•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New apm 100 mm 90 degree ed apo binocular

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
179 replies to this topic

#51 Val'Easy

Val'Easy

Vendor Val'Easy Cases

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

Ok and thank you very much !

That is a rich prismatic explanation ;) :grin:

#52 JMW

JMW

Skylab

• -----

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:18 AM

Any idea when Lunt will start selling these in the US? I figure it will take me a while to save up for these anyway.

I have a pair of Pan 24mm and Denk 21mm eyepieces. I would probably need to get a least one higher power pair. 

Edited by JMW, 27 January 2015 - 12:22 AM.

#53 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:00 AM

Any idea when Lunt will start selling these in the US? I figure it will take me a while to save up for these anyway.

I have a pair of Pan 24mm and Denk 21mm eyepieces. I would probably need to get a least one higher power pair. 

I just asked about his other new offering - the 140ED Scope:

http://www.cloudynig...info/?p=6409426

Might have to to go through same process but not sure.

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 27 January 2015 - 01:02 AM.

#54 maburas

maburas

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

I wonder if there will be the third straight through model that was talked about? There is probably a whole other group of daytime large bino enthusiasts we never cross paths with on this website.  Maritime use, surveying, etc. 

Probably a lot of reasons a straight through would work for daytime use. 

I could see all three types coexisting nicely on the market. 

I personally am very interested in the possibility of mounting a straight-through model on a Starchair. I'm not really that knowledgeable when it comes to the practicalities of big binoculars (never owned anything bigger than 70mm) so I don't know if it would be possible to mount a BT (although a starchair can handle a fujinon with a special adapter), and I'm also not sure how much wobbling you would get at high powers (andresin150 mentioned having this issue with his 40x150 fujinons), but if this was a workable possibility I would be very interested. Anybody here know how practical an idea this would be?

#55 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

I wonder if there will be the third straight through model that was talked about? There is probably a whole other group of daytime large bino enthusiasts we never cross paths with on this website.  Maritime use, surveying, etc. 

I personally am very interested in the possibility of mounting a straight-through model on a Starchair. I'm not really that knowledgeable when it comes to the practicalities of big binoculars (never owned anything bigger than 70mm) so I don't know if it would be possible to mount a BT (although a starchair can handle a fujinon with a special adapter), and I'm also not sure how much wobbling you would get at high powers (andresin150 mentioned having this issue with his 40x150 fujinons), but if this was a workable possibility I would be very interested. Anybody here know how practical an idea this would be?

If you have all that expense and weight of a starchair, I would think you want 150mm binos.  100mm and below are more portable and don't require a starchair.

#56 trener

trener

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:21 PM

http://www.binomania...on-prismi-a-90/

#57 maburas

maburas

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:29 AM

If you have all that expense and weight of a starchair, I would think you want 150mm binos.  100mm and below are more portable and don't require a starchair.

That's true, but as far as I know there are no high quality 150mm APO BTs on the market (and if there were I'm guessing they'll be about 3 times as expensive). You could also argue the same thing about portability in reference to say, 70 or 80mm binos. Of course they're portable, but it's still much more comfortable to use them with a Starchair I would think (no neck strain, constant repointing etc).

Anybody else able to shed some on how feasible this is?

#58 dezzie

dezzie

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

https://www.facebook...92896386&type=1

#59 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

Still want a view down the ep focusers.....

This is the 45 degree version.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0406.jpg
  • IMG_0404.jpg

Edited by Mr. Bill, 02 February 2015 - 06:53 PM.

#60 Val'Easy

Val'Easy

Vendor Val'Easy Cases

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:49 AM

Hi,

Here are the pictures of my 45° version with 21.5 mm rear aperture stop :

http://valeasy.fr/ac...ue.php?page=110

Markus Ludes says it is the one that gives less fingernails, less stray light and thus provides a higher contrast, especially near bright objects. Indeed the contrast of my APM 100-45 apo is awesome!

It causes a bit vignetting in my Panoptics 24 but it must be necessarily visible also with 23 mm or without rear stop aperture, given the big field stop of Pan' 24 (of course with gradual effect).

On the other hand I have no the ghost images or glare reflections as there seems to be with full 25mm rear prism aperture.

Emmanuel

Edited by Val'Easy, 06 February 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#61 trener

trener

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:57 PM

Are you sure your bino has 21.5mm rear aperture stop? Apm website says that there is "Clear aperture 23 mm at the eyepiece Side"  :confused:

Edited by trener, 06 February 2015 - 03:58 PM.

#62 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

Are you sure your bino has 21.5mm rear aperture stop? Apm website says that there is "Clear aperture 23 mm at the eyepiece Side"  :confused:

They are inserts to make it 21.5mm. Cuts down on fingernail effect.

#63 Val'Easy

Val'Easy

Vendor Val'Easy Cases

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:47 PM

Yes I am sure!

Only a small number of APM 100-45 Apo with 21.5 rear aperture stops was produced.

Now it is 23 mm : a compromise between vignetting of eyepieces with large field stop (e.g. Pan' 24) and less visible fingernails.

However Markus says that it's the 21.5 mm rear aperture stops which work the best to have the smallest fingernail reflections. I believe that.

Emmanuel

Edited by Val'Easy, 06 February 2015 - 04:58 PM.

#64 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:00 PM

Aha - I see. Not like inserts Bill received then. Interesting.

#65 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:10 PM

The stops look to be doing their job of blocking the reflections;  a big improvement over Mr. Bill's "wide open" version by the looks of the photos.    :D

Rich

#66 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:04 AM

I get same effect using 21mm aperture stops on screw in filter cell.....this helps cut the ghosting but still there.

Really noticeable when panning starfields with off axis bright stars.

Begs the question whether 90s have same issue..........

If not, may consider a pair.

Attached Thumbnails

• 19mm Pans with 21mm aperture stop.JPG

Edited by Mr. Bill, 07 February 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#67 Val'Easy

Val'Easy

Vendor Val'Easy Cases

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

I get same effect using 21mm aperture stops on screw in filter cell.....this helps cut the ghosting but still there. Really noticeable when panning starfields with off axis bright stars.

Not quite the same effect as the 21.5 mm rear aperture stops if you still see ghosting images and~or reflections with your 21 mm screwed rings.

Yet your reducing aperture stops seem to have a good size for working near the prisms.

But perhaps not close enough for perform even better and so to have better results?

Emmanuel

Edited by Val'Easy, 07 February 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#68 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

I get same effect using 21mm aperture stops on screw in filter cell.....this helps cut the ghosting but still there. Really noticeable when panning starfields with off axis bright stars.

Not quite the same effect as the 21.5 mm rear aperture stops if you still see ghosting images and~or reflections with your 21 mm screwed rings.

Yet your reducing aperture stops seem to have a good size for working near the prisms.

But perhaps not close enough for perform even better and so to have better results?

Emmanuel

If you notice I have two cells back to back...the 21mm stop is almost touching the prism rear aperture at infinity focus, so in effect the same.

You still have ghosting issues IF you choose to see them. Try panning with bright light/stars near off axis.

#69 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

Emmanuel

If you notice I have two cells back to back...the 21mm stop is almost touching the prism rear aperture at infinity focus, so in effect the same.

You still have ghosting issues IF you choose to see them. Try panning with bright light/stars near off axis with the Pans.

#70 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

Emmanuel

You still have ghosting issues IF you choose to see them. Try panning with bright light/stars near off axis with the Pans.

Bill, What about sandwiching a rubber washer in between the two filter housings?  Maybe go 20mm and see  if you can eliminate the ghosting but not vignette the 19mm Pan?

Mike

#71 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

Looks like 2-3 months.....

http://www.apm-teles...html?info=11032

#72 GamesForOne

GamesForOne

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:40 PM

I could swear I saw some ghosting in my 12" Skywatcher dob using Denk II binoviewers (no corrector) with the TeleVue 24mm Widefields (model previous to 24mm Panoptic with similarly large clear aperture).

I scanned the Milky Way strewn sky with my Lunt/APM 100mm APOs with the 20mm Pentax XWs during our club's most recent star party and really was pleased with the performance. The ghosting was not really that intrusive to me with the 20's. Of course, I don't have the pristine bino box to compare.   :cool:   YMMV.

---

Michael Mc

#73 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

Markus PMed me that delivery starts in 2- 3 weeks.

:cool:

#74 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:34 AM

I could swear I saw some ghosting in my 12" Skywatcher dob using Denk II binoviewers (no corrector) with the TeleVue 24mm Widefields (model previous to 24mm Panoptic with similarly large clear aperture).

I scanned the Milky Way strewn sky with my Lunt/APM 100mm APOs with the 20mm Pentax XWs during our club's most recent star party and really was pleased with the performance. The ghosting was not really that intrusive to me with the 20's. Of course, I don't have the pristine bino box to compare.   :cool:   YMMV.

---

Michael Mc

My ES 20s are a good trade off between low power and minimizing the effects of the false pupils.

Will be waiting for initial reports whether this version has lessened the false pupil issue and still have a usable clear aperture.

If things work out, someone on CN will get a "bro deal" on my 45s..... ;)

Edited by Mr. Bill, 01 June 2015 - 11:20 AM.

#75 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:48 AM

Markus PMed me that 90 degree version has same false pupils as 45, also clear aperture is 23mm.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics