•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My time with the Avalon Linear Fast Reverse.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#26 torsinadoc

torsinadoc

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:36 PM

Quite an illuminating write up. 

Any potential for going mobile and just using a tablet?  How much power does it need?

-Rich

I would sign up for the Avalon Yahoo Group. They are very quick to answer questions. 

Yes you can control it via tablet (android via bluetooth I believe).  I believe it is 15v. I run my M uno off wall outlet.  

#27 Hilmi

Hilmi

Vendor-Astronomical Solutions Co.

• Vendors

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:02 AM

The Star-go software is also its ASCOM driver and I can create profiles for various things like slew speed, home and park position, guide rates, RA and DEC slew limits and also control things like Blue-tooth, DSLR imaging, and focusing.

I recently became another proud owner of a Linear mount but I haven't found a way to set custom slew limits. Could you tell me how to do that?

Jarno

I'm not at the mount now, but I believe you need to download firmware 5.09 for that feature

#28 Jarno

Jarno

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:34 AM

The Star-go software is also its ASCOM driver and I can create profiles for various things like slew speed, home and park position, guide rates, RA and DEC slew limits and also control things like Blue-tooth, DSLR imaging, and focusing.

I recently became another proud owner of a Linear mount but I haven't found a way to set custom slew limits. Could you tell me how to do that?

Jarno

I'm not at the mount now, but I believe you need to download firmware 5.09 for that feature

Thank you for your answer, I wasn't aware of the new firmware so I installed that right away. I see that the option to force a meridian flip has been added which is very useful but I'm still at a loss how to set slew limits. Any help will be much appreciated.

Jarno

#29 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:38 AM

There are not currently slew limits available.  It is a feature that will likely be added in the next major firmware upgrade possibly by the end of the year.

The Avalon mounts are designed to be portable (the new M3 mount will be on the large side for portable use).  They can be operated with goto simply by using SkySafari over Android Bluetooth (a WiFi version is currently under final testing).  They can even be operated completely manually (with tracking) using the manual hand pad.

#30 Hilmi

Hilmi

Vendor-Astronomical Solutions Co.

• Vendors

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:48 AM

I had a quick conversation of with Luciano and we discussed the possibility of introducing pier flip based on declination, this would allow you to image continuously with out meridian flip if the declination allows it and only forces meridian flip when the declination is within the limits you set. I suspect this would be of particular use to the M-Uno where with certain specific mount/OTA combinations you need to perform a meridian flip when pointed north. This will be such a cool feature to have as I believe that currently the only other mount manufacturer that does this is Astro-physics.

#31 Jarno

Jarno

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

Well that would certainly be a useful option to have. I can set the slew limits in external applications but then there's the risk that in Starry Night the slew limits for my Maksutov are set, Cartes du Ciel has the limits for my 4" refractor and then I happen to use Starry Night with the 'frac... I'd rather have it all in one place.

On the hardware side I can hardly think of any improvements. Perhaps some edges could use a larger chamfer because they can be quite sharp, I actually cut my thumb on one of them. In an effort to make the best of the situation I tried to turn it into a blood sacrifice for the weather gods - and it's been cloudy and stormy for a week now... :shrug:

Jarno

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics