•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A clean poorly lit place

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#26 caober

caober

Lift Off

• Loc: San Antonio area

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:05 AM

Read it and got the reference :)

Perhaps Dark Skies Apparel can produce leather versions of their observing vests and hoods for us. We'll need a place to hold our AL pins and to hold our dark red glasses (to preserve night vision). Switchblade? Leatherman or Gerber multi-tool with various Allen wrenches and collimating tools.
  • ShaulaB and Thandal like this

#27 JJK

JJK

Gemini

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:45 AM

What kind of flooring did you install?  I'd like to add some to my RoR observatory this Fall or next Spring.

#28 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:13 AM

What kind of flooring did you install?  I'd like to add some to my RoR observatory this Fall or next Spring.

It's vinyl "tile" I got at Lumber Liquidators.  The tiles are 4mm thick x 7" wide x 48" long, and have interlocking tongues and grooves at each edge, so they go down like Pergo.  It can be glued down but I chose to leave it floating to it could expand and contract with temperature changes.

My original plan was to use an engineered wood floor, surplus stock from Lumber Liquidators or Home Depot so it would be cheap.  I got lots of advice against that because the building isn't climate controlled: to much expansion and contraction and drying and soaking up moisture.

#29 JJK

JJK

Gemini

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:55 PM

It's vinyl "tile" I got at Lumber Liquidators.  The tiles are 4mm thick x 7" wide x 48" long, and have interlocking tongues and grooves at each edge, so they go down like Pergo.  It can be glued down but I chose to leave it floating to it could expand and contract with temperature changes.

My original plan was to use an engineered wood floor, surplus stock from Lumber Liquidators or Home Depot so it would be cheap.  I got lots of advice against that because the building isn't climate controlled: to much expansion and contraction and drying and soaking up moisture.

How does it feel on the feet, and does it lay flat (and not catch foot fall), given that it's not glued down?

#30 Chucke

Chucke

Viking 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

Hi Starhawk,

I am curious.  Why would a member nix the idea of private observatories?

Chuck

#31 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:16 AM

How does it feel on the feet, and does it lay flat (and not catch foot fall), given that it's not glued down?

Yes, it lays flat and does not catch on shoes.  The pieces have interlocking tongue-and-groove joints that keep the pieces together if they are installed correctly.

#32 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:20 AM

More progress this weekend, at least a little.  I installed base boards and casing around the door, painted the inside of the door, and placed some rock in the space between the pier and the floor.  The rock didn't seem to affect the isolation of the pier from the floor, and I think it looks better than the open hole in the floor.

Here's a photo of the newly painted door:

Plot 6 090615 SE.JPG

And here's a photo showing a bit more of the inside, including the base of the pier:

Plot 6 090615 NE.JPG

• Rouzbeh likes this

#33 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:03 PM

First, the progress on the observatory:

A view of the inside from the south east:

Plot 6 092615 SE.JPG

And from the north east:

Plot 6 092625 NE.JPG

From the south west:

Plot 6 092615 SW.JPG

And from the north west.  You'll notice that my old scope, the 10" Parks hybrid, is now being stored on the wall.  The additional brackets below are for my 6" f/12 refractor.  I hope by moving that scope out to the club's dark site that I'll use it more frequently.  The views through the scope are wonderful, but it is a hassle to set up for a bit of week night observing, so it stays in the cupboard most of the time at home.

Plot 6 092615 NW.JPG

Finally, a close-up of the chart table.  I built the shelf last weekend and installed it, and the light, today.  I couldn't find the paint, but will get it painted next weekend I hope.

Plot 6 092615 chart table.JPG

As you can see, no progress on the outside.  Some day, sooner rather than later, I'll get the building painted and some storage built outside.

Edited by macdonjh, 26 September 2015 - 07:06 PM.

#34 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:13 PM

Now for what all of you really wanted to see: close-ups of my new scope.  My plan worked: I brought the new scope out this weekend, full moon weekend, so that if the New Glass Curse struck the clouds and rain would happen this weekend, not next weekend during our club's annual picnic.  As I said, it worked, it was raining when I was ready to take pictures.  So, these are preliminary.  More details next weekend if the weather is better.  If there are details you'd like to see, PM me and I'll try to remember to accommodate your request.  Don't worry, I already know to take photos of the secondary holder, the primary mirror and baffle, the primary mirror cover, etc.

Right side:

350mm f15 right.JPG

Left side:

350mm f15 left.JPG

Front:

350mm f15 front.JPG

Edited by macdonjh, 26 September 2015 - 07:37 PM.

• PhilCo126, Deven Matlick and Stevegeo like this

#35 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:10 PM

Holy cow, it's been six months since I posted an update.  I've spent the last few weekends painting and did some site work this weekend.  Thursday afternoon I got the trim painting touched-up and the door painted.  On Friday I spent the day cutting sod and moving dirt to put some stabilized base under the gantry and around the building.  Here are the latest photos, this batch from Friday evening.  These photos were taken at dusk before I started observing.  This first is from the south east.  The interior lights are currently shining white, but I can push a button on the remote control and make them shine red (or green, blue, orange...).

Plot 6 040716 SE.JPG

And from the south west.  You can see the business end of the mighty CFF 350 pointing toward the skinny moon.  The seeing wasn't very good this close to sunset, so the moon looked better naked-eye than through the scope.

Plot 6 040716 SW.JPG

And finally, from the north west.  Here is a pretty good view of my now toned-down exterior lights.  I hope the lights help keep other club members from bumping their heads on my low gantry beams.

Plot 6 040716 NW.JPG

Edited by macdonjh, 09 April 2016 - 02:24 PM.

#36 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:22 PM

Here are some photos from Saturday morning.  I woke up a little less tired, so I moved a few more bucket loads of base material and got the rest of the border covered.  The border is a promise I made to our club's volunteer grounds keepers.  Now they don't have to mow under my gantry, or do any weed eating around my building since the mower can get right up to the border.  First a view from the north east.

Plot 6 040916 NE.JPG

And from the south east:

Plot 6 040916 SE.JPG

The south west:

Plot 6 040916 SW.JPG

Edited by macdonjh, 09 April 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#37 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:31 PM

And one last view from the north west.

Plot 6 040916 NW.JPG

The next project is to get the support posts for the southern drop-down wall installed and to get the slab poured at the north end of the gantry for a couple of deck boxes.  That will allow me to get almost everything out of the observatory except for the scope and eye pieces.

• ThomasT likes this

#38 denny-o

denny-o

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hemlock, mi

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

Likely you will grow weeds on the 'base material'. You may need to treat it with herbicide.

#39 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:59 PM

Likely you will grow weeds on the 'base material'. You may need to treat it with herbicide.

Of course, but not nearly so quickly or thickly as they grew in the soil before I created a two-sack mix and then added three inches of the base material.

#40 Bigdan

Bigdan

Viking 1

• Loc: Panacea, FL

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

What a gorgeous build. That is a huge project. Is that a kind of combo RV park/obsy site? I'm wondering if you've spent the night there.... in the obsy, or an RV? The whole concept there is really cool. Looks like you have a G11

Edited by Bigdan, 10 April 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#41 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:43 AM

The site is our club's dark site which has some RV spaces and now several observatories built by club members.  I've been spending clear nights out there for almost ten years.  Some times on a cot, in a tent, in the club's bunk house, now in my observatory.

Thanks for the kind words.  Getting to the point when I could mount the scope took about six months of Saturdays.  Once I could observe, construction slowed appreciably.  It seems amazing when I look back through this thread that I've been working off and on for eighteen months now.  I'm pretty much down to tinkering now.

Yes, that is a G11.

Edited by macdonjh, 10 April 2016 - 11:45 AM.

#42 Dustin Smith

Dustin Smith

Ranger 4

• Vendors
  • Loc: Roswell, GA

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:24 PM

Beautiful. Congrats!

#43 Noisykids

Noisykids

Apollo

• Loc: ma

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:14 PM

once had a job interview where the first question was, "what's your vision of what a kitchen should be like?" and my answer was, "A clean, well-lighted place" but the guy was clueless.

#44 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

Not everyone has read their classic American authors.

#45 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

It was cleaning day at Horatio's Long Focus Lounge.  Here are some photos of my new closet, which allows me to remove all non-astronomy stuff from my observatory.  From the north east:

Plot 6 052916 NE.JPG

From the south east:

Plot 6 052916 SE.JPG

From the south west:

Plot 6 052916 SW.JPG

#46 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:19 PM

Here are the results of adding a closet and doing a bit of spring cleaning.  I was able to recover most of the space I had lost to stuff.  From the north east:

Plot 6 052916 in NE.JPG

In this view, from the north west, you can see the small fan I installed on the wall.  It's more to keep mosquitoes from doing what they want than for cooling anything.

Plot 6 052916 in NW.JPG

In this view, from the south east, you can see the table I bought to hold my eye piece case.  It's on furniture slides so I can drag it around with me and always have my eye pieces close by.  Eventually, I'll get some foam cut and attach it to the top of the table so I can keep my most used half-dozen eye pieces out and ready.  I'll also have a dust cover sewn from some light-weight, breathable cloth.

Plot 6 052916 in SE.JPG

And in this view, from the south west, you can see the new cover from CFF that I hope will keep mud daubers from building nests behind the primary mirror.  I think I got it just in time: there was a small wasp's nest on the inside of the TeleGizmos cover I keep over everything when I'm not there.

Plot 6 052916 in SW.JPG

Edited by macdonjh, 29 May 2016 - 03:36 PM.

• torsinadoc likes this

#47 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

Finally, here are a couple of photos taken through the doorway.  This is looking due south.  All this space now greets me when I open the door.

Plot 6 052916 DW 1.JPG

This is taken looking a bit east, toward where my other scopes and my eye pieces are kept.

Plot 6 052916 DW 2.JPG

#48 FOUNTAIN1

FOUNTAIN1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winder, Ga

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:25 PM

Loved the latest pictures of your set up!  :waytogo:

#49 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

There have been no huge changes at Horatio's Long Focus Lounge in the past year.  I did finally get posts installed to support my southern drop down wall.

Plot 6 070117 SE.JPG

Plot 6 070117 SW.JPG

I also got some oil on the gantry structure. My goodness that lumber was dry.  I hope I didn't wait too long.

Plot 6 070117 NW.JPG

Soon it was dark enough to start observing:

Plot 6 070117 twilight.JPG

• mlanglois, torsinadoc and parebal0 like this

#50 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:33 AM

Very nice setup.  like-button.jpg 

• jcj380 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics