•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A clean poorly lit place

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:46 PM

I posted a couple of pictures in the "Post a picture of your observatory" thread.  Posting progress pictures there is wrong, so I'll post some catch-up pictures here.  First is a Photo from Christmas time:

Plot 6 122415 NW roof on.JPG

Here's a photo of the inside of the west wall before radiant barrier and sheet rock were installed.  You can see the exhaust fan on the right, and toward the left is the conduit that routes 120V power to the pier.  Outside the left edge of the frame are the 24VDC and 12VDC power supplies.

Plot 6 122714 electrical.JPG

Here's a photo looking at the south east corner of the building, showing the siding work nearly complete.  I may get a chance to work on the exterior trim next weekend.

Plot 6 012415 SE roof on.JPG

Finally for now, a picture of the inside of the east wall with sheet rock.  The holes are for RGB LED lamps (I'll be able to make them shine red or white and dim them).  My chart table will be in the south east corner (the right side in this photo).

Plot 6 030715 east.JPG

• Megabusa likes this

#2 Bill-in-BC

Bill-in-BC

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia, East Kootenays

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:21 AM

Looks good.  Also looks like you're blessed with lots of observatories in the neighbourhood.

#3 Starman27  Happy Birthday!

Starman27

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the catch up on your nice build. Where is it located?

#4 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:32 PM

Happy Pi Day.

No pictures this week, the work completed wouldn't show up very well anyway.  My father-in-law and I taped and mudded the dry wall and got the first skim coat of mud on.  We're hoping that next week we can sand, patch and prime.  I may also get set to work on leveling the floor, too.

A bit of frustration took the wind out of my sails, so to speak.  The fixes I tried on the ceiling didn't work and I'll have to do that ceiling all over again from scratch.  I've pretty well decided to concentrate on all things below 5'-0" and leave the new ceiling work as a fix-it project for after the observatory is operating.  Darn.

#5 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:33 AM

Just guessing (as you won't tell us) but it looks like RoR Alley:-)
  • scmense likes this

#6 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:54 PM

nytecam,

The club I belong to is letting members, including me, build private observatories at the site.  As you've noticed, it's a popular program.

#7 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

After a rainy weekend last week, my father-in-law and I were able to make some progress this weekend.  This first picture is looking from the SE.  You can see the corner trim installed on the fixed walls.  A friend and fellow club member, Ed F. helped me with some site housekeeping by taking a trash pile that had been accumulating to the dump in his truck.  Thanks, Ed.

Plot 6 032915 SE roof off.JPG

This photo is looking from the NW.  More corner trim and I think you can see the door now hung (finally).  The ropes are for pulling the roof open.  I fell victim to the law of unintended consequences when I installed the sheet rock earlier this year: I covered up all my hand holds for opening the roof.  The rope works better, anyway.

Plot 6 032915 NW roof off.JPG

This photo is of the inside looking at the east wall.  I installed the corner bead early Saturday morning and spent the rest of the morning before lunch floating and feathering.  My father-in-law spent the afternoon doing what I hate: sanding the drywall.  He also used to surplus paint from our house to prime the walls.  The final color inside will not be robin's egg blue, but there's no use wasting good paint on fresh drywall, let "junk paint" soak in.  We need to do some more floating, feathering and sanding, but there is progress.

Plot 6 032915 east wall.JPG

And here's the inside, west wall.  A good look at the door.

Plot 6 032915 west wall.JPG

#8 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

There really has been work going on these past weeks, but the progress has been incremental.  Until this week.  I finally got sick of building and wanted t start observing, so I installed the mount and scope.  We even got to see stars!

Here's a photo of the inside of the observatory with the scope in and the roof off.  This was taken looking over the wall at the south east corner of the building.  I can see Polaris over the roof quite well.  I'm glad the south wall will drop down, there are too many good objects below twenty-five degrees elevation.

Plot 6 041815 inside  SE.JPG

This photo was taken looking over the wall from the south west corner.  On the right side you can see the chart table I installed in the corner.

Plot 6 041815 inside SW.JPG

From the north east corner.  You can see the vent fan near the floor.

Plot 6 041815 inside NE.JPG

Finally from the north west corner. 

Plot 6 041815 inside NW.JPG

Most everything worked out well.  There is plenty of room to walk around without ducking and dodging.  The pier is a good height except when viewing at zenith.  If I have the Newtonian secondary mirror in I need a short ladder.  If I have the Cassegrain secondary in, I sit on the floor.  I got lucky that the counterweights clear the pier: I forgot to do that bit of trigonometry.  The roof doesn't clear the scope with the mount is in "counter weight shaft down" position, so I had to define a new "home" position to park the mount in.  The pier lets me set more aggressive safety limits than when I use a tripod, though, and at least for visual it's really steady.

Edited by macdonjh, 19 April 2015 - 05:46 PM.

• Deven Matlick and FOUNTAIN1 like this

#9 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:38 AM

After a much longer-than-intended break to use my observatory rather than build it, I have made some incremental progress.  I installed soffits last weekend and made progress finishing the siding and trim work this weekend.  I plan to continue July 11 and plan to post updated pictures then.

• FOUNTAIN1 likes this

#10 jwheel

jwheel

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fort Davis TX

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:00 PM

Nice!

#11 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:03 PM

I know it's been a long time, but I have been doing a bit of work whenever I go out to our club's site.  I'm happier than you can imagine to say that the outside carpentry is done enough that I can stop thinking about it for a while.  Good thing, too, I'm sick of carpentry.  I was also able to get my wiz-bang lights working-- the problem was the remote control is infra-red, which didn't do well once all the wiring was hidden in the wall.  Since it's now summer, the thermostat-controlled exhaust fan is now turning on and turning off automatically, and the radiant barrier is making a noticeable difference in the interior temperature when the roof is closed.

Here's a photo from the south east corner:

Plot 6 071115 SE.JPG

Edited by macdonjh, 14 July 2015 - 01:47 AM.

#12 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:05 PM

More photos. 

From the north west:

Plot 6 071115 NW.JPG

#13 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

And a closer view showing the door trim:

Plot 6 071115 NW 1.JPG

#14 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:08 PM

And another on the inside, looking at the west wall:

Plot 6 071115 west wall.JPG

#15 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:43 PM

Got more work than I'd planned to accomplish completed this weekend.  I'd only planned on partial progress with a couple of tasks, so I didn't bring a camera.  My bad.  I'm planning another trip this weekend to take advantage of the hugh high pressure system that's keep the 3rd Coast hot and clear, so more photos next week.

#16 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:53 PM

This really caught my attention ; " A clean poorly lit place ! " Sounds like the story of my life .  :crazy: 

Anyway ! It's looking real good :waytogo: Good Build .

I gotta ask ? Is everyone who lives in your neighborhood into Astronomy , I bet the name of your subdivision is Star Party Row , or could be Observatory Lane  :lol: 

That's So Cool !  all the neighbors getting together to have a Star Party :band:  

Nate

#17 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

A bit more work over the past few weekends.  Here are some shots of the inside of the building.  Three or four weeks ago I installed some steel plate to fix the sag in my roof.  Next I installed the finished flooring.  I also painted the pier and got the electrical boxes installed a bit more elegantly than with zip ties.  I got the exterior lighting installed, but no dimmer or photocell yet. 

Here's a photo of the inside from the north east corner. 

Plot 6 081515 NE.JPG

One from the south east corner.  I'm working on a solution to get rid of that big black box so that all I have inside is cases with eye pieces and other scope stuff.

Plot 6 081515 SE.JPG

From the other side, the north west corner.  You can see that I'm making progress in getting the construction paraphernalia removed.  The work isn't slowing down any, really, but it is changing to one-day projects rather than those that take several weekends to complete.

Plot 6 081515 NW.JPG

And from the south west corner.  You can see the electrical boxes (120VAC near the bottom of the pier, 12VDC and the currently unused data conduit box) now attached with screws instead of zip ties.  Stronger and looks better.

Plot 6 081515 SW.JPG

Edited by macdonjh, 16 August 2015 - 02:34 PM.

• Deven Matlick and Astronomer'sApprentice like this

#18 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

And here are a couple of outside photos.  This first shot is from the west, showing a little more proof that I really am getting things cleaned up.  Most of the extra building materials have been moved elsewhere on the site so that other people can use them.  Or so I can use them if I get to them first.

Plot 6 081515 outside W.JPG

And here is a shot from the same west side after dusk that shows the outside lights.  Sure they're bright now, but I'll get a dimmer and photocell shortly.  In the mean time, I've used a couple of layers of high-tech painter's tape to cut down the glare.  It's not quite as bright as shown in the photo.

Plot 6 081515 night lights.JPG

Next step inside is molding and base boards.  Outside is grading and stabilizing the area under the roll-off beams so that no one has to mow under there.

#19 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:46 PM

This really caught my attention ; " A clean poorly lit place ! " Sounds like the story of my life .  :crazy:

Anyway ! It's looking real good :waytogo: Good Build .

I gotta ask ? Is everyone who lives in your neighborhood into Astronomy , I bet the name of your subdivision is Star Party Row , or could be Observatory Lane  :lol:

That's So Cool !  all the neighbors getting together to have a Star Party :band:  

Nate

Nate, sorry I just saw your post.  Thanks for your kind words.  Our club started letting club members build personal observatories last year.  I waffled almost too long and nearly missed my chance.  I was one of the last to commit.  Shortly after I started building in October last year the club opened another set of lots on the west side of the club's dark site, so the neighborhood is getting bigger.

#20 caober

caober

Lift Off

• Loc: San Antonio area

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

Looking good!

#21 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

Wow is that a cool club you belong to!

-Rich

#22 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:29 PM

-Rich

We think we're cool.  Thanks, Rich.

• kwaz likes this

#23 caober

caober

Lift Off

• Loc: San Antonio area

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

Think? We know it! :)
  • kwaz likes this

#24 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:25 AM

The TAAA out here tried something like this and a member within the club decided to interfere and managed to kill it. So, if anything like it were attempted again, it will need to be by a stealth club, since perfect sites aren't hard to find out here and the land is literally dirt cheap.

-Rich

#25 SteveGR

SteveGR

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:36 AM

-Rich

We think we're cool.  Thanks, Rich.

Well, if you wear leather jackets, wear dark glasses, and carry a switchblade, you can aspire to "Botanist Cool".*  :)

*This will only make sense if you have read "The Martian" by Andy Weir.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics