•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Remy Bosio

Remy Bosio

Uber Curmudgeon

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:58 PM

Howdy Binolovers, I came to rest here due to an urging by my friend and fellow PAS member Barry Simon.

I look forward to reading all the great stuff on this forum and may even post a few to get my feet wet.

Keep both eyes open! :bigshock:

#2 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 02 March 2004 - 08:03 PM

Welcome to CN's Remy!!!
Glad you found us. How many members are in P.A.S.?

Scott

#3 Remy Bosio

Remy Bosio

Uber Curmudgeon

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2004 - 08:11 PM

Good on YA Scott!

The PAS has about 180 members. It's been around since 1959.

We have our own dark sky site with full domed observatory and bunkhouse.

It is a prolific society in spite of our below sea level location here in the Deep South.

#4 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 02 March 2004 - 08:13 PM

You are only 75 miles from me. I was born in NO.

Scott

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:36 PM

Welcome to the forum Remy!

#6 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 03 March 2004 - 02:43 AM

Ditto Daniel's comment.

Welcome Remy !

Regards -- Kenny

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 March 2004 - 07:52 AM

Same from me Remy! Don't be shy about posting. Dive right in!

#8 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 03 March 2004 - 01:32 PM

Hi Remy,

welcome to the other binocular place.

edz

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 March 2004 - 01:50 PM

Remy,
I can't imagine a dark site near NO, and with a domed observatory no less. We can almost see the lights from NO in Galveston. :)

Laissez le bons temp rouler! Nick

#10 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:06 PM

Lights from New Orleans at our club site are not really a factor. Unfortunately we do get some light effect from communities like Franklinton, Folsom, and some individual local lights. The local lights are a real concern. On a 1 to 10 scale with 10 being ideal, and a 9.5 being a fine site in locations such as the Texas Star Party site, remote desert areas of the American southwest, etc., our club site would probably be about a 7 at best. (For additional reference the location of the Kisatchie Star Party in central Louisiana later this month would be about an 8.5.

For a real good website that has a lot of research and maps on evaluating potential areas in terms of night sky brightness, go to:

http://www.lightpoll.../pages/fig2.htm

You can load up the North America map and then enlarge it to zoom in on an area of interest.

Open ocean areas and major portions of the southwest are colored black (that is as good as it gets), next comes gray (looks black if there are no adjacent black areas. After this the colors are blue, green, yellow, orange, red and white. No Milky Way is visible in orange, red and white areas. Marginal in yellow and progressively better as we move from green to blue to gray to black.

Our club site, 60 miles north of New Orleans is in the green area (not so good), the Kisatchie Star Party is squarely in a blue zone and really very nice on cool, dry nights. TSP is in the black, large portions of the Texas Hill Country are in the gray, as is the Okie-Tex Star Party in extreme western Oklahoma.

Unfortunately, our site, like so many others, is slowly deteriorating. New members of our club think it is great, but many have never been exposed to truly great sites, nor did they see this site 10 years ago, when it would have been a "blue" site and about 8 on a 10 point scale rather than the 7 it is now.

Barry Simon

Attached Thumbnails

• 65031-Artificial Night Sky Brightness.jpg

#11 Remy Bosio

Remy Bosio

Uber Curmudgeon

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2004 - 04:36 PM

First of all, thanks to all who have welcomed me to this forum! I think I am going to enjoy this erudite group.

Nick, believe it or not, our site has a pretty good sky. I think it's easily a mag. 7 (Barry Simon may know the actual mag.)on decent nights and on occassion gets better. However,it's probably going deteriorate over time as the area we are in is becoming a part of what I call "Urbanuntry". A new commuter paradise.

Se la vie, Se La guerre, Se la Pom De Terre! (Trans: Such is Life, Such is War, Like a potatoe in the ground!) Why am I talking like this...I'm not even a Cajun!

#12 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 03 March 2004 - 05:36 PM

Remy,

The skies at our club site would top out at about mag 6.8 in about 1994/95 on exceptional dry winter nights. Now we may occasionally get a mag 6.2 to 6.3 night if we are lucky.

Not bad for us city boys who are used to a mag 4.5 to 4.7 on a normally clear night in the suburbs and a 5.2 to 5.4 on a very rare exceptional night. However, once spoiled by a really, really dark location (Mag 7 or better) it is hard to get really excited about our typical 5.8 to 6.0 skies at the club site.

Let's gas up the car and find some really dark skies!

Barry Simon

#13 Remy Bosio

Remy Bosio

Uber Curmudgeon

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2004 - 07:38 PM

Barry, thanks for the clarification on the mag. at our site.

Like you said earlier, most members don't visit a really dark site much anymore. I fall into that catagory myself.

The true dark sites within 100 miles of our location are dwindling or nonexistant. The best sky I can remember is when we went to the Mars Hill area in the De Soto Natl. Forest long ago.

You're right, you do have to gass-up the car to find a decent site nowadays.

Too many people in the world!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics