•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rancho Hidalgo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
307 replies to this topic

#301 Wade Van Arsdale

Wade Van Arsdale

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:45 AM

Morning Dan,

I expect something to come through today by email from VNS on the sentencing hearing that was scheduled for yesterday.  It's doubtful it was postponed again because they would have already notified us if that had happened.  Just checked the DOJ-Cleveland website this a.m. and nothing posted so far.  I'm sure the sentencing decree was a lengthy document with so many litigants involved, and probably is taking the court reporters a little bit to get it ready to publish and send out to us.

If I don't get anything today I'll get on the PACER system tonight to see if I can spot anything.  It's usually on there within 24 hours of the hearing.  Will keep you posted here or by private email (or both).

Cs,

Wade

#302 SteveGR

SteveGR

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:54 AM

Hopefully there is some justice done.  I know someone who got burned on the Granite Gap project.

#303 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

Thanks Wade. I note that the News link doesn't mention anything about it.

Dan

#304 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:11 PM

Any word on Turner's sentence?

:question:

#305 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:55 PM

Nothing so far through the VNS.

Dan

#306 DarkSkyPortal

DarkSkyPortal

Vendor-Remote Telescope Hosting

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:24 PM

I heard from one of the Granite Gap "purchasers" that Gene got 3 years plus 2(?) years probation. I think it was 2 years but that part I'm not sure of. It could have been 3. Either way I do know he was sentenced to 3 years. Now how long he will actually spend in prison is an open question. When you add in time off for good behavior, plus time spent under house arrest. Who knows how long will be left? 

#307 Wade Van Arsdale

Wade Van Arsdale

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:23 PM

Dan, I got bamboozled last night by work issues.  Will check PACER later tonight to see if there are any retrievable court documents on the sentencing hearing yet.  I don't think I'm allowed to distribute any official documents and it would likely be a TOS violation here on CN to do so, but I can at least relay a brief summary in my own words of what the court decree says if it's available online.

Wade

#308 Wade Van Arsdale

Wade Van Arsdale

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:13 PM

Dan/all,

I was able to locate the court sentencing decree tonight in the Pacer system on the Turner criminal fraud case involving Rancho Hidalgo observatory lessee-complainants and other investors.  The court document number is 1:18CR00104-001, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio in case any interested parties want to pull further documents on the case.  You can find the court links here:

http://www.ohnd.usco...ntent/cleveland

The published decree available for public perusal is very brief.  I'm pretty sure VNS will be notifying all complainants in the case separately in the very near future.  Here is a summary of what the document says:

• A sentence of 36 months is imposed on Turner for one (1) count of wire fraud via Information.
  • Turner is to be remanded into custody and serve his sentence at Safford Federal Prison, located approx. 2 hours NE of Tucson, AZ.

Links:

https://en.wikipedia...tution,_Safford

https://www.bop.gov/...stitutions/saf/

• Turner will receive upon release a supervised probation of 36 months (conditions of probation listed on document---pretty standard conditions).
  • Turner is granted credit for time already served in this case (document does not state how much if any time has already been served or if Turner was already in Federal custody at the time of the hearing).
  • Turner is ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $4,407,706.00 total.  (Document does not break this payment down as to who, when, how much each, etc...).  That information will be coming separately to each of us who were involved in the case as complainants.
  • Lead FBI investigator SSA John Aske from the Cleveland, OH. division was listed as in attendance at the hearing.

That's pretty much it in the published 2 page document.

My guess is that due to the number of complainants involved, all with differing restitution claims, this will take a few days to write up and prepare for sending out to us.  I'm sure it will be coming eventually though, along with their standard VNS reporting back to us similar to what they have been doing via email and/or snail mail of the case disposition, final sentencing decree and specific restitution information for each complainant.

So that pretty much closes the book on a long drawn out process over the past two to three years.  I'm sorry for everyone's financial, time, and other losses in all this and I wish we could have all had a better go of it with our observatory and lease projects there in NM.  But the good news is we can all move on with our lives now, knowing that at least some measure of justice was finally served for the damage that has been done to us.

Wade

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics