•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opinions on TS 6" f5.9 RFT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:00 PM

Does anyone have any eyes-on experience with this refractor or informed opinions about it?

https://www.teleskop...-Objective.html

I need a widefield RFT for my star tours, but would also use it on solar system objects.

It seems attractively priced and well made. But what about the claims that it gives better color performance than a standard acromat?

Can anyone bear that out or have any comments on it. I've use 4" f7 acromats before and  was never particularly bothered by their color, although I could see it.

Thanks,

Ira

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:07 AM

Perhaps these pages help?

http://www.teleskop-...pochromaten.php

http://r2.astro-fore...-sonnenteleskop

#3 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:33 AM

This appears to be the Kunming United Optics scope sold in the US as the Astrotelescopes AT1522 and in Canada as the Canadian Telescopes 152.

There have been a lot of threads here on CN on these scopes. You might want to try searches with these other names.

I have one and think its a great value for a wide field large-ish refractor - great for cruising the Milky Way for example. A few have posted here Astro photos taken with narrow band techniques - excellent photos.

I'm a visual observer only and enjoy it's performance. CA is quite obvious to me but easily ignored on the dimmer objects it's intended for.

Edited by Don Taylor, 22 February 2015 - 09:33 AM.

#4 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:46 PM

Ira,

I had one (and this specific brand of the scope) and a great scope it was! The only reason I passed it on was the weight of 11.3 kilos (with rings and dovetail), which along with the necessary tripod and mount (I used a Skytee II), meant that my 12" dob was a much better proposition for the faint fuzzies (said 12" dob weights 14 kilos + 12 kilos for the dob base).

Yes, it does perform better than your average run of the mill achromat but don't expect great results on solar system objects, although it does respond well to aggressive filtering. If you have used Cats / Reflectors / APOs on solar system objects, you will definitely notice the difference, although the views are passable. Since you mention chromatic aberration referencing a 4" f7 keep in mind that it doesn't scale the same to 6" f5.9, i.e. chromatic aberration will be worse.

For deep sky, this scope is a beauty. Objectively speaking, it does (and have tested is as such) give your average 8" dob a run for its money. You do get the beautiful refractor clean views and contrast and in a "manageable" - for some - package for a 6" refractor. It's also user collimatable (a useful feature) and has a beefy focuser that can handle everything you throw at it.

I passed it on to a friend who uses it on a Celestron AVX and it rides pretty well when it's properly balanced so if you want goto features, you get a pretty nifty combination with the AVX.

I will note something however. People at outreach events tend to relate more to refractors - it's a more familiar design. The TS 6" is one imposing / impressive scope  :grin:

#5 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:11 PM

Here's a report I made from TSP 2014:

http://www.cloudynig...eport-from-tsp/

The following photos were from my home and not TSP but this is the basic setup I used at TSP2014:  I use it on the ASGT (CG5GT) as well as the Duo-T (called Sky-T in some markets)

DSC_2911_zps02bf9f22.jpg

DSC_2910_zps4b7797ec.jpg

#6 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

Great review, Don. Since my intended use for this scope is mostly wide-field, deep sky your enthusiasm is pushing me closer to pulling the trigger on this scope. I intend to mount it in tandem with my C8 on an iOptron MT Two. Also planning to use it with my Mallincam eXtreme for larger groups. The C8 is my go to scope for planetary viewing, and it's darned good at that. 

Have you tried the various blue-blocker filters with this scope? Are they effective at eliminating the fringe coloring without introducing too much false color?

/Ira 

#7 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:06 AM

I actually have the Baader Fringekiller and also the LongPass 495 but I have not really tested either. So far I have enjoyed the scope without the filters. I should try I suppose, perhaps when the snow melts.

#8 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

Does anyone have any eyes-on experience with this refractor or informed opinions about it?

https://www.teleskop...-Objective.html

I need a widefield RFT for my star tours, but would also use it on solar system objects.

It seems attractively priced and well made. But what about the claims that it gives better color performance than a standard acromat?

Can anyone bear that out or have any comments on it. I've use 4" f7 acromats before and  was never particularly bothered by their color, although I could see it.

Thanks,

Ira

Hi Ira.

The scope is made by Kunming United Optics.  It has been sold previously under the Astrotelescopes and Canadian Telescopes brands.  I currently have the Astrotelescopes version.  The primary difference between mine and the version now offered by Telescope Service is the focuser.  Mine has the imported 2.5" R&P focuser offered on various scopes by Stellarvue, APM and others as a bargain alternative to Starlight Instruments R&P focusers.

I do not agree that the scope offers better color correction than a standard 6" f/5.9 achromat.  It has oodles and oodles of false color.  You can read my early report here:

http://www.cloudynig...scopes-152-f59/

I still have the scope and use it occasionally.  For big 2" eyepieces and low power sweeping it remains a lot of fun.  But if you could live with 1.25" wide fields, I think a Celestron C6 with the f/6.3 FF/FR is similar in role, costs a lot less, and is much easier to mount and live with on a daily basis.  I also think that the Vixen NA140 provides a better scope (flatter field) for a similar role (unobstructed medium aperture low power sweeping), albeit for more money.

Though I did sell my C6 and have thus far hung onto the 6" achromat.  I am planning on a heavier duty alt-az mount in the coming months.  I will wait until I've tried the scope on that mount to decide whether I'm going to keep it.

- Jim 

#9 GJJim

GJJim

Skylab

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:04 PM

That review settles it, I'm saving my money for DKDs 10" f/5 "planet killer" doublet.  :grin: 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics