•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Merope - engineering a low compromise compact 16" dob

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#176 Millyon

Millyon

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

Just now seeing your build. Awesome Dob.

#177 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:07 AM

Truly MAGNIFICENT. The whole Telescope is amazing, beautiful job on the varnish, and those are the sharpest setting circles that I have ever seen. Easily the BEST designed and made Telescope that I have ever seen. You are a WIZARD among craftsmen Sir.

What a treat !

Mark

• dave brock and Oberon like this

#178 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Explorer 1

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:36 PM

First time I've seen this thread, AMAZING.  What are you doing for a step ladder?

Cheers

Mike

#179 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Surveyor 1

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:13 PM

First time I've seen this thread, AMAZING.  What are you doing for a step ladder?

Cheers

Mike

After seeing Merope, It would not surprise me if Jonathon built some anti-gravity shoes !

• Augustus likes this

#180 Greg S

Greg S

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:34 PM

I was just looking through some big dob builder sites and came across Wait Research's new line of Renegade scopes.  They are remarkably similar to Merope in engineering and construction.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10630487085_568a61327a_z.jpg
  • 10630736853_166e7a092c_z.jpg

• brucesdad13 likes this

#181 brucesdad13

brucesdad13

Apollo

• Loc: Rutland, MA

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:14 AM

It doesn't hold a candle to Merope ;) 

I was just looking through some big dob builder sites and came across Wait Research's new line of Renegade scopes.  They are remarkably similar to Merope in engineering and construction.

• Pinbout likes this

#182 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hunter Valley NSW Australia

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:14 AM

Gordon Waite makes beautiful beautifully finished telescopes and Merope's stylistic similarity to the Renegade has been noted before, I think by Pierre Lemay who brought it to my attention. I like the way Gordon laminates ply to built up his structure in layers, similar to Merope, only taken to the next level utilising CNC. And of course the altitude bearings wrap under a circular looking mirror cell. Look closer however and the likenesses are fairly superficial, and particularly so from a structural engineering point of view. I can't help but notice a range of key design decisions that appear to be made without appreciation of the impact on structural stiffness, and the consequences are inevitable. The Renegade pictured above must surely be floppy and bouncy, and would seriously benefit from some re-engineering as outlined by Albert Highe. Which is a great shame because it looks so neat.

• mark cowan, brucesdad13 and Augustus like this

#183 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:57 AM

I don't like the look of the renegade.

I think the mirror sits too high in the "mirror box." That raises CoG making the alt bearings too large. Front collimation would also help lower the mirror that also  lowers CoG. 

With smaller alt bearings the cross brace "D" thingy would not be impracticle. 

• mark cowan and brucesdad13 like this

#184 Greg S

Greg S

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:52 PM

I noted the similarity as I'm starting to like the built up plywood idea as it's so easy to get things laser cut or cnc routed these days.

Merope is stunning and in a different league than the Renegade.   I like the Renegade too as it's beautiful as well in a more simplistic style.

• brucesdad13 likes this

#185 Fly2High

Fly2High

Vostok 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

gallery_217007_5817_51016.jpg

gallery_217007_5817_214721.jpg

I am reading through Highe's book and he shows the 6 strut arrangement where there are 2 psudo trusses(made of 2 struts each) at the bottom and a single Truss on the top.  Basically, take yours and rotate it 60 degrees.

Why did you decide on this orientation instead of Highe's?  Was it to be able to use the mirror cell for cross bracing of the trusses since  this would make them actual trusses?

Does the mirror cell always put the 'triangle' in this orientation or could you have rotated it having the horizontal piece at the top?  I know that just sounds crazy to me and I would assume be needed if the trusses were Highe's way instead of yours?

Do you find it stiff enough or do you get some bounce and vibration?

Frank

• ctcables likes this

#186 m. allan noah

m. allan noah

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

I am reading through Highe's book and he shows the 6 strut arrangement where there are 2 psudo trusses(made of 2 struts each) at the bottom and a single Truss on the top.  Basically, take yours and rotate it 60 degrees.

Why did you decide on this orientation instead of Highe's?  Was it to be able to use the mirror cell for cross bracing of the trusses since  this would make them actual trusses?

Does the mirror cell always put the 'triangle' in this orientation or could you have rotated it having the horizontal piece at the top?  I know that just sounds crazy to me and I would assume be needed if the trusses were Highe's way instead of yours?

I prefer Jonathan's design, because it puts the focuser at the apex  of a triangle, and uses the mirror cell to connect the lower ends of the trusses. That is proper space frame design, and should allow some weight reduction. That said, if your upper and lower assemblies are stiff enough, you won't notice the difference, and could rotate the focuser or mirror cell to any position.

allan

• Oberon likes this

#187 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:36 PM

I prefer Jonathan's design, because it puts the focuser at the apex  of a triangle, and uses the mirror cell to connect the lower ends of the trusses. That is proper space frame design, and should allow some weight reduction. That said, if your upper and lower assemblies are stiff enough, you won't notice the difference, and could rotate the focuser or mirror cell to any position.

allan

Albert Highe's design can be seen here.

Alan is right.

I don't know why Albert didn't connect his truss points the way I did, because he is certainly aware of the engineering benefits, but looking at the picture linked above it may have been because of his special user requirements, i.e. he may have found the truss tubes interfered with his seating position. In any case he knows perfectly well what he is doing, so I'm sure he compensated by making his pseudo-truss LTA stiff enough.

Incidently, the reason for putting the cell triangle with the horizontal section at the bottom is to improve clearance when tilting in altitude.

#188 Fly2High

Fly2High

Vostok 1

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:40 AM

Jonathan,

I look at your work as a lesson of great engineering and love the design.  I hope to use as much as I can from it for my own. 

By the way, as I read further and reread the truss section I noticed I overlooked the fact that Highe indicated that the orientation does not matter as to the location the 3 trusses are made.  this validates your design, not that it needed it.  It is only for my feeble knowledge that it was needed and my own education.  I hope I did not come off poorly.  I was only trying to learn from what little knowledge I have been gaining and to better understand the choice you have made and why.

I truly find  your scope, as I learn more engineering, is not only very well design but is truly a work of art.  You are a scholar and a craftsman.

Thanks
Frank

• Oberon likes this

#189 Fly2High

Fly2High

Vostok 1

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:03 AM

Looking at the two designs, maybe Highe built his with the trusses offset from the mirror cell because he still does collimation at the cell instead of with the truss tube lengths.  I am not sure if the trusses attachment through to the mirror cell would make collimation easy.   Instead of using the mirror cell for the lower short strut of the truss I think he is using the mirror box to act as that support in a psuedo truss arrangement.

Does this sound reasonable?

• Oberon likes this

#190 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

Well spotted. That makes sense. He must be adjusting his cell from the front of the mirror box presumably on the lower pair only. That would prevent him from aligning his triangles. 

Another reason to use adjustable trusses!

• Earthbound1 likes this

#191 Fly2High

Fly2High

Vostok 1

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:57 AM

Once I saw your adjustable trusses, THAT was the first design element I wanted to incorporate into my own scope. 

But it is only one of many from your scope that I will use :)

#192 Kiwi72

Kiwi72

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, NZ

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:40 AM

Just stumbled on this thread, what an awesome scope. Your workmanship is absolutely incredible.

I have always wanted to convert one of my box dobs into a truss style and Merope has given me the push to get it done! 

Can I ask what wall thickness aluminium tube you used on your design?

Is there a formula to work out diameter and wall thickness required for a certain length of truss tube? I guess its a balance between weight and stiffness?

#193 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:00 AM

Thank you!

The wall thickness is 1mm, pretty standard for thin walled tube, and suits the tube plugs sold by Moonlite.

CF would be better though...if you can afford it. I wouldn't want the trusses any heavier, just stiffer.

#194 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:59 AM

I was corresponding with one of the tech support people at DragonPlate (Kris Park IIRC) and most CF tubing has a modulus very similar to aluminum, 8-10 msi. Lighter yes, stiffer maybe not. They do offer a high modulus tube that is 30 msi. About $285 per tube, last time I checked.

Another argument for the hexapod over the classic design  :grin:

#195 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:49 AM

Sheeeesh! 

I've seen a very thin walled stainless steel tube in my hardware store and wondered whether or not it would be lighter and/or stiffer than aluminium. Steel is stiffer than aluminium by weight, so maybe...

• jtsenghas likes this

#196 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Skylab

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:36 AM

Sheeeesh! 

I've seen a very thin walled stainless steel tube in my hardware store and wondered whether or not it would be lighter and/or stiffer than aluminium. Steel is stiffer than aluminium by weight, so maybe...

Maybe. I replaced an aluminum robot end of arm tool with a steel one of of half the wall thickness to make it stiffer and lighter. It would be more stable dimensionally, too. 

I'm just wary that with such a thin walled aluminum tube to begin with, a lighter stainless steel one may be entering the realm where the first failure mode may be buckling.

Edited by jtsenghas, 25 February 2017 - 06:43 PM.

#197 polaraligned

polaraligned

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:03 PM

. Steel is stiffer than aluminium by weight, so maybe...

No, it is not.  The specific modulus of aluminum is higher than that of steel for all common alloys.  If you compare commonly available thin walled tubes, 6061 aluminum vs 304/316 stainless, you will find the aluminum has a 6% higher specific modulus.  So for the same outside diameter tubes with the same weight, the aluminum will be stiffer.  The aluminum will perform far better in buckling also, due to a thicker wall.  This is why you don't see too many aircraft skinned in steel.  The steel only has the advantage of lower cost and a lower CTE.  

#198 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

Interesting. I'll look further into that as I've been assurred by engineers quite the opposite (in context of professional telescope construction when I asked why steel not aluminium). Obviously some subtlety here I'm missing, aside from the risk of local buckling.

#199 racunniff

racunniff

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

Steel has a lower coefficient of thermal expansion depending on alloy. And it is not as vulnerable to work-hardening (although I don't think that should be a major issue with telescopes that don't suffer significant bending cycles). And it holds paint better :-)

#200 TopQ

TopQ

Vostok 1

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

Very Nice

All I can say

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics