•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is it about EAA that is so controversial?

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#176 Rich_B

Rich_B

Mariner 2

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:02 PM

are the NSN.com broadcasts announced anywhere ahead of time ? I'm definitely going to watch the higher def stuff.

Yes, I get that EAA is a compromise between speed, resolution, image quality , cost . The analog video very low resolution images though on the old NSN looked too much like they compromised ALL of speed, resolution, image quality AND the low resolution cameras cost a fortune for what they were doing. Now for the same price or less more modern cameras can be had that are shifting the tradeoff more  toward higher image quality . Sorry for the impression of negativity MartinMeredith, far from that. I am really happy things are moving forward with higher def and better cams . I'm eager to see the revamped nsn.com in action and grateful to Joe for taking this awesome initiative . 

#177 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:12 PM

https://beta.nightskiesnetwork.com/

This is the website of the beta version.  Just check occassionally for a broadcast.  With a big moon out there may not be one for a few days.

#178 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:50 PM

are the NSN.com broadcasts announced anywhere ahead of time ? I'm definitely going to watch the higher def stuff.

Yes, I get that EAA is a compromise between speed, resolution, image quality , cost . The analog video very low resolution images though on the old NSN looked too much like they compromised ALL of speed, resolution, image quality AND the low resolution cameras cost a fortune for what they were doing. Now for the same price or less more modern cameras can be had that are shifting the tradeoff more  toward higher image quality . Sorry for the impression of negativity MartinMeredith, far from that. I am really happy things are moving forward with higher def and better cams . I'm eager to see the revamped nsn.com in action and grateful to Joe for taking this awesome initiative . 

We have an announcement thread here, which is of course voluntary by broadcasters. I think if we got more participation both from viewers and broadcasters it would be a great resource.

#179 Mittag56

Mittag56

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Amboy, N.Y.

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:25 AM

I've read a lot of bickering from one side to the other for and against EAA..... Sorry to say everyone but to me bottom line as a disabled and cant stand at the eyepiece for any length let alone get into some of those crazy neck twisting positions my old dob would get me in...its the only way i can still enjoy the looking....and i'll take it any way i can to be able to still do it....i don't have a nice expensive video camera as i can't afford one....but my old chopped up Samsung security cam still gets it done...and if it burps or goes haywire on me that too is ok as it gives me something to do to fix so that i can get back to enjoying the view....those of you that enjoy the back and forth of yes no and like to kick sand around the sandbox....keep it up as its your right as a human being....every time i read all these posts i learn something and that is part of staring at a monitor and seeing what i can see...so thank you

PS And as a side note...my 10 inch see's better with the camera..i have read it can be up to 3 times aperture...i personally am not sure but i know if the camera is on my 4 inch it goes as deep as my 10 inch without a camera....so i enjoy more than i should, which makes me very lucky and happy. :grin:

• Relativist, ccs_hello, Dragon Man and 6 others like this

#180 OleCuss

OleCuss

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

What is cool about all this is that we keep getting new cameras which give us even more to argue about!

Yesterday a friend told me of a new camera coming out which should be able to do HD in low light.  I may get to play with it a bit next week (not sure if he'll have his example by then).  I can probably get one from him at dealer cost so it might actually be an option!  Not too excited about the form factor but it might be alright in that regard.

If you think about the number of cameras out there which have been shown to be efficacious for NRTV it is just amazing!

Worth staying humble, however, by remembering that we owe that broad selection of great options to the popularity of cameras for other purposes - still probably most notably the surveillance cameras but maybe increasingly those "smartphones".  Our cameras are using sensors demanded by other markets - no one I know of makes sensors because they think they will be great for the amateur astronomy NRTV community.

• Robrj likes this

#181 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

I've read a lot of bickering from one side to the other for and against EAA..... Sorry to say everyone but to me bottom line as a disabled and cant stand at the eyepiece for any length let alone get into some of those crazy neck twisting positions my old dob would get me in...its the only way i can still enjoy the looking....and i'll take it any way i can to be able to still do it....i don't have a nice expensive video camera as i can't afford one....but my old chopped up Samsung security cam still gets it done...and if it burps or goes haywire on me that too is ok as it gives me something to do to fix so that i can get back to enjoying the view....those of you that enjoy the back and forth of yes no and like to kick sand around the sandbox....keep it up as its your right as a human being....every time i read all these posts i learn something and that is part of staring at a monitor and seeing what i can see...so thank you

PS And as a side note...my 10 inch see's better with the camera..i have read it can be up to 3 times aperture...i personally am not sure but i know if the camera is on my 4 inch it goes as deep as my 10 inch without a camera....so i enjoy more than i should, which makes me very lucky and happy. :grin:

You might also try that Canon T4i out with Astrotoaster/DSS.

#182 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

A lot has been stated and I for one don't think this thread is that relevant from when it got resurrected, just because it's around people have participated. VEAA is gone and it's time to move on, and that's a good thing because it means 'video cameras' are not the only game in town, the field has broadened, not because of anything particularly negative. I'd rather concentrate on what advancements we could make. One thing to note though, when Emil got kicked over here, what kind of welcome did he get? These are the type of events that make me wonder if this thread is relevant. It's my opinion that we posters should be positive and welcoming, even if errors are made. That's what the Mod alert button is for, to let the Mods do the clean up work, that way we can concentrate on the positive. Here's an inspirational video that I think sums up what it feels like to participate in the EAA forum.

#183 Mittag56

Mittag56

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Amboy, N.Y.

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:36 PM

Yea i do use my Canon T4i i use it with APT and it really is sweet...used to use my EOS 1000d but the T4i has video mode and if sky starts to get trashy the stacking feature really works nice.

• OleCuss likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics