•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Skymaster Pro

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 TCW

TCW

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

These are new to me.  Full specs not up on Celestrons web site yet. Water proof and accept standard 1 1/4" filters as well as a red dot finder.  Any reviews or comments yet?

#2 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Hubble

• Loc: 802,701½ C.E.

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the post. B&H in NYC is already advertising (MORE COMING SOON) both the 20x80 and 15x70.

#3 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

Its to be hoped they hold alignment better than previous versions, DA.

#4 MartinPond

MartinPond

Aurora

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

They might even have a more solid focuser! ;-)

Filters are a great idea.

Edited by MartinPond, 07 February 2015 - 03:48 PM.

#5 Prescott702

Prescott702

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sin City

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:01 PM

What about the optics? can we expect some better? i hope at least they are truly 80mm aperture and 20x mags

Edited by Prescott702, 09 February 2015 - 03:03 PM.

#6 TCW

TCW

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:38 PM

To quote Celestron - SkyMaster Pro uses superior optics, coatings, internal parts and housing materials.  

The specs say XLT coatings and that they are made of polycarbonate and aluminum whatever that means.

They don't exactly say these are better than the standard SkyMasters or give full specs yet.

#7 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Viking 1

• Loc: Southwestern Indiana

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

I wonder just how the prisms will be mounted, I like the idea of the polycarbonate and aluminum housing and would like to know how much this unit will weigh. One must wonder if the 25 year warranty offered on the regular Skymasters will also be offered on the Pro unit...

Clear skies and of course, "Keep looking up!"

Bill

#8 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:07 PM

Details here on their website (the weight still says "TBD").

Edited by Jarrod, 09 February 2015 - 05:10 PM.

#9 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Viking 1

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

Yeah, we are still waiting on the weight to be posted and it will take someone out in the field to actually give us an idea of how they feel and perform. I didn't notice any mention of the 25 year warranty either.

Bill

#10 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, we are still waiting on the weight to be posted and it will take someone out in the field to actually give us an idea of how they feel and perform. I didn't notice any mention of the 25 year warranty either.

Bill

It says lifetime warranty.

#11 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

these don't look like anything from KUO.  I know that Celestron is using an American company to assemble their Echelon line and those binos are well respected. the inclusion of filter threads on the EPs is an interesting feature for a low price point glass but for me, if the prism housings and focus mechanism is plastic, I'll pass. I know their Echelon line proudly states made in America with Japanese glass and both of those features are missing from the Skymaster Pro description.  so - maybe Synta is making binos now?

#12 TCW

TCW

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:44 PM

Bill

A lifetime warranty where you pay for service and shipping?

#13 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:54 PM

A lifetime warranty where you pay for service and shipping?

It's pretty much standard for the industry.  Nikon, Pentax, Zhumell, Celestron all have "no-fault" warranties where you more or less cover shipping both ways and they repair or replace your optic no questions asked.

#14 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Viking 1

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:47 PM

Bill

Well actually it is a Limited Lifetime warranty, Celestron says:

"Celestron will repair or replace the product which, upon inspection by Celestron, is found to be defective in materials or workmanship and within the definitions of the limits described below. This warranty is effective January 1, 2012, and supersedes all other warranties.
For binoculars and spotting scopes, the customer must send a check or money order in the amount of $14.95 made out to Celestron.

This warranty does not cover products that have been subject to abuse, misuse, physically damaged, altered, or had unauthorized repairs or modifications. This warranty does not cover defects due to normal wear and tear and other conditions."

Bill

Edited by PhaedrusUpshaw, 10 February 2015 - 10:49 PM.

#15 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

Just wondering Bill, if the warrenty applies to binoculars that slip out of collimation?,Celestron could argue they have been abused, mistreated etc, Dave

#16 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Viking 1

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:15 PM

you make a valid point...

however for Celestron to make that argument you could very well be out the $14.95 plus shipping.

Edited by PhaedrusUpshaw, 11 February 2015 - 03:22 PM.

#17 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Viking 1

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:17 PM

Dave,

Most of my experiences with Celestron have been positive, however I have read where others have not been so lucky.

Bill

Edited by PhaedrusUpshaw, 11 February 2015 - 03:20 PM.

#18 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:19 PM

years ago (early '90's) I paid over $300 for a pair of Celestron 8x56 Ultimas (made by Vixen).  the Vixen line was dropped by Celestron some years later and the barrel coatings fell off the Vixens and although it did not affect the views, I felt it was a defect that should be corrected since they had a lifetime warranty.  when I contacted Celestron, they offered to replace the binos with some 8x42's since the 8x56 were no longer in their lineup.  I wasn't happy about losing 14 mm of objective on a premium bino so I re-covered them myself and later (since I wasn't happy with the job I did), sent them off to Suddarth Optical for re-re-covering at my own expense.  I did not feel the warranty did me any good, and another experience with a CG5-ASGT mount that died in the warranty period took 12 weeks to get back to me!  I swear they sent that thing back to Synta for service it took so long!

that said, it did come back in perfect condition and they did offer to replace the binos even though I wasn't happy with the trade.

just my experience with their warranty policy....

#19 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

years ago (early '90's) I paid over $300 for a pair of Celestron 8x56 Ultimas (made by Vixen).  the Vixen line was dropped by Celestron some years later and the barrel coatings fell off the Vixens and although it did not affect the views, I felt it was a defect that should be corrected since they had a lifetime warranty.  when I contacted Celestron, they offered to replace the binos with some 8x42's since the 8x56 were no longer in their lineup.  I wasn't happy about losing 14 mm of objective on a premium bino so I re-covered them myself and later (since I wasn't happy with the job I did), sent them off to Suddarth Optical for re-re-covering at my own expense.  I did not feel the warranty did me any good.

I don't know that you could have expected anything more though. I had a similar experience with a Leupold Gold Ring 12x50. The central focus was not working properly, so I sent it in for warranty repair. A couple weeks later I got a letter saying that it was not repairable and that I should call their 800 number for a replacement. Leupold doesn't make a 12x50 anymore, so all they could offer me was the highest power, largest objective model in their highest quality series, which happened to be a 10x42. So, like you, I was also forced to take a "less than" binocular, but there was really nothing more that they could offer me from their current product line. I didn't need nor did I want a 10x42 (I already have a very good one) so I just sold it so I could buy something else that I did want.

#20 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:45 AM

didn't realize celestron discontinued their no-fault warranty in 2012.  I agree that the current warranty is poor.  Collimation issuesare only covered for 30 days now!  :nonono: :dislike:

#21 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Viking 1

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

didn't realize celestron discontinued their no-fault warranty in 2012.  I agree that the current warranty is poor.  Collimation issuesare only covered for 30 days now!   :nonono: :dislike:

Glad I could help clarify that for you Sir.

Bill

#22 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:27 PM

didn't realize celestron discontinued their no-fault warranty in 2012.  I agree that the current warranty is poor.  Collimation issuesare only covered for 30 days now!   :nonono: :dislike:

Always a red flag when a company ratchets back their product warranties. It's a very clear message from them that they know the poor quality of their own products.

Edited by mikenoname, 13 February 2015 - 01:28 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#23 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Viking 1

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:08 PM

Yes Sir I agree.

Bill

#24 Prescott702

Prescott702

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sin City

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:33 PM

Sorry for the bump but ... any review or something out there yet?

#25 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Hubble

• Loc: 802,701½ C.E.

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

Sorry for the bump but ... any review or something out there yet?

I haven't seen any. There is a review of the relatively new Celestron Echelon 20x70 at this site:

Best Binoculars & Binocular Review Website

It might be worth watching for a review of a binocular in the Skymaster Pro Series. :shrug:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics