•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Solar Photo; Lots of Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#26 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:21 AM

I priced the PGR Chameleon cameras at $375 either color or mono. Aren't there similar cameras on the market for imaging cheaper or better mega pixels than the 1.3mp camera that PGR sells?

#27 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

PGR has a dizzying array of cameras.  I want to get one with a CCD chip, not a CMOS chip.  And I would like to get as large a chip as I'm ultimately willing to pay for. 

Is any CCD monochrome PGR camera suitable for solar/planetary imaging, so I just sort through the various models (and options within models), or am I missing something?

Also, as a closely-related question, doing mosaics in "regular" astrophotography is a lot of work, and adds days/weeks to the imaging time (and hours and hours to the processing time); is doing a mosaic of the sun (thereby getting by with a much smaller chip) a lot more time-consuming than having a much larger chip?

You might find this link useful for the PGR cameras:  http://www.ptgrey.com/astrophotography

Here's an excellent resource for the PGR sensors:  http://www.ptgrey.co...downloads/10447

This is also an good general site for doing some camera research:  http://www.rkblog.rk...d-observations/

My personal experience with the PGR Chameleon is excellent.  I would stick to the Sony ExHAD CCD (ICX) chips.  For planets you don't need a large chip size and a smaller overall number of pixels translates into a faster frame rate, which is desirable.  For the sun, you have the counter balance of needing a larger chip to capture more area or a full disc, which might translate into a slower frame rate.  Then there's the speed of the interface.  So there are no simple answers, and trade off's for size, speed, sensitivity, etc.  It will take doing some homework and adjusting to your personal equipment and preferences.

For my full-disc solar mosaics using six panels, I can generally do all the processing of the images into a final image within about an hour or so.  Here's what I got yesterday, although reduced in size and compressed to fit the file size requirements for posting:

March 1st Ha full disc jpg adj sm.jpg

Note that the ability to achieve good mosaics depends greatly on good contrast uniformity of the filter system and good seeing conditions to allow proper feature registration.

Edited by BYoesle, 02 March 2015 - 09:56 PM.

#28 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:30 PM

Here's a portion of the full disc mosaic at full resolution, showing AR 2290 which had an M class flare later yesterday evening:

AR2290 close up.jpg

#29 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

One other thing I forgot to mention which is useful for the less than ideal seeing that sometimes occurs for daytime solar imaging -- the use of the histogram for focusing.  Here is what this looks like in FireCapture:

Histogram focusing.jpg

#30 WebFoot

WebFoot

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:14 PM

Thanks so very much!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics