•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newton 16" F4,5 Carbon fiber...all

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 TopherTheME

TopherTheME

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

Very cool. Do you know how much the whole thing weighs? It looks like a very light weight structure, are there any issues with flex or collimation shifting now that you have the mirror mount fixed?

#52 tommm

tommm

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:51 PM

Hello canarymax,

Your 8" is on an equatorial mount I believe.  Could you supply some detail of how you secure the mirror in the cell to minimize movement?

Thank you,

Tom

#53 CanaryMax

CanaryMax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Gran Canaria, Spain

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:21 AM

Hello

Topher: The telescope is about 24Kg, with finder, CCD (Minicam5F), cable and sheath, prepared for astrophotography. I used it all night yesterday and I have not had any problems collimation. Flexion I can not say anything because it was my first time with EQ8 and must have a parameter misconfigured since monitoring always derived westward as if the sidereal rate was accelerated, it's no problem telescope also occurred with another telescope.

Tom: in my other telescope 8", the mirror has no top locking catches. They are by the contour of the primary mirror, the screw is embedded and exerts force on a piece of aluminum having an inclined recess so that the force that is transmitted screw down, preventing it from lifting. The silicone absorbs much of the force and does not cause deformations in the mirror, it is not necessary to apply much force to hold the mirror in place. Maybe a little picture.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0928.JPG

Edited by CanaryMax, 10 February 2016 - 07:25 AM.

#54 tommm

tommm

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:17 AM

I see...yes the sketch helps a lot.  Thanks!

#55 CanaryMax

CanaryMax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

First light in planetary, seeing 6/10, looks good.

Attached Thumbnails

• j2016-02-10_01-07_RGB_msu.jpg

• dcornelis likes this

#56 fjh

fjh

Apollo

• Loc: Bessemer, AL 35022

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

Maximo,

What a beautiful scope! Doesn't look like there will be any cooling problems. The conical mirror has so many benefits. I was sorry to hear about the soft silicone problem. How did you fix it? 

Floyd

#57 CanaryMax

CanaryMax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:01 AM

Hello Floyd:

I removed the silicone hollow primary mirror and I filled with epoxy resin but leaving a small gastket of 2mm between the resin and mirror, this gasket 2mm filled it with an elastic adhesive, Sicaflex.
It is a very strong glue that keeps the mirror in place even tilt, but also elastic and absorbs the expansion of the mirror and the center piece of aluminum.

Maximo

#58 CanaryMax

CanaryMax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:48 AM

And the first light in Deep Sky

M1 only 100x10s with Minicam5F L Filter

Attached Thumbnails

• M1 nota.jpg

• dcornelis and dvalid like this

#59 CanaryMax

CanaryMax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:12 AM

HEI851 Binary Star Separation now is 0,9".

Attached Thumbnails

• HEI851Nota.jpg

#60 dcornelis

dcornelis

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:46 AM

Great images, superb build! I am starting on my 16" lightbridge to carbon truss-like tube conversion soon. Nothing as fancy as yours!

great shot of jupiter, with detail on the ganymede too. That M1 is very nicely detailed! and that double star ...

My telescope will not be in such nice sky conditions as yours (belgium)

#61 CanaryMax

CanaryMax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:15 AM

Thank you all.

floyd: I've noticed a big difference in the acclimatization and the absence of internal turbulence tube relative to the other telescope at the observatory installed 14 "closed tube. Nights that were previously unusable in planetary, can now take advantage

dcornelis: The Canary Islands are synonymous with good skies, but I can assure you is not always the case, where is located the observatory there are many problems of local turbulence and is rare excellent night to planetary images. Good luck with your 16 " 

Regards

Maximo

• dcornelis likes this

#62 dcornelis

dcornelis

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:29 AM

I can understand about the turbulence. I am opting also for a reasonably open tube, but make some kind of shroud to close it for deepsky.

That M1 image is seriously good.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics