•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you work on today?

• Please log in to reply
6737 replies to this topic

#6676 tim53

tim53

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 18 September 2023 - 12:09 PM

Over this past weekend, I got the scopes at Cosmic Acres set up for some astrophotography.
*I made two mounting plates out of 1/2' Baltic Birch plywood that I then mounted to the sides of the 9.25" (where the fork brackets attached).

*On one side, I replaced the 135mm lens I was using for a guide scope with a Jaegers 3” f/5 (I think) scope I made out of Lauan mahogany, and I’ve attached the Mgen-3 autoguider to it (tiny blue rectangle on right in first image).

*I mounted my grandfathers Meyer Optik 300mm f/4.5 lens on the other side of the main scope, and have my Olympus m4/3rds camera mounted on it with an adapter.
*I’ve attached the LUMIX S-5 to the Tak FC-76 refractor (top). This has worked well for me, so I don’t expect too much trouble with it.
*I got the old SBIG ST2000 camera with filter wheel and adaptive optics device working via TheSkyX!  I must have about $4k invested in this camera, the filter wheel, filters, and adaptive optics device. It’s probably worth about $600 now! 
*Everything is balanced in R.A.   It quite in Dec, so I might need to add a weight on the sky side. (I ended up needing to add a weight to the other end of the dovetail under the 9.25")

Just a few more things to do, especially managing all the cables. I might try mounting the mini PC on the scope somewhere to help with that. But I find that I still need to run the lumix and the Olympus cameras from the Mac. The drive starts accumulating errors if the mini PC is controlling too many things.  Saturday night, I took some images of M33 to check things out.  The guiding was so good I had no trouble taking 10 minute guided exposures with the Lumix S5 though the Tak FC-76.

Cosmic_Acres_Rig_2023_09_15.jpg

Cosmic_Acres_Rig_2023_09_15_b.jpg

• PrestonE, R Botero, niteskystargazer and 5 others like this

#6677 brebisson

brebisson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2023 - 05:36 AM

Hello,

Well, I am working on a small arduino based controler for an EQ3 mount...

But I needed to calculate planet positions, and I could not find any easy to use code for it...

So I had to recreate it...

Here is a link to the code I used should anyone ever need to do the same!!!

http://brebisson.ddn...arth-code-in-cc

Cyrille

• sunrag likes this

#6678 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 21 September 2023 - 04:37 AM

We’ll I removed the Cave mount and reduced the legs. Now the mount is low enough to accommodate the scopes and put them at a nice level for the grandkids.
Now I need to work on the Dec sector drive motor install.

Having doubts that the tripod is up to the task. Thats a massive EQ head!

#6679 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 21 September 2023 - 10:55 PM

Having doubts that the tripod is up to the task. Thats a massive EQ head!

What concerns do you have?  I have reinforced every aspect.

Today I worked on the DEC sector drive. 
Mounted the drive motor….added and aligned the drive gears 

Runs smoothly.  
Now I’m building the forward mounting brackets that will hold my custom made 5” telephoto lens. 

Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• 432E1D24-FA65-4181-9610-46462BC9879A.jpeg
  • 39DE1559-3DE4-40E0-9F0E-A5B78B3A6FE4.jpeg
  • A61F5D29-F431-421C-9766-B7A1B8C6687B.jpeg

• tim53, Rutilus, happylimpet and 2 others like this

#6680 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 27 September 2023 - 10:24 AM

I made an RA clutch for this old 50's (Edmund?) mount with my mini lathe.  The brass worm gear was previously just pressed on to the shaft.

Also, soldered together a broken gear in this synchro motor and brought it back to life. Not sure what the grease is, but fortunately not silicone or I would probably not have been able to clean it well enough for solder.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2459.JPG
  • gears.jpg

Edited by Tom Stock, 27 September 2023 - 10:26 AM.

• happylimpet, LU1AR and brentelgeuse like this

#6681 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 28 September 2023 - 06:23 PM

Spent some time machining the mountings for all three scopes.  
Milled the bar for the Mak to slide back and forth for alignment purposes.  
Still need to add the counterweight.  Still lots to do.  

Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• B61CFD7B-49C1-4FFD-B98A-65EBB50724B1.jpeg
  • 8BB4E318-2B6C-4CD4-9E59-FF883A755506.jpeg
  • 961575B2-31BC-44C2-9F2E-ACF7803658AC.jpeg
  • 7DBC3575-FC71-46DF-9CE3-066326E7EA12.jpeg

• tim53, PrestonE, R Botero and 4 others like this

#6682 brentelgeuse

brentelgeuse

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Northern New Brunswick

Posted 29 September 2023 - 09:09 AM

Spent some time machining the mountings for all three scopes.  
Milled the bar for the Mak to slide back and forth for alignment purposes.  
Still need to add the counterweight.  Still lots to do.  

Rob

Ah, now I understand what the big plate is for. That is a clever setup for sharing the view with the grandkids. 

#6683 sunrag

sunrag

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel, Indiana

Posted 29 September 2023 - 12:07 PM

My Losmandy tripod lacks a spreader and eyepiece tray, so i made one. Additionally i can hang a weight at the bottom to lower the COG. The tripod has a tendency to tip over when i use only one side of the dual AZ8, so the extra weight will prevent that i think.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1951.jpeg

• niteskystargazer, Rutilus, Mike G. and 1 other like this

#6684 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 29 September 2023 - 12:26 PM

The big green saddle base was used for the giant dob and refractor mounted there....a long time ago....

I simply flipped it 90deg's and mounted the three scopes.  As previously stated.....I wanted a platform so at least 2 of the grandkids could view the planets and moon together, at the same time.

And the middle *telephoto* will house a video camera that will be send images to a large screen TV in the garage...so others can view from there is they want to.

This setup is designed for more of an outreach.  I have a bunch of homeschoolers that want to use this as a science/astronomy class option..

Rob

• Bob4BVM and brentelgeuse like this

#6685 brentelgeuse

brentelgeuse

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 September 2023 - 04:36 PM

This setup is designed for more of an outreach.  I have a bunch of homeschoolers that want to use this as a science/astronomy class option..

Rob

Younseem so much nicer than when you were in that James Bond movie! 

#6686 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 29 September 2023 - 05:34 PM

Younseem so much nicer than when you were in that James Bond movie! 

confused1.gif

Edited by rwiederrich, 29 September 2023 - 05:35 PM.

#6687 brentelgeuse

brentelgeuse

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 September 2023 - 06:09 PM

confused1.gif

Hehe, I saw "Goldfinger" above your Avatar. Goldfinger was not a nice man. You are a nice man, helping the kids like that. 

#6688 stargazer1

stargazer1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poway, CA

Posted 30 September 2023 - 06:30 PM

My daughter wants a scope to take with her on her camping trip. Reconfigured one of my Meade mounts, reinstalled the dovetail holder, and packaged up the drive corrector and assembly tools into a small toolbox. This is going to work out nicely. 

Also put together a second set of eyepieces in another storage box. 

My eventual plan is to have the scope-related stuff in the telescope cases, and all the mount-related stuff in some kind of tool box. Since almost all the mounts have Losmandy dovetails, scopes, cameras, or whatever can be used interchangeably. 

I think this system is going to work out well. 

Next up -- replace the synchronous motor in the other Meade mount. Anyone have a good source for those?

#6689 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 30 September 2023 - 09:32 PM

Hehe, I saw "Goldfinger" above your Avatar. Goldfinger was not a nice man. You are a nice man, helping the kids like that. 

lol.gif     I picked up that header ..because , Apparently , I have gold fingers when it comes to making telescopes and their doings………

Rob

#6690 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Running Springs, California

Posted 01 October 2023 - 10:27 PM

After along time not working on ATM got back into designing a CEM mount. I was going to use the same parts for a GEM design, however the center balanced CEM design is better suited at keeping the COG over the center of the tripod for latitudes from the equator to the arctic circle. My reason for  initially  making a GEM instead of a CEM design was that the DEC axis using the original SBB bearings would have to be too long for a shaft diameter of 2.5625". The overhang on the DEC axis was not going to work well IMO. After searching my bearing collection I found a Kaydon Reli-Slim KAO 045 4.5" bore bearing with a 1/4" cross section. I paired the Kaydon 4.5" bore bearing with the smaller of the SBB full ball complement with a bore of 2.3125" for a really compact DEC axis bearing assembly that should be rigid enough. For the CEM RA axis I  am going to use two SBB 2.5625" bore full ball complement bearings. I am using 6061-T6 aluminum  on hand and can be machined with the tools I have in my shop. Also using the rebuilt Fearless tripod top plate made to be parallel with the tripod base. Notice that in the three views below with latitudes from the equator to the arctic circle the COG is right over the tripod center. 

SBB full ball complement super ultra precision BB races

IMG_0148web.jpg

Kaydon KA0 045 4.5" bore bearing

IMG_6369Web.jpg

View of CEM design adjusted for latitude of 66* Arctic circle

IMG_6366Web.jpg

View of CEM adjusted for latitude of 34* where I live

IMG_6367Web.jpg

View of CEM deign adjusted for the equator

IMG_6368Web.jpg

Edited by don clement, 02 October 2023 - 12:24 PM.

• Diego, PrestonE, R Botero and 4 others like this

#6691 PalomarJack

PalomarJack

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tehachapi, Ca.

Posted 02 October 2023 - 07:30 AM

I made an RA clutch for this old 50's (Edmund?) mount with my mini lathe.  The brass worm gear was previously just pressed on to the shaft.

Also, soldered together a broken gear in this synchro motor and brought it back to life. Not sure what the grease is, but fortunately not silicone or I would probably not have been able to clean it well enough for solder.

Correct, that is an Edmunds mount and tripod, pre Edscorp, about 1955. They were also sold with their 3" f/15 refracters as standard equipment. After the medium duty mount with 5/8 shaft for the counterweight shaft came out they were relegated to "light duty" status because they could not handle the 4 1/4" Palomar Junior scopes later. Later yet they were discontinued and only the medium and heavy duty mounts were offered in the '60s and '70s. Still have my 1975 Edscorp medium duty mount and I use the 5" f/5.5 Wollensak objective rich field 'scope on it. Thanks to modern synthetic brake grease, it's smoother than when it was new.

The clock drive is not Edmunds, but it sure looks like the drawings in the old A. Jaegers ads from S&T mid '70s. They had a small clutch for slow-mo in the clock motors, too. That may be what broke the gear if the clutch locked up. Certainly the the worm gear getting pressed on without a clutch between it and the RA shaft did not help, either. Leaving the RA clamp on with the clock running would have been a real no-no. Good rescue!

Edited by PalomarJack, 02 October 2023 - 07:49 AM.

• Tom Stock likes this

#6692 PalomarJack

PalomarJack

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tehachapi, Ca.

Posted 02 October 2023 - 07:56 AM

Got my solar filter on Friday and has been cloudy since. Added two more set screws to hold it in place on the two 5" refracters along with touch drilling 3 corresponding divots in the ends of the tubes. Kind of paranoid about it falling off while in use. Today is supposed to be clear, so we'll see.

#6693 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 02 October 2023 - 07:50 PM

After along time not working on ATM got back into designing a CEM mount. I was going to use the same parts for a GEM design, however the center balanced CEM design is better suited at keeping the COG over the center of the tripod for latitudes from the equator to the arctic circle. My reason for  initially  making a GEM instead of a CEM design was that the DEC axis using the original SBB bearings would have to be too long for a shaft diameter of 2.5625". The overhang on the DEC axis was not going to work well IMO. After searching my bearing collection I found a Kaydon Reli-Slim KAO 045 4.5" bore bearing with a 1/4" cross section. I paired the Kaydon 4.5" bore bearing with the smaller of the SBB full ball complement with a bore of 2.3125" for a really compact DEC axis bearing assembly that should be rigid enough. For the CEM RA axis I  am going to use two SBB 2.5625" bore full ball complement bearings. I am using 6061-T6 aluminum  on hand and can be machined with the tools I have in my shop. Also using the rebuilt Fearless tripod top plate made to be parallel with the tripod base. Notice that in the three views below with latitudes from the equator to the arctic circle the COG is right over the tripod center. 

SBB full ball complement super ultra precision BB races

attachicon.gif IMG_0148web.jpg

Kaydon KA0 045 4.5" bore bearing

attachicon.gif IMG_6369Web.jpg

View of CEM design adjusted for latitude of 66* Arctic circle

attachicon.gif IMG_6366Web.jpg

View of CEM adjusted for latitude of 34* where I live

attachicon.gif IMG_6367Web.jpg

View of CEM deign adjusted for the equator

attachicon.gif IMG_6368Web.jpg

Follow up with the 3D models of the  Houston Fearless tripod: Pictures of the newly rebuilt tripod head. The tripod head has a built-in clutch (see lever in photo 2) and rotation ability. I machined a slot so that a 3/4" wide 0.005" thick SS band can be used as a fine adjustment for finding the pole in combination with the fine adjustment for latitude on the CEM mount. Tripod leveling is by fine adjustment on two of the tripod legs. (see knob in photo 1 on the lower left)  There is locking ability on all fine adjustments. Everything is modular and comes apart so transport will be in sections. 

Don

IMG_6371Web.jpg

IMG_6372Web.jpg

Edited by don clement, 02 October 2023 - 08:15 PM.

• PrestonE, R Botero, brave_ulysses and 1 other like this

#6694 lrossi

lrossi

Explorer 1

Posted 03 October 2023 - 12:34 PM

I made a landspeeder.

Since my scope is called Luke SkyWatcher, it's fitting that the trolly for it is the "landspeeder".

Still some details to finish up, but it works and since I'm using the existing holes in the side walls, I did not have to modify the base itself in any way.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4813.jpg
  • IMG_4811.jpg

• kisstek, sunrag, LU1AR and 1 other like this

#6695 brentelgeuse

brentelgeuse

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 October 2023 - 07:36 PM

Replaced the 1.25" focuser on my "Purple Passion" with a new $58 2" focuser. The shaft was bent during shipping, but I tapped it straight again.

Old focuser  

1.25.jpg

New 2" focuser

2_inch_focuser.jpg

• sunrag, LU1AR and Jehujones like this

#6696 brentelgeuse

brentelgeuse

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 October 2023 - 07:41 PM

Bent shaft. I tapped it straight enough.

bent.jpg

I had to nibble the hole bigger...

nibbled.jpg

to fit the 2" focuser tube.

tube.jpg

• LU1AR likes this

#6697 Jehujones

Jehujones

Vanguard

• Loc: Simi Valley, CA.

Posted 07 October 2023 - 02:37 PM

Replaced the 1.25" focuser on my "Purple Passion" with a new $58 2" focuser. The shaft was bent during shipping, but I tapped it straight again.

Old focuser  

attachicon.gif 1.25.jpg

New 2" focuser

attachicon.gif 2_inch_focuser.jpg

that old focuser looks like it had been cut down to achieve prime focus with a DSLR

#6698 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 09 October 2023 - 11:39 AM

Worked on replacing the thermocouple for the oven on my vintage California-made Wedgewood chrome top gas  stove. Also got ,from a fellow TN, a duplex matched set of Kaydon 5" bore 1/8" cross-section Reali-Slim bearings that will replace the 4.5" bore Kaydon bearing in the present CEM DEC axis design. The nice thing about a duplexed matched set of bearings is that there is no need to allow adjustment of axial preload. Since I wanted to keep the DEC just over 4" out from the RA axis shaft to clear the 8" diameter worm gear. I added a third bearing a 3" down from the duplex set with some axial play to stiffen the DEC bearing assembly.

The life and load-carrying capacity of a pair of angular contact bearings under an applied moment load can be increased by spacing the bearings further apart. The angular deflection (tilt) of the shaft under an applied moment also decreases as the spacing increases. 

KaydonDuplexMounting.jpg

Porter on this subject: IMG_6379Web.jpg

IMG_6367Web.jpg

IMG_6374Web.jpg

DEC  axis shaft with duplexed bearings

IMG_6373Web.jpg

Edited by don clement, 09 October 2023 - 07:57 PM.

• Diego, tim53, PrestonE and 3 others like this

#6699 brentelgeuse

brentelgeuse

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 October 2023 - 05:49 PM

More little things. I bent up some 2mm 6061 aluminum sheet to make some dovetails and brackets for my 50mm finder scope on my "purple passion." 

finders.jpg

So having changed the focuser, diagonal, finder, and primary mirror, I guess there isn't much of the old scope left LOL

• Diego likes this

#6700 John R.

John R.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lacey, Washington

Posted 14 October 2023 - 07:44 PM

Built a ‘L’ bracket to mount a 50mm x 360mm Svbony kids scope to my Orion StarBlast reflector’s finder shoe. It will be good enough for a finder. When the scope arrives I will remove the plastic mounting bits and make a cradle to attach it to the bracket. 
Just cannot see paying $100+ for a 50mm finder scope, the Svbony was $24 total. 

Edited by John R., 14 October 2023 - 07:44 PM.

• LU1AR likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics