•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C5 Registry

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#326 ANM

ANM

Vostok 1

• Loc: El Paso, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol system, Orion-Cygnus arm, Milkyway

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:00 PM

I hate to tell James this but it almost seems like a new field should be added to the database namely .965 or 1.25...

• Terra Nova and Kasmos like this

#327 ANM

ANM

Vostok 1

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:58 PM

James, I now have an Orange C5 astro that I would like added to the database at your convenience. S/N is 500454:

IMG_1631.jpeg

It has the special coatings sticker. It has large accessory threads with a 1.25" visual back with t2 threads as well — there is no means for accommodating .965" accessories. The finder has a black eyepiece barrel and is just marked Celestron and circle T, overall dimensions look the same as the 5X24 finder on my C90. So far I can't see any numbers on the corrector, I'll probably have to remove it to see those, but I think I have one of the motor dates: 2-79;

IMG_1625 2.jpeg

The accessory threads on the primary housing are much larger than on the C90. Does anyone know if C5s use the same threads as on the C8?

Thank you James...

Edited by ANM, 23 July 2020 - 05:58 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#328 ANM

ANM

Vostok 1

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

Has anyone ever given consideration to putting all of these registries on Google Sheets? You could set it up so anyone with a link would be able to view the sheet, and you could add trusted contributors able to make edits as well. 

I like the personal touch...

#329 ANM

ANM

Vostok 1

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:36 PM

Well the answer is yes and no (to my threads question) the threads on my C5 are the same as the early C8s which means they're different from just about any other SCT manufacturer's threads. There is no provision for .965" accessories, my C5 came with a visual back that accepts 1.25" accessories, and it has a T2 thread... wrong! What I thought was a T2 thread turns out to be compatible with the early C90's threads, anything that will thread onto my C90's threads will also go on the threads on my C5's visual back, which means not very much. So right now it's kinda limited, but I can use the Meade 07036 threaded onto the C5's visual back to give me 'current-sized' SCT threads.

Anyway, I like the C5, its got more light grasp than the C90, though I feel that the C90 might be a tad sharper. A big plus is that either will go on the tripod and wedge! And I only need one set of accessories!

• Terra Nova likes this

#330 ANM

ANM

Vostok 1

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:40 PM

When I said the C90 might be a tad sharper than the C5, I meant only at high magnifications like 250x (of course the same eyepiece on the C90 only gives 200x so maybe it's not a fair comparison?). The moon through the C5 at 70x knocked my socks off, so much fine detail, a lot of it new to me — of course next week it will all be new to me again. I assume the visual back I received with it must be original equipment because I can't imaging anyone else making a visual back with old odd-size C90 threads on it.

Edited by ANM, 01 August 2020 - 01:44 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics