•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can we talk seriously about flat/dark/bias frames?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#76 Clete

Clete

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tomball, TX

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

I read this entire thread wanting to,learn what the heck I should be doing, but it’s like reading a calculus textbook for the first time. Are there any detailed instructions, guide, manual, ie, that would step by step take the images thru DSS start to finish providing info such as on this thread. DSS guide doesn’t really cover what has been hashed here on this thread. Using 4ti on 10”lx200, focal reducer, zwo290mc guider. Now I’ve got a headache.

There are some excellent videos on YouTube on this. Search for Astrobackyard and watch his video on shooting flat frames and then watch every other video he's ever made.

Edited by Clete, 23 January 2019 - 01:37 PM.

#77 Clete

Clete

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tomball, TX

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:37 PM

I have a question about shooting bias frames.

I've been taking a bunch of bias frames while sitting here in the house because I was under the impression that temperature is irrelevant to bias frames and thus there is no need to take them during every image session. I can take a bunch, make a master for each ISO setting and then I'm good on bias frames for months, if not years.

But now I've got some people telling me that temperature does matter when taking bias frames.

So which is it? Does temperature matter when taking bias frames or not?

This is, by far, the most informative thread in existence on the subject of calibration frames and so I created an account specfically for the purpose of asking this question.

Incidentally, I use a Canon EOS SL2 DSLR, if that matters.

Clete

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics