•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What does "cooldown" mean for your telescope?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:02 PM

Well that could be currents in the telescope OR it could be currents in the atmosphere.  Both can clear up over time.

When you hear people talk about the "seeing" they are talking about the degree to which atmospheric turbulence is interfering with observing.   I have had nights where I could get Jupiter up to 260X with no problem and get a pretty steady view.  Other nights Getting past 180X seemed a real challenge as the image wavers in and out of focus.

The lower in the sky, the closer to the horizon the worse it typically is as you are looking through more atmosphere.  But it be turbulent near the zenith too.

Since my scopes live at ambient temperature I know it isn't heat waves in the scopes.

#27 johnwarm

johnwarm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for all the responses and info.

The eaves of my observatory have a 1/2" x 22" gap between each of the roof rafters and roller top plate, so I think it is well ventilated. However, my roof panels are semi transparent Suntuf panels so the sun does get through and heats the inside a little bit. The scope is covered with a silver reflective tarp so to help protect it. Next time the sky is clear I will open the roof 1 hour before I want to start observing to see if that improves my views.

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics