•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Merope - engineering a low compromise compact 16" dob

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#201 Trithemius

Trithemius

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Paducah, Kentucky

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:05 PM

I wanted to thank you for this build thread.

I've been designing and redesigning a truss collimated 12.5" on paper for months now, and I've probably gone through some 30 iterations. I've gone from a ring mirror box, to square, to hexagonal and now back to a ring. I've gone from traditional dob bearings, to a tri-lateral design (which I thought for sure was the one), to a split-bearing design. I've gone from a traditional ground board to a ground ring with flex rocker.

Of all the unique configurations I thought for sure I was going to do, my current design (hopefully final), which is one of the most compact so far, nearly resembles Merope, just with a flex rocker. This is just another testament to how much thought you put into your scope. I tried improving on it, but their doesn't seem to be much room for improvement. 

I really need to get started on my own scope and make a build thread. 

I'm planning on trying truss collimation with eyebolts (poor man's method). Any advice on that front would be welcome.

• Oberon likes this

#202 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Skylab

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:41 AM

....I'm planning on trying truss collimation with eyebolts (poor man's method). Any advice on that front would be welcome.

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! welcome.gif 

The topic of truss tube collimation setups has indeed been discussed on this forum, although the thread has digressed a few times and the moderators have had to perform minor surgery on the last few pages of the thread to keep it on topic.  You can find the discussion that Jonathan started here

#203 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hunter Valley NSW Australia

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:01 AM

Merope has been camping...

med_gallery_217007_5817_896862.jpg

med_gallery_217007_5817_129145.jpg

med_gallery_217007_5817_1325007.jpg

• PrestonE, ctcables, Pierre Lemay and 6 others like this

#204 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

Whoa.  Most people would use a ramp, maybe, with wheelbarrow handles.

That's not good enough for the creator of Merope.

No, he has to use a crane!

waytogo.gif

• Augustus likes this

#205 Pierre Lemay

Pierre Lemay

Apollo

• Loc: Montréal, Canada

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

Jonathan,

I remember suggesting that you get a real hatchback car to move Merope around instead of using the "boot" ("trunk" in real English) of that sedan you showed in pictures. You answered back something like "What fun would that be?".

Well, look who's having fun now!

• jtsenghas and Augustus like this

#206 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:59 AM

Below are some old shots illustrating how I sanded the altitude trunions. See the discussion on this thread.

First the trunions are screwed together and mounted on the jig (flat sheet) to ensure accurate rotation around the trunion centre.

gallery_217007_5817_58448.jpg

Then the job is spun by hand against an orbital sander (hidden) that - in this example - is fixed to a piece of wood hinged at one end, and able to be pressed against the job with my fat gut...

gallery_217007_5817_34181.jpg

Here is a close up...

gallery_217007_5817_13125.jpg

Watch the movie here...

• Pierre Lemay likes this

#207 Pierre Lemay

Pierre Lemay

Apollo

• Loc: Montréal, Canada

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

I knew there was a good reason to keep my tummy!

• Oberon and drneilmb like this

#208 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Surveyor 1

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:43 PM

I wanted to thank you for this build thread.

I've been designing and redesigning a truss collimated 12.5" on paper for months now, and I've probably gone through some 30 iterations. I've gone from a ring mirror box, to square, to hexagonal and now back to a ring. I've gone from traditional dob bearings, to a tri-lateral design (which I thought for sure was the one), to a split-bearing design. I've gone from a traditional ground board to a ground ring with flex rocker.

Of all the unique configurations I thought for sure I was going to do, my current design (hopefully final), which is one of the most compact so far, nearly resembles Merope, just with a flex rocker. This is just another testament to how much thought you put into your scope. I tried improving on it, but their doesn't seem to be much room for improvement. 

I really need to get started on my own scope and make a build thread. 

I'm planning on trying truss collimation with eyebolts (poor man's method). Any advice on that front would be welcome.

Oh. please don't use eyebolts !

Rod ends (people here refer to them as heim joints, in the racing world they are rod ends) are available  for a couple bucks a pop on the 'net.  I just ordered a batch of them, 5/16 male & female, LH & RH thread for a race bike build. There were all under $3 a pop. Eyebolts will cost you half that and a lot more in frustration...

Welcome to CN !

Bob

#209 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NW NC

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

I love your design, I wish it was commercially available, congrats you should be very proud.

• Oberon likes this

#210 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

Here is a self indulgent half finished video I started to make in order to illustrate hexapod collimation, but never got around to finishing. 

• Jeff Morgan, PrestonE, jtsenghas and 1 other like this

#211 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:10 PM

A little short on the narrative, but nice soundtrack.

#212 Raiz

Raiz

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

Looking at your mirror cell, I am assuming that your mirror edge support is that you glued your mirror on to your mirror cell?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

#213 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

No, the mirror is loose. The edge supports consist of a protuding pair of 20mm phenolic balls embedded in the ply ring surrounding the mirror 90 degrees apart. Here is one of them shown close up...

med_gallery_217007_4913_159943.jpg

If you look carefully you will see it below immediately below the lower left mirror clip.

gallery_217007_5817_90156.jpg

#214 Raiz

Raiz

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

Interesting, thanks for the quick reply.

#215 VNA

VNA

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

Beautiful and impressive project, but how high will you have to climb to observe?

#216 KJL

KJL

Messenger

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:05 PM

Beautiful and impressive project, but how high will you have to climb to observe?

I'm guessing given its 1800mm focal length that the resulting zenith EP height is probably around 65-70 in. There is a good chance he doesn't have to climb anything at all (I wouldn't).

• Augustus likes this

#217 Olle Eriksson

Olle Eriksson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Skåne, Sweden

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

gallery_217007_4913_33700.jpg

Note my original plan when this photo was taken was for the teflon pads on the feet to run against the side of the azimuth bearing and constrain it, so no need for a center pin. But something didn't work as intended so I went to plan B and fitted a bottom plate, and those feet with their lovely slabs of 10mm teflon were shelved.

An absolutely beautiful telescope! I've looked at your thread many times in the past, but never commented. But yeah, it's been said by others so many times as well, great work!

On this picture you said that something didn't work as intended in regards to having the side of the azimuth bearing ride against teflon making a center pin unnecessary. May I ask what that was?

• Oberon and Andrew_G like this

#218 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

I'm guessing given its 1800mm focal length that the resulting zenith EP height is probably around 65-70 in. There is a good chance he doesn't have to climb anything at all (I wouldn't).

Thats right. Due to the nested design the mirror sits low and I stand flat on the ground for all but very close to zenith, which for me requires tippy toes.

#219 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:03 PM

gallery_217007_4913_33700.jpg

Note my original plan when this photo was taken was for the teflon pads on the feet to run against the side of the azimuth bearing and constrain it, so no need for a center pin. But something didn't work as intended so I went to plan B and fitted a bottom plate, and those feet with their lovely slabs of 10mm teflon were shelved.

An absolutely beautiful telescope! I've looked at your thread many times in the past, but never commented. But yeah, it's been said by others so many times as well, great work!

On this picture you said that something didn't work as intended in regards to having the side of the azimuth bearing ride against teflon making a center pin unnecessary. May I ask what that was?

I was experimenting with a thin floppy base. A protoype worked well (was rock solid) on my 8” but failed on Merope. I’ve yet to really determine why the difference and at the time figured that the benefit (20mm lower eyepiece) wasn’t worth the time and effort to resolve, so went with a more standard stiff baseplate.

#220 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:08 PM

Jonathan

Can you comment on how much the tubes actually move up/down when you do a collimation touch-up ?

I was considering mounting my focuser in the triangle formed at the top of 2 of the truss tubes, looking upward at the sec mirror ( LR design), but was wondering how much shift i'd see of the focuser position when twisting the tubes... Maybe I could have one of the 3 pairs fixed ?  Just kicking this around in my head

CS

Bob

#221 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

Hi Bob, adjustment of the tubes is typically less than a thread, less than a single rotation of the tube. However I would strongly recommend against constraining the tubes in any way with the focuser; truss tubes should only experience tension and compression forces down their centerline. Also you cannot leave a pair truss tubes fixed, in a hexapod it is only possible to fix a single truss tube without losing an axis of movement.

To my mind you are better off with shorter trusses (stiffer) and a short but classic UTA that holds the focuser between two rings. If you want to go LR then shorten the trusses further, or build a stiff UTA ring and a sold focuser support hanging off that ring. Keep the trusses free to do their job.

Edited by Oberon, 05 January 2018 - 08:05 AM.

#222 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

Hi Bob, adjustment of the tubes is typically less than a thread, less than a single rotation of the tube. However I would strongly recommend against constraining the tubes in any way with the focuser; truss tubes should only experience tension and compression forces down their centerline. Also you cannot leave a pair truss tubes fixed, in a hexapod it is only possible to fix a single truss tube without losing an axis of movement.

To my mind you are better off with shorter trusses (stiffer) and a short but classic UTA that holds the focuser between two rings. If you want to go LR then shorten the trusses further, or build a stiff UTA ring and a sold focuser support hanging off that ring. Keep the trusses free to do their job.

Yeah I figured that would be the case

Everything gets easier if I go with a classic UTA anyway, wirespider, focuser mount, finder mount etc.

Interesting that it takes so little truss movement to collimate.

Thanks for the feedback, it puts a lot of questions & what-ifs behind me !

CS

Bob

#223 kb58

kb58

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 25 December 2018 - 11:52 PM

If you had gone with a vane-type spyder, I'm curious if - carrying on with the three-point truss - would you have used a 3-vane part?

#224 Oberon

Oberon

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 December 2018 - 11:59 PM

Definitely not.

A 3 vane spider cannot be made sufficiently stiff and rigid. If you look earlier in the thread I started with a 4 vane-type spider, and later changed for wire as part of a weight loss exercise. The critical design element for rigidity is a pair of triangles in tension with a straight section between them, as in >-<.

Edited by Oberon, 26 December 2018 - 12:00 AM.

#225 kb58

kb58

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

Should I then assume that your answer would be the same regarding a 3-vane wire spider?

The reason I keep asking about it is that the three-truss theme is tempting to run through the entire assembly. That is, triangular mirror cell, bolted straight to the 3-point truss bases, with the truss tops bolting directly to the secondary housing spacers, with a 3-wire spider coming off of them. I very much defer to your experience on this though and will go with a 4-wire set spider if  you say so.

Edited by kb58, 08 January 2019 - 05:00 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics