•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Restoring twin Shrine Manon 60mm telescopes

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#276 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

Some of you may have seen the pic of this Manon lens in another thread here on CNs.  I cannot find it.  Anyway, the pic showed that the lens spacers were very large.  So, that was my first priority in my assembly of the scope.   Here's the pic from the ad:

lens 1st.jpg

It's a good thing I checked, because the lens was in backward.  I replaced the large spacers with smaller ones that I believe were the original size.

Because I cannot do better, this next pic is also from the ad.  (for those who didn't see it.)

s-l16002.jpg

Also, somewhere I read that there is  "Vixen" visual back that will screw into this focuser so 1-1/4" eyepieces can be used. 

Does anyone recall where I can purchased one from?  thanks

Edited by Garyth64, 17 August 2016 - 05:40 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#277 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:27 PM

It will accept the Vixen 36.4mm to 1.25" adapter.  I buy mine here --> https://www.optcorp....ce-adapter.html

• Garyth64 likes this

#278 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:02 PM

It will accept the Vixen 36.4mm to 1.25" adapter.  I buy mine here --> https://www.optcorp....ce-adapter.html

Thanks.

#279 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:50 PM

I'm assuming that I am still the only one then with an APL model 814 with a thread-on focuser? (Mine (1965) is branded Mayflower rather than Manon.)

Technically yes you are the only one but...

I bought a Mayflower 814 APL 5 years ago. It had some deep paint scrapes and I was really just after the glass to transplant into the sweetest Tasco circle T 9te which is a very early, cardboard gift boxed, wood tripod, yoke with no controls, no alt rod, not great optics. The Tasco now APL powered from the Mayflower is a very fine, very simple telescope. Like me... well the simple part anyway.

So unless I put the glass back into the Mayflower, You have the only one Terra! 

Attached Thumbnails

• 0.jpg

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#280 zatman1

zatman1

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

Amazing work Chuck!

Edited by zatman1, 29 September 2016 - 10:09 AM.

#281 65&Counting

65&Counting

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:17 PM

Chuck - to join the chorus thanks so much for this thoughtful masterful restoration!

You've presented a master class is do-it-yourself-ing! Great tips and thanks for all the tedious posting work.

I never expected to be here but ebay beckoned and I'm now the happy owner of a threaded focuser APL Manon!

Sadly, some things tinkering won't fix :-((( But they did get the OTA packing right!

Going to have to find a finder, the horizontal worm assbly is completely missing and the vertical suffered a broken end :-(( Happy to purchase if anyone interested.

But - the optics/tube assembly is terrific - amazing images! And I agree with Chuck about re: longevity issues - even with broken/missing parts it works/images great - what's not to like?

Quick question - on cleaning the green felt departed the insides of the focuser - got some Amazon green 1/16" with adhesive back and it's just too thick. Advice on thinner felt?

Pix are as arrived in the case and set up with tube cleaned - next will be tripod/case cleaning,refinishing, etc. etc.

Thanks again for showing me the way!

Attached Thumbnails

• SHRINE MANON 06.jpg
  • IMG_2509.jpg

#282 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:34 PM

I use the adhesive felt from Michaels craft store, and it fits fairly well, although a bit stiff at first. The felt will eventually compress. You can try thinning it with an electric razor, or very carefully slice it with a single-edge razor blade.

Chip W.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics