•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A clean poorly lit place

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2021 - 06:28 PM

A couple of catch-up photos from the past weeks.  First up: sheet rock repair and preparation for painting.  I hate sheet rock work, and I'm not good at it, but gotta do it, so:

210411 Plot 6 from doorway small.jpg

And last week was paint:

210417 Plot 6 from doorway small.jpg

This is kind of a "glamour shot" in that it doesn't show the pile of stuff displaced by the painting work.  It's safely out of sight in another corner.

#77 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2021 - 06:35 PM

This week's goal was to get the trim installed and everything put back in place.  Like a dummy, I left my paint at my observatory last weekend so I couldn't paint it during the week.  I did get it painted today.  I also got all my lights, plates, and other bits reinstalled.  I cleaned everything as I went since some things hadn't been actually cleaned since I finished construction six years ago.  I also got the floor mostly cleaned up, though I'll have to borrow my missus' Swiffer next weekend to take up the dried dust and grime.

The base boards are simply laid in place, I didn't have access to an air compressor today, so I exercised some patience and didn't use finish nails and a hammer.  First is looking in the doorway:

210424 Plot 6 drom doorway small.jpg

And looking over the wall from the south-west corner:

210424 Plot 6 from SW corner 1 small.jpg

Next weekend I hope to install the base boards and door molding, get the door jam painted, and do some work around the outside.  Oh, and get rid of those bags of stuff on the floor.  Then, since it'll be 3rd Quarter Moon, perhaps get some observing in.

Edited by macdonjh, 24 April 2021 - 06:40 PM.

• Scott Mitchell likes this

#78 SkipW

SkipW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 24 April 2021 - 07:57 PM

I hate sheet rock work, and I'm not good at it...

I resemble that remark. 

Nice looking job, despite your trepidation.

#79 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2021 - 06:45 AM

I resemble that remark. 

Nice looking job, despite your trepidation.

Thank you.

#80 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2021 - 04:58 PM

Mostly finished with my floor project now. I installed the base boards this weekend.  I need to take some small screws out to secure things a bit better in a few places.  I also need to fill the nail holes, touch-up the paint and install that molding around my chart table.  First the photo looking through the door: 

210515 Plot 6  Through the door 4 small.jpg

I brought two of my weights home to repaint them.  I'll paint the third the next time I go out.  The paint I originally used may be a good primer, but it trapped dirt and and allowed mildew to get a foothold.  I hope the gloss enamel I'm using as a new top coat will help me avoid those problems.

Then from the south-west corner: 

210515 Plot 6 SW corner 1 small.jpg

Finally, the outside.  I did some spring cleaning this weekend as well.  Got rid of the worst of the weeds and spread a fresh layer of stabilized sand.  

210515 Plot 6 East elev small.jpg

Next up: replacing the door and finishing the ceiling.  The latter I do not look forward to.

Edited by macdonjh, 16 May 2021 - 11:34 AM.

• dmdouglass, R Botero and brave_ulysses like this

#81 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:28 PM

Mac,

Well, you certainly have a deluxe, well finished observatory. Pretty snazzy! Your interior looks almost like a living room.

Hope you get to spend a LOT of time there!

Best wishes.

Ron Abbott

#82 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:36 AM

Mac,

Well, you certainly have a deluxe, well finished observatory. Pretty snazzy! Your interior looks almost like a living room.

Hope you get to spend a LOT of time there!

Best wishes.

Ron Abbott

Not nearly enough, but it is a fine place to go when I get the chance.  Especially this time of year when it's not too hot.  Sitting on the lawn in a reclining deck chair soaking up the quiet is a great way to wait for dark.

#83 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2021 - 08:03 PM

210529 Plot 6 cable mgmt small.jpg

Pretty small incremental changes today.  There is now a power strip with USB charger ports installed under my chart table, and the various cables are a bit more under control than previously.  I also filled nail holes in my base boards, getting them ready for touch-up painting, measured for a new door and installed a drain for the A/C to route the condensate away from my foundation.

• dmdouglass and archer1960 like this

#84 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 September 2021 - 02:24 PM

After several years fighting poor pointing accuracy, my latest brainstorm was: prior to your observatory, your G11 could find objects even when your TFoV was 8' of arc.  What's changed?  One change I hadn't investigated is my power supply.  Prior to my observatory, I used a linear power supply, but my observatory had a switch-mode power supply.  As an experiment I unplugged the switch-mode power supply and set a linear power supply next to my pier and plugged it in.  Gemini behaved "better enough" to make me want to make that change permanent:

210911 Plot 6 before small.jpg

210911 Plot 6 after small.jpg

In this view you can see the (decloaked) linear power supply on the left.  It powers only my pier and the 12VDC outlets I have outside on my pad.  On the right is the remaining switching power supply, which powers the LED lights.  Everything else in my observatory is powered by 120VAC.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics