

so here's the secondary holder described upstairs in the ATM forum, except now it has no tabs, is painted, but now needs another coat of paint to cover the mods.....

DSCN0941.JPG

• KentTolley, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#121 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

I wish someone would make an affordable series of secondary holders like Novak used to, with a continuous rim instead of tabs.   Somebody who could reliably deliver on-time.  Or at all.  You know who I'm talking about.

I miss Ken Novak's products and service.  Yes, collimating could be tricky, but it was possible, and at least you got what you ordered in a timely manner.

• KentTolley, rcwolpert and Bomber Bob like this

#122 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

Chuck those worked too well so no one makes them anymore.

I always thought The Optical Craftsman "no metal touching mirror" fiberglass holders with a tiny continuous rim were a great idea, and I got to where I really liked 4 collimation screws too.

Glowy checked all the fasteners on my Cave and he said everything is hunky dory. Glowy has a vise-like grip and he's very careful with his favorite scope.

Robert

Attached Thumbnails

• fifties Cave 063.JPG

Edited by actionhac, 08 July 2015 - 10:19 AM.

• KentTolley, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#123 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

I got a pair of hinged aluminum rings & dovetail for my beloved Edna (Edmund 4" f/15) -- nothing's too good for her!  They work with her original mount, but also give me the option of putting her on one of those new-fangled (made within the last 20 years) mounts -- but NEVER on a go-to!

• Terra Nova and rcwolpert like this

#124 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

After checking over our new to us Telementor OTA  which arrived today, I noted several small scratches on the tube and temporarily touched them up with correction fluid.  It will look better in the dark.  :grin:

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention, it's a Telementor 1   :smile:  

Edited by Mike E., 08 July 2015 - 04:30 PM.

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#125 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:12 PM

I wish someone would make an affordable series of secondary holders like Novak used to, with a continuous rim instead of tabs.   Somebody who could reliably deliver on-time.  Or at all.  You know who I'm talking about.

I miss Ken Novak's products and service.  Yes, collimating could be tricky, but it was possible, and at least you got what you ordered in a timely manner.

Astro Systems makes really nice holders with continuous rim for Newtonian and Cassegrain secondaries.  He is pretty quick too!

Dave

Edited by davidmcgo, 10 July 2015 - 10:13 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics