•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

If you want to Master your craft, read Lessons from the Masters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AstroDad

AstroDad

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: TX

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

Lessons from the Masters: Current Concepts in Astronomical Image Processing (Springer, 2013.) edited by Robert Gendler is an essential addition to library of every serious astrophotographer. Gendler, who edited this 387 page work is himself a Master of the art and science of astrophotography with a rich portfolio of astrophoto accolades and achievements, including 107 NASA APOD selections. Gendler is a physician by profession and therefore technically an "amateur" astronomer. However he routinely teams with the world's leading professional observatories to create masterful images from their exquisite data sets.

Click here to view the article

#2 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

I agree, its a great book, recommend it for any astrophotograpghers

#3 aorion314

aorion314

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Elk Grove Ca

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:05 AM

aorion314 here, any idea as to cost of book?

#4 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:50 AM

$40 at Amazon.com

#5 crgood2

crgood2

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:35 PM

Agree about the first chapter... Have the book and read the first chapter about three months ago.  Haven't picked it up since because of it, but probably will start again

#6 jlmanatee

jlmanatee

Mariner 2

• Loc: SE Minnesota

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:23 AM

I'm two pages into the first chapter.  To understand just those first two pages, I've had to go back and study binomial and Poisson distribution functions, brush up on my long-dead math and stats skills and attempt to understand the quantum theory of light.  Those double-slit diffraction experiments in college are coming back to haunt me.  A tough slog for a dolt like myself, but I'm almost ready to understand the Poisson noise equation.  But what else am I going to do on these cold winter nights.  

• Iksobarg likes this

#7 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:13 PM

The first chapter I think was for the Steven Hawkings of astronomy. Not for me. But the rest is a good read. You need to be working in real time with the programs that are used in this book. I'd find it hard to not glean the information just by reading alone.

A "lighter" more recent publication comes from the United Kingdom's "Astronomy Now" publication, "Shooting Stars". To me it is a much more "user friendly" approach to astrophotography. I purchased it at a local newsstand in January, 2015.
  • Iksobarg likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics