•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 16" Schmidt-Cassegrain OTA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 conus

conus

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:13 AM

Anyone know if Meade would sell their 16" Schmidt-Cassegrain OTA by itself, without the fork? If so, I wonder how much it would weigh?

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:26 AM

Astronomics lists the OTA at $8500 and 110 pounds.

#3 conus

conus

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:38 AM

Thanks. Went to Astronomics and saw it listed w/fork at 14,000, but didn't see it without. Saw it Anacortes by itself for 8500.

Have you ever heard of anyone putting it on an equatorial mount, such as Software Bisque's Paramount ME or Losmandy's Titan?

#4 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:58 AM

I have never heard anything about the optics on the 16inch SCTS, that might be something you might want to check into... 8500 dollars eh I think I would go with an AP refractor at that price, buts that just me

#5 michaeloconnell

michaeloconnell

Apollo

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:14 PM

The Titan can take 100 lbs from what I recall. This may not be enough. You might need the paramount - unfortunately it's very expensive. I wonder are there any other mounts out there up to the job :question:

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 03 March 2004 - 01:23 PM

Hi, Steve.

I think I've seen some pictured on EQ mounts in observatories. I like Meades and my main instrument right now is a Meade SCT - but before I spent $8500 on the bare 16" I'd buy a C14 and an excellent refractor. From what I've heard and read, the chances of excellence out of the box are higher with the C14 than with the Meade 16". The Meade 14" is very nice also (I love mine), but the bare OTA is both heavier and more expensive than the C14. The Meade 14" is only a bargain when bundled as an LX200GPS.

#7 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 03 March 2004 - 04:09 PM

I wonder why the Meades are so much heavier than the Celestrons?

Besides, I wonder who would want a 110 lb. sct ota. The main point of an SCT is compactness and weight. If it weighs 110ln, you're better off with a truss reflector.

#8 conus

conus

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2004 - 04:37 PM

If it weighs 110ln, you're better off with a truss reflector

Just went to RC Optical's site. Their 14.5" truss only weighs 70 pounds. The 16" truss is 89.

#9 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 03 March 2004 - 04:50 PM

I wonder why the Meades are so much heavier than the Celestrons?

Some of the extra weight is due to Meade's practice of using oversized primary mirrors. Dunno about the rest - it sure isn't because they use a better focuser!

#10 erik

erik

telescope surgeon

Posted 03 March 2004 - 08:41 PM

what about the EQ mount that parks uses on their 16" newtonian? i don't know if they'd sell it separately and it wouldn't be cheap, but it would definitely be up to the task. that mount is massive, it makes meade's mount that they use with the 16" newt look puny.

#11 Suk Lee

Suk Lee

Aurora

Posted 03 March 2004 - 08:48 PM

Dunno about the rest - it sure isn't because they use a better focuser!

:lol: :roflmao: :lol:

#12 oscaro

oscaro

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 March 2004 - 06:13 PM

Steve,

I thought the C14 ota was more expensive than the Meade 14?

Oscar Ortega

>The Meade 14" is very nice also (I love mine), but the bare
>OTA is both heavier and more expensive than the C14.

#13 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 31 March 2004 - 07:47 PM

Steve,

I thought the C14 ota was more expensive than the Meade 14?

Oscar Ortega

Hi, Oscar.

Yes, I was wrong about that. I dunno why I remembered it the other way around. The C14 is over $1000 more but does include visual accessories.

#14 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 01 April 2004 - 12:14 AM

A friend of mine is mounting her 16" Meade OTA on an (IIRC) AP1200. She waited literally for years for Meade to offer the bare 16" OTA with UHTC - it had just come in last November, but I haven't talked to her since then.

#15 Ricky

Ricky

Gemini

Posted 01 April 2004 - 11:33 AM

Where do you find women like that??? I mean shes in my dreams at least once a week! :) I can just see myself now walking through the front door from work..." Hi hon how was your day? ok...rough one though, how was yours? You know that 16" ive been waiting for??? I just ordered it!!!! I hope you dont mind..." :bigshock: :bow:

sorry for the ot...

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 April 2004 - 11:36 AM

I don't know if you've had the chance to use the 16" Meade, but here's one way to if you have the time. Kitt Peak Observatory (near Tucson AZ) has two public observing programs - the first runs from 6pm - 10pm each day ($35 per person, you share a scope with about 20 other people and an astronomy guide); the second is an all night observation session by yourself with an astronomy guide that begins after the first session, you can sit in on the first session as well (more $$$, but really neat). Kitt Peak uses a 16" Meade and a 20" Ritchey Chretien (mounted on the Software Bisque mount, $10,000), as well as TV Nagler optics (we used the 31 and 17 primarily). We started out on the 20" for the early session and moved to the Meade for the all night session - but they'll let you do either, depending on who else has reservations that night. Its a hike from Orange County, but I thought this might be a way for you to try before you buy.

#17 conus

conus

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2004 - 12:43 PM

Its a hike from Orange County, but I thought this might be a way for you to try before you buy.

Thanks. I may eventually try that just for the observing, but I can't see putting out that much for that OTA.

#18 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 01 April 2004 - 11:00 PM

Where do you find women like that??? I mean shes in my dreams at least once a week! :) I can just see myself now walking through the front door from work..." Hi hon how was your day? ok...rough one though, how was yours? You know that 16" ive been waiting for??? I just ordered it!!!! I hope you dont mind..." :bigshock: :bow:

sorry for the ot...

I found her when I was severely tempted by her pristine C14, which she had for sale....this will be more painful: When I last saw her, she was trying to figure how to get the OTA up to her dome observatory (on what would be the third floor).

You also need to know that walking through the door gets you greeted by her 125 lb. Akita (who, for some reason glommed onto me as his long-lost best friend - the way I smell, perhaps?)

#19 oscaro

oscaro

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:15 AM

If you want mounts that can handle the weight but are not
as expensive go to Optic-Craft Machining. They have german equatorial mounts of any size you would want along with drives of any size. I have their 12" and 6.6" drive, will upgrade the 6.6 to 9" drive...luckily I never installed them so I can return the 6.6". I am also thinking of either a 14" or maybe a 16" SCT. Here is the link: http://www.opticcraf...copemounts.html

You would have to install digital setting circles on it. I bought the sky commander to put on them. Or you can go with the goto system they recommend. Terry Clinard is a great guy to deal with!!.:grin:

Hope this helps
Oscar Ortega

#20 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:44 AM

To go cheap but sturdy, you can find now and then MeadeDS16" mounts on Astro-Mart - often from people who have converted the big gun to a closed or open-truss dob. Those mounts are considered a little flimsy for the huge 16" newtonian tubes, but should work ok with the 16"SCT OTA, no?

#21 oscaro

oscaro

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:15 AM

I saw the site you are talking about...is the meade 16" on
an original mount. Just wondering how good is it for imaging?

For that matter how is their 14" scope which is what I am leaning to for imagin. It seems most everyone out there gets a different mount when there are going to do imaging.

Thanks
Oscar Ortega

#22 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:25 AM

For that matter how is their 14" scope which is what I am leaning to for imagin. It seems most everyone out there gets a different mount when there are going to do imaging.

Thanks
Oscar Ortega

There are plenty of reasons for choosing a GEM over a fork mount for imaging. I have gone against the flow by switching from a GEM to the 14" Meade forkmount for a few reasons.

For planetary or Lunar imaging, which I enjoy, the forkmount is OK. For visual use the forkmount is more convenient and takes up less observatory space - and I'm primarily a visual kind of guy.

I can't report on my success for deep sky imaging with the forks because I haven't been able to try this rig yet - but I'll keep the gang posted as weather permits (still snowing here as of yesterday). When I do begin deep sky it'll be with a 4" APO piggybacked onto the Meade; 3500mm focal length is too long for most deepsky work. I may experiment with eyepiece projection on the SCT but I've never tried that yet.

#23 conus

conus

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2004 - 11:15 AM

Here's another person who builds equatorial mounts. Plenty of information at the Yahoo group. http://www.gemini-instruments.com/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics