•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First TV Radians, help with instadjust

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

So I finally got my 2 Radians in the mail today, a 14 & 18mm. They seem perfectly fine and everything, but how in the world do you tighten them as to keep them in the position you want. Please tell me there is a way...When I extend them to any length and place my eye on them, with a bit of force, my cheek will make them drop back down... Is it not possible to tighten them into position like Delos eyepieces? Maybe some other way?

Also, were the 14 & 18mm versions produced with the first batch? Can someone tell just by looking at these pictures if they are the newer versions with the newer coatings?

Radian3.jpg

Radian2.jpg

Edited by NorthWolf, 22 January 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#2 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

The 5 mm I used to own held its position with a slight twist.  That was in the early 2000s, so they could be different now.  I sold mine to finance the Nagler 3-6 zoom.  I regretted that decision.  The 6 mm provided some of the best views of Mars I had in 2003.

#3 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

Correction, it was a 5 mm not a 6 mm.

#4 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:19 PM

http://www.televue.c...00#.VMGhdZUtHDc

#5 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

Brain is too tired to understand any of that right now, will try it in the morning...now I can understand why they stopped these eyepieces...springs and tensions and removing barrels? :question:  Wish there was a video on this.

#6 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

Brain is too tired to understand any of that right now, will try it in the morning...now I can understand why they stopped these eyepieces...springs and tensions and removing barrels? :question:  Wish there was a video on this.

It's actually quite simple to tighten the tension on these. If for some reason you don't think you can handle it, send it back to TV, they will do it.

#7 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

The 14 mm with the smooth barrel is the newer version of two.

#8 alnitak22

alnitak22

Gemini

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

Well, that wasn't the reason they stopped production. At any rate, I never had any problems on my Radians...still have the 5mm, and it ain't going nowhere. Have a look at the link when you're fresh. It's really pretty simple.

#9 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

So I finally got my 2 Radians in the mail today, a 14 & 18mm. They seem perfectly fine and everything, but how in the world do you tighten them as to keep them in the position you want. Please tell me there is a way...When I extend them to any length and place my eye on them, with a bit of force, my cheek will make them drop back down... Is it not possible to tighten them into position like Delos eyepieces? Maybe some other way?

Also, were the 14 & 18mm versions produced with the first batch? Can someone tell just by looking at these pictures if they are the newer versions with the newer coatings?

attachicon.gifRadian3.jpg

attachicon.gifRadian2.jpg

http://www.televue.c...00#.VMHDrcYUolI

You can boost the Instajust tension per the above instructions.

- Jim

#10 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:18 PM

I read and re read them, no idea what they're talking about, new or old instructions...better I sell them before I break them. I don't understand why they couldn't have just posted 3-4 pictures instead of the mumbo dumbo instructions that talks about springs and toothpicks. The newer one has a pupil size circle thing that says to place it under the eyeshield...on the site it says it goes in the middle of the eyepiece? Huh?

Edited by NorthWolf, 22 January 2015 - 11:18 PM.

#11 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:49 AM

You can use some black ,electrical tape between the sleeve and the housing. You raise the sleeve up and put some thin strips of the tape right on the housing underneath the sleeve. Once you have pushed the sleeve down it gets so tight that it stays in place for good. By trial and error you'll figure out how much of it is needed. It's worth the try though !

George

#12 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:34 AM

attachicon.gifRadian3.jpg

attachicon.gifRadian2.jpg

:applause: :doah:

Patience young Jedi.....

#13 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:51 AM

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! Call Televue if in doubt. The tape thing would be easier than Televue's fix.

At least give it a try on a few different objects. Just leave the instajust part down and hold your eye at appropriate length from eye lens so you don't get blackouts. Like using an RKE. Eyeball has to be properly spaced away from the lens. That's why they did instajust. You can still get a great idea of performance with it down.

#14 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:04 AM

I have 6 Radians and never use the intajust. Just pretend it's not there. After using the eyepieces awhile, you may find it's not needed too. By the way, I have taken several of mine apart and tightened them up. Not to use the thing but because I didn't care for it being loose. It was very easy to do. Anyone with a shred of mechanical ability will figure it out. Call TV, they can walk you though it on the phone.

Edited by pstarr, 23 January 2015 - 09:24 AM.

#15 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:46 AM

You're right, I might just leave them in the stock position, they seem fine as is I guess. I'm surprised that the 18mm is the older version, I thought they were all newer versions and that the 18mm wasn't made until way after 2000, maybe 2003? Where can I find the history of the Radian eyepieces?

Edited by NorthWolf, 23 January 2015 - 11:02 AM.

#16 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

Ed Ting did a pretty good write up of the Radians back in 1999. At that time, the 18mm had just been announced, but not yet on the market.

#17 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

Where can I find the history of the Radian eyepieces?

Tele Vue has a chronology of product introductions on its web site.  It will not tell you when they changed the barrel of the eyepiece to a smooth side on the bottom.  What I do know is that those smoothside Radians have better coatings than the earlier versions.  A phone call to Tele Vue may inform regarding when they made the change.  

#18 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

You can use some black ,electrical tape between the sleeve and the housing. You raise the sleeve up and put some thin strips of the tape right on the housing underneath the sleeve. Once you have pushed the sleeve down it gets so tight that it stays in place for good. By trial and error you'll figure out how much of it is needed. It's worth the try though !

George

This is what I did to "fix" my Nagler T4. It is now locked down solid, and feels like a real eyepiece. **** you Instadjust!

#19 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:25 PM

First, hold the top and unscrew the green lettered ring counter clockwise. Like you would unscrew any standard thread.IMG_1318.jpg

Remove the green lettered ring toward the bottom of the eyepiece, remove the top section toward the eye lens end. 

Inside the top section is a small metal ring. You will need to make that ring smaller to add tension to the instajust.

IMG_1319.jpg

Use a small screw driver or a toothpick like I did to remove the ring.

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

Bend the ring so it's smaller in diameter and reinstall.

IMG_1322.jpg

The hardest part, which is really not hard at all, is reinstalling the top section with the ring. You have to work the ring over the edge of the eyepiece until it slips back into the first grove. When it does, slide the top back down and reassemble in the reverse order of taking it apart.

IMG_1323.jpg

As a side note... If you really hate the instajust. You could just leave it off. The are no lenses in any part of it. You would end up with a eyepiece that looks like the raw barrel in the first picture. You would lose the ability to have the rubber eye guard. It fits on the top part of the instajust.

Edited by pstarr, 23 January 2015 - 03:24 PM.

#20 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

Excellent instructions Paul !   :waytogo:  :waytogo:

George

#21 Paul Morow

Paul Morow

Mariner 2

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

When the Radians were first released years ago I initially ordered the 6 & 8 mm to evaluate. When I first received them I was not very happy with the Instadjust feature. I did not like "moving parts" on my eyepieces; this was something strange indeed. I even thought about returning the Radians before I even viewed through them. But I did use them and those first images through the new Radians left a lasting impression on me.

I don’t remember my first night with various plossls (including Claves), orthos, konigs, Naglers, Takahashi LE, Meade UWA, Panoptics or etc. I still remember my very first views through the 6 & 8 mm Radian eyepieces with my AP 155EDT. Those wonderful Radian images made me forget all about those moving parts.

Radian eyepieces are not perfect, but they are pretty close in my opinion. Over the years I learned to live with those moving parts.

Edited by Paul Morow, 23 January 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#22 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

Is that the way to adjust the old school Radians or all of them Including the newer ones too. I have one of each, one came with a circular thing. I don't doubt the optics, but this was some weird creation, wish it was remade like a delos, now that is smart adjusting. Not sure about toothpicks and ring around the collar in the middle of the night.

#23 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

Is that the way to adjust the old school Radians or all of them Including the newer ones too. I have one of each, one came with a circular thing. I don't doubt the optics, but this was some weird creation, wish it was remade like a delos, now that is smart adjusting. Not sure about toothpicks and ring around the collar in the middle of the night.

They would both adjust the same way. I've done what I could to help you. You must now decide the next step.

The circular thing is a pupil guide. When put in place under the rubber eye guard, it helps people who see some black outs when they move their heads back and forth. I don't use them. You have to use the Radians yourself to see if they are for you. Not everyone has the same issues with them. I don't really have any, they are great eyepieces. It sounds like you have allot of issues with them. Why did you buy them?. You could just sell them and get the Delos line as you mentioned you wish these were more like.

#24 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

First, hold the top and unscrew the green lettered ring counter clockwise. Like you would unscrew any standard thread.attachicon.gifIMG_1318.jpg

Remove the green lettered ring toward the bottom of the eyepiece, remove the top section toward the eye lens end. 

Inside the top section is a small metal ring. You will need to make that ring smaller to add tension to the instajust.

attachicon.gifIMG_1319.jpg

Use a small screw driver or a toothpick like I did to remove the ring.

attachicon.gifIMG_1320.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1321.jpg

Bend the ring so it's smaller in diameter and reinstall.

attachicon.gifIMG_1322.jpg

The hardest part, which is really not hard at all, is reinstalling the top section with the ring. You have to work the ring over the edge of the eyepiece until it slips back into the first grove. When it does, slide the top back down and reassemble in the reverse order of taking it apart.

attachicon.gifIMG_1323.jpg

As a side note... If you really hate the instajust. You could just leave it off. The are no lenses in any part of it. You would end up with a eyepiece that looks like the raw barrel in the first picture. You would lose the ability to have the rubber eye guard. It fits on the top part of the instajust.

:bow:

#25 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

Instructions are great, thanks, I bought them for binoviewing mostly. I wanted to compare 2x 18mm Radians vs 2x 16mm Naglers vs 2x 17.3mm Delos. They all seem to have their strong and weak points. Should I just test the radians in their stock mode? Does anyone adjust their Radians differently when binoviewing?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics